Thread: ULT on/off sticking

ULT on/off sticking

I picked up a ULE years ago with the ULT preinstalled from AGD. I aired it up last week and the on/off was sticking, so I gave it a little oil and it seemed to go away. Fast forward to tonight, getting it prepped for a big 24hr game this weekend, and while it fires, it is quietly leaking and sometimes it won't fire. This thing has a lot more moving parts (ULT) than my old Classic, so I'm not 100% sure what it is other than it sticking. If I pull out the ULT, is it supposed to easily slide in and out or is it supposed to be a super snug fit? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

add more oil first , does it leak when you hold the trigger back ?

I've added a substantial amount of oil, but it almost feels like I have to force the on/off in when I take it apart. I'll test out holding the trigger when I get home. Thanks!

maniacmechanic: it doesn't leak when I hold the trigger back.

should be in the power tube , LX oring spacer , go 1 size smaller , there is a stickied thread on LX
    Also try fiddlin with your field strip screw ( do this 1st ) , sometimes 1/16 of a turn makes a difference
    And yes on/off orings fit snug , it's a good push with your thumb

maniacmechanic: field strip screw didn't resolve it. trying to remove the spacer but it appears to be stuck, will find a way to get it out then get back to you. Thanks for the help.

use your field strip screw to pull the spacer ,, screw it in a little & pull

maniacmechanic: I have swapped spacers, and the o-ring in it, in the power tube, and it's still leaking. I was looking for the docs online but everything links to pages that are now removed on the AGD website since they redesigned over the past couple months ...

This may or may not apply to you, cloper. I have a friend with a ULE RT PRO with ULT trigger and it developed a leak we could not seem to figure out. I gave it to a much more experienced Mag guy than myself, and he narrowed the leak down to some tiny little oring in the ULT trigger kit.

In my opinion, the ULT trigger is nothing but trouble and I would avoid it if it were me ordering a new Mag.

One leaking o-ring is hardly nothing but trouble.

Cloper, may I suggest you start from the beginning. Tuning a LX yourself isn't hard, but it does take several steps that should be done in a particular order. That and a tank full of air.

1.) Before doing anything, swap out your level 10 spring with a level 7 spring known to be good. This is crucial for avoiding problems later on.

2.) Chrono to the desired FPS. If the gun will not fire, move on to step 3, then come back to this step before proceeding to step 4.

3.) Now it's time to make the level 10 simply not leak by selecting the best size carrier. This will take several tries to find the right one. Too large of a carrier will cause a leak. Too small of a carrier can cause the gun to not fire. Using a single power tube o-ring known to be good (preferably new), select the largest carrier that doesn't leak with it. It is important to use the same o-ring with every carrier you test out because no two o-rings are exactly the same size. Think of every individual o-ring as a unique snowflake, and the carriers are a method to custom fit a given o-ring to your LX bolt. So pick an o-ring and stick with it.
    Note: Ensure that the "other o-ring" on your carrier (the thin black one that wraps around the outside of the carrier) is not damaged or missing. These generally never need to be changed, but give them a quick visual inspection to make sure they are not the source of your leak.

4.) Once you've found the largest carrier that doesn't leak, dry fire the gun numerous times. After about 50 to 200 shots, it may suddenly develop a small leak again. This is normal, particularly if you are using a brand new o-ring. Your O-ring is merely breaking itself in. Go down one carrier size smaller to stop the leak. You should now be free of any leaks in your level 10 for the next few years.

5.) Now it's time to adjust how gentle your level 10 will be on paint. This involves selecting your spring, and just like selecting a carrier, this will also take several tries. Too short of a spring will chop paint too easily. Too long of a spring will prevent the gun from firing at all even though you can feel pressure in the trigger. So, select the longest spring that will still allow the gun to fire. Also, always insert the cut and of the spring onto the bolt first. Having the cut and point out from the bolt will cause problems.

6.) If you really want to fine-tune your level 10, you can take an overly long spring (one that does not allow the gun the fire) and trim it to the precise length to where it will allow the gun to fire. To do this, take the cut end of the spring and snip off no more than 1/4 turn at a time before testing it. Once the gun fires, you're done.

Follow these steps in order and you should be fine.
    Last edited by ghost flanker; 08-31-2016 at 06:06 PM.