Thread: Predictably Boring

Question Predictably Boring

Apple Iphone, Samsungs latest greatest.

I went from the Note 5 to the S7 Edge.

Seems like I went to a lesser phone even though its newer.

Is it just me or are they all just becoming predictably boring ?

I'd really like to get the Pixel XL but not offering wireless charging or image stabilization has me hesitating.

Ok picked up a Pixel XL on cl new in box for quite a bit less than retail.

Its my second choice.

Promised my 83 year old mother my Note 5 or I'd still be using it.

But I can still recommend the Pixel XL.

Its pretty neato and it was time for a phone change anyways....

I still use the MotoX that replaced my flip phone.

This Android assistant "ok Google" is fun to try and stump.

I'm going out on a limb here and say if you arent married to IOS already you will really like the Pixel XL.

I bought a Blackberry Priv last year, and I haven't looked back... the specs beat the crap out of this years "new" iPhone and Galaxy, with a lot of the "new" features they come with. I was feeling the same thing you were - same crap over and over again from the major manufacturers, without any of the fixes or features that people want/need, for $600-$800? No thanks.

$500 got me the only quality Android phone with a physical QWERTY keyboard, Snapdragon hexacore processor, 3gb of ram, 2560x1440 curved edge screen, 32gb of memory expandable to 2tb, 3500mah battery that lasts for days, with wireless charging. The camera is 18mp with Schneider-Kreuznach lenses - takes topnotch 4k video. I believe you can get the version without the keyboard for even less, with most of the same specs/features.

Seemed like a no-brainer since at the time nobody was offering better specs (despite costing $100s more).

I'm glad to hear good things about the Pixel - that and the Moto Z seem to be the only other truly innovative phones out there. Make sure to give us another update down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    I bought a Blackberry Priv last year, and I haven't looked back... the specs beat the crap out of this years "new" iPhone and Galaxy, with a lot of the "new" features they come with. I was feeling the same thing you were - same crap over and over again from the major manufacturers, without any of the fixes or features that people want/need, for $600-$800? No thanks.

$500 got me the only quality Android phone with a physical QWERTY keyboard, Snapdragon hexacore processor, 3gb of ram, 2560x1440 curved edge screen, 32gb of memory expandable to 2tb, 3500mah battery that lasts for days, with wireless charging. The camera is 18mp with Schneider-Kreuznach lenses - takes topnotch 4k video. I believe you can get the version without the keyboard for even less, with most of the same specs/features.

Seemed like a no-brainer since at the time nobody was offering better specs (despite costing $100s more).

I'm glad to hear good things about the Pixel - that and the Moto Z seem to be the only other truly innovative phones out there. Make sure to give us another update down the road.
    I am typing this right now on a moto z force. very fast performance and it really got rid of the typical Android issues. I don't know as many specs as you guys, but this phone has been the only one I have liked in years.

Still have the Google Pixel XL.

Ready for something else but this is still the best phone right now....

I just upgraded to a galaxy s7 from an s5. I don't want to have to replace a phone in the near future. It takes too much time getting everything back to the way you want it. I do agree, they are predictably boring.

Why just why flip phones so much? I'm using my droid turbo that is 2 years old. Still works fine. It replaced a droid RAZR HD that had just worn out. I can call, text, send email, surf the web, and play coc. Don't see any reason to change. However I am about to get a new iPhone complements of work. But couldn't really care less about that.

It's a problem I have, I think for some reason I have to have the latest greatest.....

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    It's a problem I have, I think for some reason I have to have the latest greatest.....
    I will have to add that the earlier droids had apparent glitches and hiccups. My thunderbolt was horrid. My razr was worlds better. And now my turbo is quite smooth. Don't remember ever doing a force reboot on this phone. The razr I didn't have to often but from time to time yes. And then the original 4g Android the thunderbolt.... Only thing that phone did right was grandfather in my 4g unlimited data with Verizon. Idk. Really i just feel like the last few years have slowed down emensly with advances in phone technology.

This Google phone is very advanced.

I probably dont even use it to even 1/20th of its potential.

I dont use the cloud thats free with this phone, I dont use whatever Google calls their version of fakebook.

Social media is in my humble opinion, stealing our privacy......

If you don't want to have to replace your phone soon, don't buy apple or samsung. They both are terrible about planned obsolescence and using software updates to cripple performance on older devices.

I personally have had good luck with the xperia Z line from Sony. They are easy to root and have good hardware specs.

My biggest beef with most newer designs is the sealed internal battery. I like being able to yank my battery on camping trips and etc... to be able to save it for when I need it.

Also given that the average lifespan of a lithium battery is 800 cycles, with daily charging your battery should only last 2-3 years.

Apple will last 2-3 years and at that point won't still be too bad on performance. Usually at that point I pass it to my little sister who uses it for another 2-3 years.

Friend of mine already pre-ordered the Galaxy S8.

I tried the S7 Edge before I got the Pixel XL.

Samsung lost me as long as their top end phones have curved screens.

Those screens are terribly unresponsive at the curves, and no way to adjust the sensitivity.

I'm waiting on the Pixel 2.

Broke down and bought an S8+ , found one on Craigslist for a great price.

Giving it a go.

October when the Pixel 2 is supposed to be released is a long way off, and then another month or two later when they start to get more reasonably priced on c/l.....

So far it's not bad, bigger screen.

Edit: not sure why Samsung chose to copy Google Assistant and call it Bixby.

Just remapped the Bixby button to the flashlight, thats kind of cool.
    Last edited by going_home; 06-04-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Essential PH-1.

https://www.essential.com

Yep, best high end on the market for the price, half the price of Pixel2 XL, Iphone X, Note 8.

The 360 degree camera is pretty crazy too.

Still have the Essential phone.

Takes good pics.

They arent updating the OS fast enough for me.

Still on 7.1.1 .

I'd get a Pixel 2 XL but they are still more than I'm willing to pay on craigslist....

I can't stand to have something that I have to pay for memory upgrades. I find myself choosing based more on if it has a micro sd card slot or not. Then going from there.

I'm pretty happy with the Note 8. Only thing I'd like to have back from my Note 4 is the battery access back.

Quote Originally Posted by mobsterboy View Post
    I can't stand to have something that I have to pay for memory upgrades. I find myself choosing based more on if it has a micro sd card slot or not. Then going from there.

I'm pretty happy with the Note 8. Only thing I'd like to have back from my Note 4 is the battery access back.
    What phone have you had to do that with ?

As long as its got 32gb thats sufficient for me.

The Essential phone is 128gb.

No SD slot needed.

Apple is notorious for making you pay crazy amounts for the higher storage version. Its a crock of ****. just a damn cash grab.

I walk around with around 400gb of storage in the event that I need to save something, have to fly somewhere, get stuck in some random podunk town's hotel for a week, have to drive 8 hrs out of my way for work or something. I'd rather be prepared and have music, movies, tv shows available even without wifi access.

Apparently Essential is skipping the Android 8.0 Nougat OS upgrade because of instability in the phone with it.

Have to wait on 8.1 now.