Thread: Galactic Z body automag.

Galactic Z body automag.

Hey first post here, so I stopped for lunch in amarillo tx while I was traveling, and there was a pawn shop accross the street so I descided to check it out, I saw an inviting and mysterious JT padded case under the rifles and other guns, and asked to see it. I opened it up and saw an automag valve on something I have never seen before. I always wanted an automag when I was a kid but my family wouldn't buy me one. It seemed like a unique find so I pulled the trigger and bought it.

I did some research and found it to be a galactic z body with a standard valve from a classic. It has a grip frame with no regulator in front of the trigger gaurd which has the smart parts foregrip which I just identified from the WTB posting which has a picture of it.

Anywho, from the fact that I don't see these for sale anywhere, and it was only available as a 300 dollar aftermarket body, what are these worth today? Only kicker is that the knob on the backspin adjuster is broken off leaving only a threaded shafts sticking out about 1/4 inch. The knob will need to be replaced so I will goto a machine shop this week to have them forensic ally identify the thread size so I can order a new knob from mcmaster carr (praying they will have one)

I got it with the padded case for 75 bucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ACFERRET; 11-22-2016 at 01:58 AM.

Its a novelty. Bafk when these and PTP micromags were the only bodies that were cocker threaded, they had more weight in the market, no pun intended.

The knob is minor to the operation of the body, the skid plate is where all the fun happens.

Classic valve was standard in the ReTro/Emag/Xvalves were not around for project/scratch built mags.

Though from the pic, it looks like you have an Angel double trigger on it, or at least a Tribal frame. If there are holes on the back strap, then that would confirm it.

The reg for the gun is the back half of the valve

Otherwise, put some air to it after putting a few drops of oil into the valve to see if you need to rebuild the valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Though from the pic, it looks like you have an Angel double trigger on it, or at least a Tribal frame. If there are holes on the back strap, then that would confirm it.
    Can you Identify the grip frame from this? I do see holes here I the pic behind the frame on the tray. It would be good to know what I have in case I part it out.

The holes on the rail are semi-standard, as early rails had a back bottle adapter to attach a ASA directly to the rail.

But the frame itself is very odd. Better pics of the frame(both sides, off the gun) showing any markings, with the grips off. You might have something special.

There are markings on the sear pushrod behind the trigger which read "S U L" but there are no markings on the frame. Any ideas? I'm hoping somebody here can come through here.

Looks like the frame has a removable trigger guard, like maybe it came with a single trigger option, not sure I've seen that before.

The body is cocker threaded, but with a .697 large bore barrel like a Lapco Bigshot, its supposed to be able to put a backspin on the ball, if it still has the rubber nubbin.

It can only take level 10 bolt if you file most of the lip near the tip of the bolt off.

I had one back in the day and got mixed results with it.

Mostly a novelty, especially now that the Apex barrel is widely in use.

Body probably worth 150-165 if the rubber nubbin is still intact.

It does have a pressed in steel ring if you are thinking of re-anodizing it, not sure how you'd remove that.

I use to have one, deft a wicked cool body. If you have the nubbin intact AND a Z type barrel to go with it then i'd go with going_home's value of 150ish.

lapco big shot was the barrel if I remember correctly as you need the over size bore for the back spin to work correctly.

These were the stock barrels.......

Name:  zmag.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  43.8 KB

Walker
    O.F.P.P.A. - OLD FARTS PAINTBALL PLAYERS ASSOCIATION
    When you wrap-up the day with beer and Bengay.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    lapco big shot was the barrel if I remember correctly as you need the over size bore for the back spin to work correctly.
    Your absolutely right and it does say "Z-Barrel" on it as well so you can identify this barrel more easily.