Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: If AGD Wanted To Go Electronic ?

I don't have anything useful to add, but I figured I'd voice my interest in a modern electronic implementation in a mag.

I've never been a woodsball guy; I love the speed and intensity of hyper/speedball and tournament style play. While a pneumatic trigger operation works, it certainly isn't capable of being tournament legal, at least in the current environment.

"Go shoot your Eclipse/Dye if you want speedball!" --- Yeah... but mags.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    Is it possible that Cougar and Xmagterror struggle to get to 25 units because they design things that only 25 people would want?

It's very tough to tell. The market is very tough to read these days. AO is dead. Sandman's goal I believe is to let the world know AGD is still in business and then to grow the market so that maybe we can get larger runs and more variety of products. I know certain people wont touch the mag market because it's too risky.

Is it possible that Cougar and Xmagterror struggle to get to 25 units because they design things that only 25 people would want?
    I think it has more to do with producing niche products for an already small niche market. They both along with Luke produce great products but I believe the price is the biggest issue for most people that are already in this niche section of the market. I fully understand why they are priced where they are and I own/owned several of their products but I always have to rationalize paying the custom work price for something and I'm guessing others are the same.
    The user formally known as Lancecst.

Quote Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
    I think it has more to do with producing niche products for an already small niche market. They both along with Luke produce great products but I believe the price is the biggest issue for most people that are already in this niche section of the market. I fully understand why they are priced where they are and I own/owned several of their products but I always have to rationalize paying the custom work price for something and I'm guessing others are the same.
    Ding ding ding!!!!! We have a winner. I love Luke's new body. And understand the price. But I couldn't justify the price for my wants and needs. Custom bodies go for 200-400 each un anodized. Factor in 100 or up for anno and you are in for 300 on the low side for a custom body. 600 on the high side. Bang for the buck with my needs I couldn't justify it. And I'd venture to bet that's the issue with a lot of people. I was originally going to part a different marker to purchase one. But I ended up parting it for a geo3 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    I know certain people wont touch the mag market because it's too risky.
    Thats why he is sitting on a bunch of cocker frames that arent selling up to expectations.

I get it, why he has to sell 100 of something, but its not a realistic number to hit quickly making aftermarket products.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Ding ding ding!!!!! We have a winner. I love Luke's new body. And understand the price. But I couldn't justify the price for my wants and needs. Custom bodies go for 200-400 each un anodized. Factor in 100 or up for anno and you are in for 300 on the low side for a custom body. 600 on the high side. Bang for the buck with my needs I couldn't justify it. And I'd venture to bet that's the issue with a lot of people. I was originally going to part a different marker to purchase one. But I ended up parting it for a geo3 instead.
    If I'm not mistaken an anodized karta body and rail recently sold on ebay for 650.

So I dont necessarily think you are right on price being an issue.

Although selling anodized products is much easier than raw products.

Its true that a small number want raw for custom anodizing but the large majority dont want to deal with getting parts anodized.

I think a maybe a large part of aftermarket mag parts not selling in larger numbers is lack of anodizing.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Thats why he is sitting on a bunch of cocker frames that arent selling up to expectations.

I get it, why he has to sell 100 of something, but its not a realistic number to hit quickly making aftermarket products.

If I'm not mistaken an anodized karta body and rail recently sold on ebay for 650.

So I dont necessarily think you are right on price being an issue.

Although selling anodized products is much easier than raw products.

Its true that a small number want raw for custom anodizing but the large majority dont want to deal with getting parts anodized.

I think a maybe a large part of aftermarket mag parts not selling in larger numbers is lack of anodizing.

I'm not saying the lack of anno but the overall cost. If the machinists get them anodized then the price will be factored in. Customer will still be paying added cost. Just probably less than my min of 100 extra. I'm sure a single body here and there sell for high price. But that's not volume for someone to do business. Premium price mechanical markers are a nitch market plane and simple.

cost to me has always been part of AGD's problem. they have never had or been an entry level marker which is fine but to come out with a new marker now days i think it would need to come in around $400.00 in order to garner any level of sales which would require either having them made at a very low cost or relying on less profit and trying to sell more volume.

my $0.02

Not for me to say but I feel like AGD investing in an electro Mag is ice skating up a hill. The platform is less than optimal for it. Sounds like a lot of expensive compromises to force a Mag to be something it's not. Better, IMO, to market it as what it is, the fastest firing purely mechanical marker. Better to push what you are the best at then produce a really expensive crossover that under performs.

