Thread: Tippmann...

Tippmann...

Looks like Tippmann is making moves back into the firearm industry.

http://tippmannarmory.com

They always had various .22 caliber guns from mini machine guns to Thompson spin offs to mods using paintball bodies. Tippmann does a lot of things other than paintball. Diversifying is one of the huge reasons why Tippmann brand/family have never had dips in revenues.

Tippmann is not the " family " any more are they ?

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post
    Tippmann is not the " family " any more are they ?
    I think the Tippmann's are still kinda running the show there, but as I understand they merged with GI Sportz, so who know how much control they still really have.

From what i understand is, Dennis and the family sold interest to GI for just the distribution or branding of the paintball side, retaining naming production, or whatever else(those details can be found elsewhere). Where Ben went off and did his own thing with his own brand(BT). But the other fascets of the family company that does the machining, sowing machines, the firearms and whatever else they have their hand in, is still in the family.

That rifle looks interesting to say the least. Would be nice if they chose to offer it in a bigger cartridge though.

Quote Originally Posted by sjrtk View Post
    That rifle looks interesting to say the least. Would be nice if they chose to offer it in a bigger cartridge though.
    Why are they single shot ?

Who would want that ?

Not good for hunting or defence.

Single shots are great fun to shoot. I regularly hunt with a muzzle loader. But it think it is more about the enjoyment of shooting something like the Tippmann. One of the guys i rifle hunt with uses a Ruger Number 1 (single shot) in 6.5x55. Never have I seen him need a second shot, but I have seen him pass on marginal shots far more than folks with a repeater...

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Why are they single shot ?
    By design and the pattern. Legally, even if a replica, most of the repeater patents and royalties are probably still in effect, so why pay extra when a single shot rifle doesn't have their baggage.

Who would want that ?
    lots of people. Target shooters, hunters, period players, collectors. The list goes on.

Not good for hunting or defence.
    if you can't hunt with one shot, then you jeed to go to the target range. I don't know many animals that stick around asking "hey, where did that noise come from?" So at most, you only get one shot before the animal runs off.

Defense, a rifle for defense is useless even if it was a semi, a repeater or fully automatic. It's too long, unwieldy and cumbersome. You don't need the ability to hit something 300yds away when the target is less than 30ft. Besides, the pumping of a shotgun is enough to scare 99% of the people.

So its more of having a rifle that has a specific purpose than a rifle that could do everything. And that has yet to be made.

How often do you go to the range Doug ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    By design and the pattern. Legally, even if a replica, most of the repeater patents and royalties are probably still in effect, so why pay extra when a single shot rifle doesn't have their baggage.

lots of people. Target shooters, hunters, period players, collectors. The list goes on.

if you can't hunt with one shot, then you jeed to go to the target range. I don't know many animals that stick around asking "hey, where did that noise come from?" So at most, you only get one shot before the animal runs off.

Defense, a rifle for defense is useless even if it was a semi, a repeater or fully automatic. It's too long, unwieldy and cumbersome. You don't need the ability to hit something 300yds away when the target is less than 30ft. Besides, the pumping of a shotgun is enough to scare 99% of the people.

So its more of having a rifle that has a specific purpose than a rifle that could do everything. And that has yet to be made.
    Nobody,

I've got nothing against single shots. I own a few, but in response to your post...

Capacity wants/needs depend on what you're hunting. I've had many times where there were multiple rabbits or squirrels in one opportunity, and no, they don't always take off running. Even if they do, they sometimes stop while still within range. And with the wild boar hunts that seem popular (or necessary in some areas) right now, I see video after video of multiple animals taken in one opportunity. Deer, elk, and the like, I'll agree, most of the time one shot is either enough or all you get.

I would also kindly request clarification on how you state a rifle is too long/cumbersome for self defense, but you recommend a shotgun. I assume if you're pumping a shotgun to scare someone off, you're actually loading a round, so you plan on using it if pumping it doesn't scare the person off. Do you only play paintball with pistols, or do you use something you can shoulder? How is self defense different? Pistols (back to firearms) are garbage for self defense simply due to lack of energy, but they are convenient for self defense for a variety of other reasons, such as easy to carry, easy to have locked away inconspicuously in a small, quick-access safe, etc. Just because a rifle can hit something 300 yards away, doesn't mean that is what it has to be used for. It will put a tremendous amount of energy into something close up that is trying to ruin your day; the same holds true for a shotgun. Surely, you would want a rifle or shotgun if bad things started happening.
    Last edited by nak81783; 09-09-2016 at 08:09 PM.
    Last of the Salzburg Clan

Quote Originally Posted by nak81783 View Post
    Nobody,

I've got nothing against single shots. I own a few, but in response to your post...

Capacity wants/needs depend on what you're hunting. I've had many times where there were multiple rabbits or squirrels in one opportunity, and no, they don't always take off running. Even if they do, they sometimes stop while still within range. And with the wild boar hunts that seem popular (or necessary in some areas) right now, I see video after video of multiple animals taken in one opportunity. Deer, elk, and the like, I'll agree, most of the time one shot is either enough or all you get.

I would also kindly request clarification on how you state a rifle is too long/cumbersome for self defense, but you recommend a shotgun. I assume if you're pumping a shotgun to scare someone off, you're actually loading a round, so you plan on using it if pumping it doesn't scare the person off. Do you only play paintball with pistols, or do you use something you can shoulder? How is self defense different? Pistols (back to firearms) are garbage for self defense simply due to lack of energy, but they are convenient for self defense for a variety of other reasons, such as easy to carry, easy to have locked away inconspicuously in a small, quick-access safe, etc. Just because a rifle can hit something 300 yards away, doesn't mean that is what it has to be used for. It will put a tremendous amount of energy into something close up that is trying to ruin your day; the same holds true for a shotgun. Surely, you would want a rifle or shotgun if bad things started happening.
    I do see single shot weapons as specific weapons. Going rabbit hunting, were you know or expect multiple targets, then you'll be at a disadvantage. Again, know what and how you wish to hunt should dictate what you bring. If i were to go boar hunting, i won't bring a .22 cause its my favorite rifle. I will bring something more suitable.

For defense, yes power of a rifle round even compared to a pistol is vastly superior, yet that is if and it is a big if, you hit the target. The ability to put 7-20 .556 rounds in defending yourself is a mighty formidable wall of lead but that is if you hit the target. You can practice all you want but till you are in that situation, you will always miss more than you think. That is why a shotgun is always superior in that regards because of buck and ball. You don't need to be accurate, just accurate enough.

And for a shotgun, though length is comparable to, if not greater than a rifle. It is more of the stopping power, and the type of shot that it can deliver. And yes, the sound is the first warning, the second in the blast of 12g shell.

How often do you go to the range Doug ?
    The is literally a rifle/pistol range behind my house

Nobody,

Yes, except for the most highly trained and experienced, there will be more misses than hits. However, at typical self defense distances, there is little pattern spread with a shotgun, and a shotgun's main disadvantages have always been lack of capacity and difficult follow up shots due to recoil, size, weight, etc. Enter the semi, small to medium caliber, high capacity, carbine length, ergonomic handles sticking out wherever you please rifle.

Also, I'd rather not give any warning to someone with bad intentions by racking the shotgun. If they're able to hear the safety disengage, that's more warning than they deserve.

For me, if I had the time to prepare, were able to keep anything quickly accessible, etc., it would be AR or similar, then shotgun, and finally pistol.

Wish mine were that close. I make it out to shoot an average of weekly.

How often do you go ?

How often do you go ?
    Never. I am not a member nor do i own any firearms.... lol