Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Game with new (rebuilt) Minimag. Gun is great. Hate the trigger.

No matter what, i always have my anvil (classic valve mag bought new in 98). Mud, rain, walkons, experienced, a classic mag can and will hold its own no matter what.

What on/off comes with the X Valve? Is it expensive to replace? Nobody, you mentioned earlier that you can file down the pin to find the right balance of reactivity and bounce. Is that essentially like shimming the ULT? ....but, with the larger pin, trigger pull is still not lightened, correct? I ask because A) if I jack it all up, might have to replace it, lol, and B) reactive with light bounce sounds good (ULT) but I don't want a hair trigger. I still want a "relatively" mechanical feel to it.

..again, appreciate all the help with this.

The retro on-off comes with the X-vavle and has a 0.750" pin. You can get it with a custom pin length though, if specified at the time of order.

You can shim the retro on-off using level 10 or ULT shims between the two halves. You just can't put as many shims in as you can with the ULT. Too many shims will squeeze the oring and pinch the on-off pin causing it to stick. The shims simulate using a shorter pin without having to alter the pin.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

OK cool...that makes sense. Thank you.

Is there an all inclusive video or even a thread here on AO about how to properly set up the X valve and shim/tune the on off or ULT? ...I ask because I was reading a post on the AGD Facebook page where AGD mentions that the RT/X valve was never intended to bounce, but was rather a biproduct of the design. ...many users of course tune bounce into their set up, which makes sense. ...i spent a good deal of time with my wife's Etha last week, and I tuned the physical pull length, and debounce to get it where it just doesn't quite bounce, (although it still may fail a tourney tech inspection, lol). The Etha went from a mushy micro switch pull to a satisfying "almost mechanical" feel. She of course likes it very light, and she made me put it back, but the point of all that is that I really feel like I can tune the mag trigger, I just have to really learn WHAT I'm doing and how it effect the valve/trigger performance.

There are only guides, not videos.

The retro valve was never designed to bounce. The extra kick was designed to prevent short stroking the trigger, which could happen with unfamiliar-unpracticed users of the classic valve under rapid fire conditions.

The biggest thing you need to watch out for when tuning the valve to bounce, is to not make it too bouncy using a pin that is too short. A short pin causes the valve to open with less of the sear sticking up to contact the bolt. If the sear doesn't catch the bolt with enough contact area, it wears both the sear and the bolt lip rather quickly.

The retro valve was never designed to bounce. The extra kick was designed to prevent short stroking the trigger, which could happen with unfamiliar-unpracticed users of the classic valve under rapid fire conditions.
    That makes sense.

The biggest thing you need to watch out for when tuning the valve to bounce, is to not make it too bouncy using a pin that is too short.
    that shouldn't be a problem. I really want the "reactive" part...but I don't really want the bounce. From the sound of that...I'm guessing I should probably leave the pin as is when I do get around to the X valve.

People have had really good success with a 0.740" pin. It shortens the activation point without getting uncontrollable bounce. You can sometimes find that sweetspot, but it won't bounce everytime you fire.

That's interesting. Once I've got my money in hand, I'll give AGD a call/email and discuss it with them a little bit too.