Thread: Lasik

Lasik

Anyone had Lasik done ?

I had it beginning of April, everything was blurry.

Playing paintball while blind at last Tunaball.

Was wishing I had my spectacles back again, at least I could see clearly.

So after 6 months they tweaked the right eye again thursday, nailed it this time.

Said I had inflammation in that eye that messed up the prescription.

So everything is looking better now finally.

I wished I had gotten monovision (reading one eye, distance the other) but it is what it is.

And I've lost that sharp crispness of a finely focused picture, no longer any sharpness to what I see.

But now I can have cool looking sunglasses , always had to have prescription ones before.

I was speaking to Simon about this topic.. he said it was the best think he ever had done... but to make sure you use a top-notch doctor to do it.

I will stick to my contacts.

I had lasic done in early april of 2016. Sounds like we had it done at the same time. My prescription used to be roughly -8 in the right and -8.5 in the left plus astigmatism in both. Now I have 20/20 vision.

They almost nailed my prescription dead on with the first try so I didnt need to uave a touch up. I find that my eyes get a little dry more easily than they used to, and that dryness definitely has an affect on my vision.

Im trying to not stare at a screen all day to help preserve my vision, but its hard - especially since my work is basically sitting in front of a computer for most of the day.

I got lasic for paintball. Seriously. I was tired of contacts getting dry (and they were super expensive because of my prescription) and just generally didnt want to have to worry about it anymore. The sunglasses thing you mentioned was also nice.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

My wife had it done years ago and also says its the best thing she ever did for her eyes too.

I had it done about 4 years ago, best decision ever.

For me it worked immediately, I slept for about an hour when I got home after the procedure and when I woke up I could see perfectly. I probably used eye drops for dry eyes for about 6 months to a year, now it is so rare that I end up buying a new bottle when it happens.

The only side effect that I don't like is that I get a halo around lights at night. It isn't bad normally, the only issue is during rain storms driving. Occasionally all the rain drops will get a halo depending on the street lights and it is distracting.
    The user formally known as Lancecst.

I also noticed more glare at night and in bright sunlight than before.

After a couple more days I noticed I can read the computer and my phone without the Walmart readers.

Blurry but readable.

Distance only wasnt supposed to be able to read so its a very nice plus.

Thought about it. Scares the hell out of me. Sticking with contacts.lol

Everyone asks me why I haven't got it done. -7.5 in both eyes. I respond that I will stick with contacts till I'm forced. I don't want to be that percentage that comes out of it without vision in an eye. Vision with contact help is better than the risk of no vision at all to me.

I couldn't with my fat sausage fingers put contacts in or get them out.

And I couldn't stand touching my eye so after 48 years of glasses I did it.

I'm finally happy with it now after the right eye touch up.

Now my problem is sunglasses, 2 pair Oakley, a RayBan and a Mai Jim.

And now some white Costas on the way.

This needs to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    I couldn't with my fat sausage fingers put contacts in or get them out.

And I couldn't stand touching my eye so after 48 years of glasses I did it.

I'm finally happy with it now after the right eye touch up.

Now my problem is sunglasses, 2 pair Oakley, a RayBan and a Mai Jim.

And now some white Costas on the way.

This needs to stop!

I bought a new pair of Oakley's every year for roughly 8 years. I know that bug all to well. Haha. Currently about to buy my first pair again since buying the xmen edition Juliet's back in 2002.

So you guys that are saying that contacts are safer than lasik, is very much incorrect. The long term risks associated with the disease and damage from daily wearing of contacts is higher than lasik.

"the Casey Eye Institute, showed that the lifetime risk of serious vision loss was 3 ½ times greater for contact lens wearers than patients who had received Lasik".

You can do some web research for yourself and pretty much everyone says the same thing.

I did Lasik 15 years ago. I certainly recommend it for anyone living an active lifestyle, like those that play paintball.

If you don't mind wearing glasses and where contacts occasionally then it really isn't that important to you. If you are active and young, it's a no brainer, Lasik rocks.

Lasik is great if your vison has stabilized, not so if it is still changing.

If you know how to take care of lenses then there is no issue of possible damage from the lenses, unless you, yourself do not maintain proper cleanliness and upkeep. Yet removal of a physical object from the eyeball does limit any possible damage it could induce, regardless of upkeep.