AGD's tagline should be "The most dominating mechanical marker since 1990, and still going."
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Man, having to anodize a part is a pain in the butt. Not only is it costly, but those willing and able to do the work are few and far between. You spend a bunch on the part, send it out, spend more, wait 5 months (just long enough to lose some interest and start looking into other projects haha), and finally get the part back. That was a huge friggin' ordeal I will never put myself into again.

A mag is not an ideal electro platform, to me it's a tinkerers dream, which is not a marketable trait. Don't get me wrong, I swear by my mags and have spent literally 100+ hours on EP modifications. The time and expense was worth it because that's what I enjoy doing.

If AGD did jump back on the electro train, I'd lean more toward a set of EP lowers with a simple mechanism that anyone can work on. I think Luke is on the right track with what he's doing, but selling that to the masses would need AGD to sell it as an add-on, for a reasonable price (which i know is the difficult part). Hey Luke, keep up the good work. Sandman, talk to Luke

Your challenge is to break this cycle:

Why is stuff expensive? Because there's no market for it.
    why is there no market for it? Because it's expensive.
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

Your challenge is to break this cycle:

Why is stuff expensive? Because there's no market for it.
    why is there no market for it? Because it's expensive.
    Price, quality, and speed. How to make an Automag slowly?

When someone wants a sports car, they buy a ferrari, not a kit car. You'd have to R&D a whole new platform. Sexy wins, unfortunately.

PBN Feedback AO Feedback eBay Feedback

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS (Rob Kenny and Matt Bradley) LIVE @ www.djinnuendo.com TUES 2/8 - 8 to 10PM

Quote Originally Posted by rkjunior303 View Post
    When someone wants a sports car, they buy a ferrari, not a kit car. You'd have to R&D a whole new platform. Sexy wins, unfortunately.

In this case, think of it as the old 67 Mustang that you are swapping the V6 for a V8.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    In this case, think of it as the old 67 Mustang that you are swapping the V6 for a V8.
    Umm it would be a straight six but either way... ya.

Quote Originally Posted by rkjunior303 View Post
    When someone wants a sports car, they buy a ferrari, not a kit car.
    Apparently everyone's a multimillionaire and can afford Ferrari's when choosing a sports car. I have to pick from a lessor selection.

I'd actually rather like a super 7 replica...

Oh, and if you argue that its not a sports car, you won't get me to agree... Unless possibly you argued that its not a sports car by virtue of being a race car...

Quote Originally Posted by oldironmudder View Post
    Umm it would be a straight six but either way... ya.
    Or putting a six-pack and turbo on a 300 inline. It's a different kind of sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW View Post
    Or putting a six-pack and turbo on a 300 inline. It's a different kind of sexy.
    mmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Apparently everyone's a multimillionaire and can afford Ferrari's when choosing a sports car. I have to pick from a lessor selection.
    Lotus Elise would be my choice. And they can be had for a decent price.... alas I still don't own one.

If I had a choice to drop ANY sum of money on a car or a list of 100 cars, my very first choice would be along these lines. Any modern high end sports car would land at the very bottom if they made the list at all.

My first car was a 65 Coupe and I've own several over the years, but a 68 or 69 fastback is still on my bucket list. I've owned a 71 and 72 FB but they were never my favorite looking cars, very interesting cars to drive though.

Hey Luke why did you crop me out of the picture of my car? LOL!

I liked some of the Shelbys but other than that I never cared for Mustangs at all.....

And then there's the Mexican standoff on the pnue patents between DW and PTP, I seriously doubt AGD will want to go that route.
    Patents have a shelf life.

Certain the PTP one is all dried up.

Quote Originally Posted by p8ntbal4me View Post
    Patents have a shelf life.

Certain the PTP one is all dried up.
    Hey guys look who's here !

')

Hey guys look who's here !

')
    Nothing to see here folks,.....

Move along

Quote Originally Posted by p8ntbal4me View Post
    Nothing to see here folks,.....

Move along

Roads arent paved with good intentions .

Roads arent paved with good intentions .
    Not so sure, I was told as a kid that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Not so sure, I was told as a kid that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" (lol)
    Inside joke, last I talked to him a couple Tunaballs ago p8ntbal4me ran a paving crew.

MOTY3
    Well since this thread has gone off the rails a bit has everyone seen this car...this one kind of fell through the cracks but it is worth a gander .

https://youtu.be/GSv5S6Xpff0