Thread: Source / Bike Grip ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb Source / Bike Grip ?

We need to help Airgun Designs find a source for the bike grip rubber.

The foam stuff is embarrassing to us the mag community.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Lets go boys !

The foam is pretty bad, reminds me of an alley cat

Name:  303d1157051904-icd-picture-thread-alleycat06.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  55.9 KB

I use Jonal Laboratories at work for various rubber applications. They are not cheap, but they are high quality.

I definitely prefer the rubber over the foam. However, my top choice is simply a hard foregrip -- aluminum, carbon fiber, etc. There's no foam or rubber on X/E-mag battery packs or the super-majority of aftermarket foregrips.
    Last of the Salzburg Clan

There are so many nice bike grips out there. Trouble is the length.

http://www.bikermetric.com/product/s...ki-yamaha-hon/

Nothing wrong with the actual foregrip, what they need is something worthy of an Automag besides the cheap looking foam.

Looking at the SandFX markers is what got me thinking about this, the foam doesnt belong on those markers at all....

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Looking at the SandFX markers is what got me thinking about this, the foam doesnt belong on those markers at all....
    I assumed this was what made you start this thread. I thought the same thing at first sight.

Would a GripShift-length grip work? What's the necessary length?

I still think a vintage grip is the way to go.

These vintage coke bottle grips are cool, cut the bottoms off and you're good to go. Clean and simple.

I just purchased two vintage style sets with the finger grooves to see how they will look.
    There are a plethora of vintage grips that look usable to me, the old style grips look the most viable to cut to the proper length.

I'm not sure if this is the style that people want, nor if the ID is right? Palmer's Pursuit has ones that cover there regs

https://palmerspursuit.com/products/...nt=12133106631

Glad to see everyone working together and playing nice

Quote Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
    Glad to see everyone working together and playing nice

I play nice with everyone.

I have time off the next few weeks I can experiment with the mold idea.... I have plenty of those things laying around and could sacrifice one if need be.

The only issues I would foresee (other than being able to successfully mold one in the first place), is that the copy would be hard plastic, and that little lip that keeps them on wouldn't last long. Also, there will be a parting line where the two mold halves come together. May or may not look bad depending.

I have created parts like this for my job before. The easiest way we found to make parts was to use casting silicone in a pvc pipe with the part in the middle. Then we just cut the silicone mold in half and ouila, you have an exact mold copy. You insert the grip into the middle of the mold, use something like a female 1/8 npt fitting to keep it centered always, then slowly pour your urethane in. If you mixed it right there are no bubbles. If there are bubbles a vacuum chamber can take them out. After it cures, pull mold out of pipe and split in half. Preinstalled perfectly molded bike grip. Urethane can be ordered in any durometer you want so you can have a very hard or very squishy grip.

Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I have created parts like this for my job before. The easiest way we found to make parts was to use casting silicone in a pvc pipe with the part in the middle. Then we just cut the silicone mold in half and ouila, you have an exact mold copy. You insert the grip into the middle of the mold, use something like a female 1/8 npt fitting to keep it centered always, then slowly pour your urethane in. If you mixed it right there are no bubbles. If there are bubbles a vacuum chamber can take them out. After it cures, pull mold out of pipe and split in half. Preinstalled perfectly molded bike grip. Urethane can be ordered in any durometer you want so you can have a very hard or very squishy grip.
    The trick with castable Urethane is degassing it like you said. There are a lot of good products out there that do not require it to be degassed and that cure very durable. The downside is that you loose some of the options regarding durometer.

Every other marker in existence uses a metal regulator as it's "foregrip." I would design something aluminum that would screw into the existing vertical adapter. Make it compatible with the Exalt grips (or include one) and call it a day.

PBN Feedback AO Feedback eBay Feedback

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS (Rob Kenny and Matt Bradley) LIVE @ www.djinnuendo.com TUES 2/8 - 8 to 10PM

Quote Originally Posted by rkjunior303 View Post
    Every other marker in existence uses a metal regulator as it's "foregrip." I would design something aluminum that would screw into the existing vertical adapter. Make it compatible with the Exalt grips (or include one) and call it a day.
    Yes and yes! I had been drawing up a front grip that would utilize Exalt's Luxe grip - super comfy! Unfortunately my Solidworks licence expired and with it alot of my lofty Mag dreams. Still, a grip that used the Luxe or Shocker RSX rubber would be great (along with some matching Exalt 45 grips?)
    You would expect Exalt to be eager to collaborate as it would mean more sales of a grip that is otherwise proprietary to one gun...

I think you guys kind of poo-poo'd the idea, but I still think there's merit to the 3d printed grip mold. Something like this has been on the backburner for a while:

Try not to be too beholden to other people's crap if you can just make your own...
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.