Thread: Classic valve power tube

Classic valve power tube

I just bought a classic valve from this forum. It was leaking down the barrel so I took off the powertube tip and then there was a black O ring then the spacer .230. I put in a new O ring first then a .220 spacer then aired it up. I gradually increased the velocity then all of a sudden it leak down the barrel. If I held the trigger it would stop. So, sounds like a power tube O ring. Took off the powertube tip and the O ring was on the bolt stem? Every time I put the O ring back it continues to pull the O ring through the spacer and power tip and gets stuck on the top of the stem of the bolt. It is a level 7 bolt. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks, Paul

If holding the trigger stops the leak it's usually something in the on/off assembly. Pretty sure that o-ring goes below the PT spacer too.

Quote Originally Posted by correia3 View Post
    If holding the trigger stops the leak it's usually something in the on/off assembly.
    Incorrect. That's indication that it's in the power tube.

I could be mistaken. It wouldn't be the first time...

Yep. I was mixed up there. Probably in the power tube. Could be the "bottom half" of the on/off though...

The powertube oring shouldn't be black, for one thing. Hopefully you put in a urethane oring in its place. If not, a buna oring shouldn't be in there.

Your assembly sounds correct - O-ring, then spacer, then tip on top. Make sure you have the right kind of O-ring in the power tube. It should NOT be black, iirc it should be a urethane white-ish O-ring.

Quote Originally Posted by pwidby View Post
    Every time I put the O ring back it continues to pull the O ring through the spacer and power tip and gets stuck on the top of the stem of the bolt. It is a level 7 bolt. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks, Paul
    Sounds like the o-ring is the wrong size, too small.

I took the black one out and put in an AGD O ring from my part kits. Never had one pull and O ring through the spacer and the power tube tip. It seems like the right size O ring. Fits snug to the side walls of power tube and the bolt stem fits snug into the O ring. I did try another O ring from my parts kit but the O ring was loose on the bolt stem, I didn't air it up because being loose I figured it would not seal.

The oring isn't supposed to fit the bolt stem. It is designed to fit against the back of the bolt stem. Make sure you are using a powertube or on-off bottom oring and not a powertube tip oring. The powertube tip oring is larger in diameter.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Pwidby resolved the issue. It was an incorrectly sized o-ring. His mag is shooting great now.