Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Source / Bike Grip ?

Looks cheap, like it doesn't belong.

Then again, i was never a fan of bike grips anyway

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I don't hate it>>
    Kill it with fire It's not my cup of tea, but I can see how it could be comfortable. I prefer the old rt foregrip that had more finger grooves.

I never liked the original bike grip, first thing I did was pull mine and toss my gear bag, been there for more than 10 years. I like this one a smig more than the original but it will never end up on a marker of mine. Just updating a previous post.

I don't hate it>>
    I do. Lame.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    I do. Lame.
    Don't hold back.

Tell us how you really feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    I do. Lame.
    LOL, exactly how I feel about the original foregrip design in general.

For a non originalor at least a general, non-specific grip you need to find something that works with in the design that is complimentary. The original RT i liked as you could flip it to be finger in or out.

Realistically, you can not find on design that would liked by all. At most, finding something that works, that is inexpensive and can be easily sourced is hard enough. Having options is ok, till you find the one person that doesn't realize that A, B, & C are the only things. Its fair better to narrow down the options in simple ways, like: hard(like the AGD single hole grips), soft or somewhere in between; then go from that.

BEST FOREGRIP EVER!

Never cared for those personally

Only have to dig them out of Uruguay or whatever-guay

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Never cared for those personally

Only because you couldn't get them cheap

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Only because you couldn't get them cheap
    Not at all, I dont care for it if its free.

I like the frame, but I never cared for any of his stuff to be honest.

And I would keep that to myself if he was still making stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rkjunior303 View Post
    Every other marker in existence uses a metal regulator as it's "foregrip." I would design something aluminum that would screw into the existing vertical adapter. Make it compatible with the Exalt grips (or include one) and call it a day.
    Yes and yes! I had been drawing up a front grip that would utilize Exalt's Luxe grip - super comfy! Unfortunately my Solidworks licence expired and with it alot of my lofty Mag dreams. Still, a grip that used the Luxe or Shocker RSX rubber would be great (along with some matching Exalt 45 grips?)
    You would expect Exalt to be eager to collaborate as it would mean more sales of a grip that is otherwise proprietary to one gun...

I think you guys kind of poo-poo'd the idea, but I still think there's merit to the 3d printed grip mold. Something like this has been on the backburner for a while:

Try not to be too beholden to other people's crap if you can just make your own...
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

I don't hate it>>
    I would suggest three bumps, if not three grooves. Two little bumps just does not look right on anything.

So I did check with the company in Ohio. No go. They are not interested in making anything in our quantity range. They suggest we buy what they make and cut it, but offer no advice on how to do that well. I also checked with one of the other top rubber grip companies and they straight up blew me off. Showed no interest at all other than buy what they have off their shelf.

So the whole 3D printed mold thing with the proto putty stuff is pretty cool. Not cost effective at all, but maybe a cool way to make a custom grip.

Cheap injection molding with a 3d printed mold. Sounds good too. I just have no clue where to start.

How much inventory are you sitting on?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    So I did check with the company in Ohio. No go. They are not interested in making anything in our quantity range. They suggest we buy what they make and cut it, but offer no advice on how to do that well. I also checked with one of the other top rubber grip companies and they straight up blew me off. Showed no interest at all other than buy what they have off their shelf.

So the whole 3D printed mold thing with the proto putty stuff is pretty cool. Not cost effective at all, but maybe a cool way to make a custom grip.

Cheap injection molding with a 3d printed mold. Sounds good too. I just have no clue where to start.
    Do you have a sketch/ picture/ model file of the outside grip pattern that you had in mind? This would be a good place to start and look at how moldable the design would be and move on from there.

In my limited experience, my understanding is that most companies that do any mold producing/rubber parts, literally want thousands upon tens of thousands of product, in order for it to be "worth there time" to get a piece that is bsically cost effective. That being said, to get a grip of say 2000 units, it could cost .50 dollars per piece, but a 10,000 unit order could be priced at .10/unit. So to get something that was like before or a newer grip is not cost effective, nor having a huge stock that AGD would take years upon years to get rid of.

So there are 2 options. 1) reuse a source of preexisting grip, i.e. the cut and fit grip. 2) use a grip that someone else has made, say the PE front rubber on the latest Geo and design a foregrip (with permission to use and source the rubber) a grip that uses that design. You can then order as needed, not have an investment in the molds, products, and storage.

And here is the rub. You can not please all the people all the time. Someone has to make a decision on what and where to go and stick with it. Majority rules and sometimes having just an option is better than not having any choice at all.

What are the dimensions of the soft part of the grip?

I'm assuming it's 7/8" ID.

What's the OD and length?

