Thread: Pneumag Anti Short Stroking Idea

Pneumag Anti Short Stroking Idea

I though I'd revisit the Pneumag idea after a 6 or 7 year break from it and try and have a go at coming up with an anti short stroking mod. I don't know if anyone still uses the Pneumag or even if anyone cares anymore but I thought I'd give it a go and post up my idea and results. So I have in fact come up with an idea for it and it's so simple I'm suprised no one has thought of it before!

Anyway, as of now it's only half done as I had to re-convert my stock retro valved Mag back to a Pneumag which took up a couple of hours of cleaning parts and reasembling and gassing airing it up to make sure it works pre-short stroking mod. As of now I'm almost out of air so I can't complete the 3rd part of the mod until my dive bottle is tested, hopefully I can get it tested in a week or 2.

So the mod is this.

1. A pair of opposing magnets on the MSV-2. (No suprise there!)

2. A second pair of opposing magnets fitted to the rear of the trigger shoe just under the trigger stop, and to the front part of the frame where the trigger stop hits, again just under the trigger stop. The trigger is then pushed forwards far more efficiently. What happens then is the MSV-2 is doing less work to push the trigger forwards. This will be critical to it's success assuming the 3rd part of the mod works as they have to work in unison!

3. Where the rod makes contact with the rear of the trigger, the rod is pushed upwards by a small amount, of course when you keep the trigger depressd the MSV-2 still lets air through as the rod is still being pushed back. What I propose is to drill a small indent or hole at the point where the rod is at it's highest point when it's being pushed by the trigger. The rod thenv drops into the indent or hole and the MSV-2 stops letting air through. The Mag valve then completes one cycle and won't cycle again until the trigger is released and the rod drops back down to it's rest position ready to be activated once again.

The reason(s) it won't or might not work.

1. There is a little bit of play before the MSV-2's lever activates the valve, that bit of play has to be dialled out. Maybe with another set screw drilled through the front of the frame. I don't think it will work properly until that has been done as there will be too much movement from the lever for it to be able to reset. I think it might get stuck in the indent/hole, so walking the trigger might be difficult without the play being dialled out. There also has to be a small gap between the rod and trigger to allow the rod to drop down correctly.

2. The rod gets stuck in the indent/hole and won't release correctly.

If anyone can offer up any opinions or advice it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by longi; 10-03-2016 at 04:55 AM.

I hate to be the one to say it, but if you are short stroking a pneu mag, your set up is faulty. The trigger pull should be so short you can't short stroke it.

Hi, maybe I missed something when I set it up the first time around but I managed to get the trigger pull to approximately 2mm and I could rip out large strings of paint to boot! It's pretty easy to short stroke it, as the air is not cut off once the trigger is pulled like an electro is. You can tell it's short stroking as you get paint breaks at the last 2 inches of the barrel not in the breach. At least that's what I put it down to. I also had the same problem with Zap's Cheater build. There is also a large number of YouTube videos showing the same thing. If I remember correctly there was a fair amount of people that had the same problem.

It's the actuator still hasn't finished venting the air (QEV or not) then it's highly likely that's what's happening. That said, The build I did had about 2 inches of hose between the actuator and the qev so there was probably a lot more air still to vent. I've mnaged to fit a tiny Cocker QEV onto the back of the actuator. Sadly though I can't test it until my dive bottle is tested. Then again I'm playing again next Sunday so maybe I'll try it then.

You may well be right about it not being setup correctly, it can't be ruled out even with the amount of testing I did the first time around.
    Last edited by longi; 10-03-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Pardon my ignorance but what's pre-travel defined as? I'm not sure I understand what that is.

Pre-travel is the swing or movement of the trigger before it makes contact with the sear.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Pre-travel is the swing or movement of the trigger before it makes contact with the sear.
    Ahh I see, makes sense really. I should have realised that's all it was! Lol!