I used to leave lenses in my eyes for months on end. It stemmed from laziness, improper training from my initial eye care facility and lack of understanding on my part. Now, i pop them in and pop them out with barely a thought.

Yes, it is far easier to not deal with any lense at all. You remove that factor and there are no problems what's so ever. The key to any surgury is the skill of the doctor doing it. As said, there have been people that are 1 & done, and there are people who have had to have multiple trips back. I don't know if that was because of the prescription changing or a mistake from the surgury, but Lasik does work for those that can use it. Jusf not everyone can...

The surgeon I used has done over 60k of these procedures.

Inflammation in one eye causing the prescription to change isnt something I'd blame on the doctor.

And contact lenses do damage to your corneas, this is a fact.

terrified of it, especially now. I lost hearing in one of my ears randomly two years ago. the thought of losing any more of my senses is not something I want to risk, even if it's less than a 1% risk.

I've been having an internal debate about this for years now and I just can't pull the trigger on it. However, my contacts are no longer available so I had to switch to a new brand that ended up being somewhat uncomfortable and now I'm back to considering lasik.

What is considered to be the best lasik method these days?

Honestly, I doubt anyone her is qualified to answer that for you.
    My Lasik eye doctor happens to be my neighbor. There are many reason for and against doing the procedure and what way to do the procedure.
    Those recommendations have to come after a proper and complete diagnosis of your vision and eye health.

Some people can't have the procedure done at all. Some require PRK versus traditional Lasik.
    Go see (pun intended) a qualified professional that has a good history. Lasik data, statistics and results are well documented.

If you are ok with glasses then, nevermind. No risk at all from that.

Tim is right, the doctor and surgeon will look at your situation and recommend the procedure that best fits your condition.

Lasik was nothing to be afraid of, it was about 10 minutes for both eyes.

I can say that high price doesnt equal better.

I was quoted 4500 and that included valet to and from home twice and all prescription drops.

I had friends that paid almost twice that.

I ultimately went with Lasik Vision Institute, which along with its sister company TLC Eye is the largest.

They recently replaced almost 200 machines nationwide to the latest machine available.

The surgeon at the Tampa location has done more than 60,000 procedures.

He talked all the way thru the procedure telling exactly what was going on.

And they actually have a groupon for 899 an eye that I used.

I would recommend them.

You have to buy your own prescription drops and the artificial over the counter tears.

But the savings was completely worth it to me, and I am happy with the care.

The touch ups if needed are free for a year.

The local guy with the outdated machine and only one location might have a great bedside manner but he cant get to 2000 for both eyes.

The nationwide company does so many of the procedures they can do a 2000 dollar price with the latest greatest machine.

Just my two cents, for what its worth.

Good info and insight there, Alan; thank you. Looks like there is a Lasik Vision Institute about 1.25 hours from me.

Well i havent had this done. But......
    I work for a major eye compAny. One that makes one of the systems that is used. So we get a crazy discount for the service provided we use one of our lasers.
    I can say all but one or 2 have had issues. All of the others LOVE it, and cant say enough good things about it. The one lady who did have an issue had to go back several times, but its all good now.

I think i will be taking the plunge this coming year.

I cant blame Lasik Vision Institute on my right eye inflammation.

The inflammation caused the prescription to be off and a bit blurry, not their fault.

But the touchup has me to 20/20 now, before it was 20/25.

Don' ask questions. It is considered "trolling" in some locations.
    Lasik was the best money I ever spent. Did it 7 years ago, and everything went very smooth. Did it Thurs afternoon. Went home and went to bed. Friday morning I had a little bit of sensitivity to light. I played Hockey that night, and paintball the following weekend (against dr wishes).

Yeah you arent suppose to do anything strenuios for 7 days.

Don' ask questions. It is considered "trolling" in some locations.
    Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Yeah you arent suppose to do anything strenuios for 7 days.
    They also said to stay out of the pool or lake for I believe 45 days. IIRC there it was no sky diving or riding a motorcycle for 90 days. I am assuming that they did not want bacteria in your eye, or the wind on your eye.

The flap doesn't completely heal for a year.

I just had a touch up in one eye after 6 months.

He just pulled the flap aside and lasered again.