Soooo I'm an AGD/automag noob, so pardon me for asking. I'm assuming from reading that the goal here is some sort of foam/rubber padding to go over the gas through/foregrip, right? Is this endeavor a "classic" or nostalgia thing? I can only speak for myself, but I'm also looking for the ideal foregrip. Right now my current set up is the stock Mini vertical adapter with a Kermode Concepts ASA extender. Adds about an inch and a quarter to the vertical adapter. Looks good kinda old school, but not CNC'd like everything nowadays, which I actually like for the Mag. Keep it simple. ...I have a vinyl plotter at work, and I was going to simply cut some simple finger grooves/patches out of Talon grip material. I for one don't like TOO much grip. If I had access to the proper tools, I'd make one long vertical adapter, about twice the length of stock (or whatever length). I'd machine rectangular shapes into it similar the Magpul Pmags, and then put Talon grip material into the recessed areas. Hexmag does the same basic thing....and I know how you guys love your hexagons! LOL..... .....but seriously, with the tools and know how at my disposal, that's what I'd make.

Quote Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
    Soooo I'm an AGD/automag noob, so pardon me for asking. I'm assuming from reading that the goal here is some sort of foam/rubber padding to go over the gas through/foregrip, right? Is this endeavor a "classic" or nostalgia thing? I can only speak for myself, but I'm also looking for the ideal foregrip. Right now my current set up is the stock Mini vertical adapter with a Kermode Concepts ASA extender. Adds about an inch and a quarter to the vertical adapter. Looks good kinda old school, but not CNC'd like everything nowadays, which I actually like for the Mag. Keep it simple. ...I have a vinyl plotter at work, and I was going to simply cut some simple finger grooves/patches out of Talon grip material. I for one don't like TOO much grip. If I had access to the proper tools, I'd make one long vertical adapter, about twice the length of stock (or whatever length). I'd machine rectangular shapes into it similar the Magpul Pmags, and then put Talon grip material into the recessed areas. Hexmag does the same basic thing....and I know how you guys love your hexagons! LOL..... .....but seriously, with the tools and know how at my disposal, that's what I'd make.
    That sounds good. I like the idea of using existing AGD foregrips and sleeving them with "stuff". A young monkey showed up on MCB that was blowing/blending glass. I was trying to get a grip cover out of him, but I think his class is finished now. Oh, well, maybe somewhere else.

With a couple of little end pieces, you could make a little "carbon kit" of CF tubing and ends that convert the old AGD grip to CF of the right diameter. Might need a little set screw the bottom piece, if there's nothing more creative to hold it in place. I kind of like that idea.
    Last edited by Spider-TW; 10-28-2016 at 10:38 AM.

So my first try kinda worked; that Oogoo stuff is a little harder to make than it appears. I overshot the handling time.

I went for a 1.25" OD grip 7/8" ID and 3" length. Still not sure if those are the correct specs, but this was all experimental anyways.

Aside from mixing the Oogoo the hardest part was rolling the pin across the pattern -- I slipped a lot, hence the backside is all mangled. It's usable, but somewhat malformed.

If I were going to make a real attempt at this, I'd make the roller/landing a rack-and-pinion and then the two would be in lock step as I rolled it across each iteration. And maybe a few other tweaks.

So that is what, corn starch and silicone ?

How expensive is it to make amd how well would it hold up ?

You could make swirly colored grips, but that might start trouble.

Silicone ($5 for a large tube), corn starch (cheap). I also used food coloring, but I wouldn't recommend that as it is an active part of the mixture. Especially when it contains glycerine. Better to dye the grip afterwards. And nitrile gloves. Left hand still smells like vinegar...

It seems very durable after it's set - much like a heavy rubber.

And yes, I imagined people getting really fruity with the coloring scheme. That was kind of the point. This isn't suitable for mass production per se, but grip preferences are so subjective that they might as well be custom jobs. (And you're paddling up Smith creek if a traditional (American) manufacturer doesn't want your work anyways.)

It'd be nice to have an off-the-shelf rack+pinion to keep the rotation synchronized.

But maybe the next easiest thing would be a GT2 belt. 3d print the toothed roller ends and glue the belt to the table.

Anyways, just something to think about. I don't even own one of these grips in the first place.

I didn't study it very close but you may find something here, or contact MMC for further leads, they're pretty good about answering their phone.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#hand-grips/=14w932v

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    Left hand still smells like vinegar...

I didn't study it very close but you may find something here, or contact MMC for further leads, they're pretty good about answering their phone.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#hand-grips/=14w932v
    #'s 3 & 8 look like they'd be perfect. really sad that #5 only comes in 1.25" ID. And you can get #8 in black, red, or white.

good find, Luke.

the question is what is everyone willing to pay for the replacement grip? $10, $15, or $20. i've got a friend that works in a place that does cast urethane products that says they should be able to do it no problem. they make their own molds and he says he does not think it would be that expensive but someone will have to get with them an get costing. i can get you their contact info if anyone wants it.