Thread: Electro-Mag options analysis.

Electro-Mag options analysis.

Part 1

I have been meaning to put something like this together since all the of 'new' emag talk has been thrown about. This is all of the top of my head from years of personal experience and I am not open to debating any of it lol. I will try to answer any questions you might have.

AGD Emag (emag lowers; Emag-Xmag)
    Pros:
    Reliable - probably the most reliable electronic method of firing an Automag
    High rate of fire (18-22 bps)
    Hall Effect Trigger - very light and customizable trigger.

Cons:
    Expensive to manufacture
    Large proprietary battery and charger required
    Heavier that most other options

9-volt Hyperframe style w/clapper solenoid (Centerflag Hyperframe-Devil Mag-Magnus E90-LukeCustomes Elc90 TBD)
    Pros
    Uses 9v batteries
    High rate of fire (up to 20 bps)
    Light weight (most configurations)

Cons
    Can be difficult to set up an maintain depending on the configuration. Requires a level of technical sophistication to get the most out of.
    Battery hog - gets poor battery life. High quality batteries are a MUST
    High end models are expensive and hard to come by due to limited production

Electro-Pnuematic
    Pros
    Fast
    5v - 6v solenoid means better battery life
    Can trip most Automag on/off types with ease.

Cons
    Few production models and types were made. Most examples are home brew DIY set ups which can vary vastly depending on the skills of the builder
    Require a low pressure regulator to power the pneumatics
    Extremely poor on gas efficiency. The additional air used causes a big drop in the number of shots per tank.
    Can be difficult to set up and maintain

To be continued

Reserved for part 3

Reserved for part 2

Oh! This will be interesting.

I know I will get backlash for saying this but I have never had a reliable way of firing a mag electronically. My emags always needed to be adjusted to work right slot. I remember many games that I switched to mech mode to finish the day. I always had many problems with the solenoids and the hall sensors. I know that people swear by them, but as of late, the two most reliable guns I have are an old angel LCD with virtue and an ego 7. Never any issues. Mags are an amazing mech gun but out of all the boo ya, hyperframes, emags I have owned or used extensively, there have always been way more issues with all of them. I know I will get attacked for saying this but whatever. People can think whatever. Everything stated was all personal experience.

I'm all mech when it comes to mags.

But really with a ULT / Xvalve tuned in you can keep up with anything out there.

To me they do seem to be more finicky when electronic.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    I'm all mech when it comes to mags.

But really with a ULT / Xvalve tuned in you can keep up with anything out there.

To me they do seem to be more finicky when electronic.

Mags are by far the best mech guns out there. They always work. Even the lvl. 10 and ult can be a pain even with knowledge of it.

If I get time this weekend I'll show you what I've been working on I haven't machined anything yet as awaitng parts
    But I'll draw up my plan so others can see

It seems like there are about to be some exciting options from more than one source after a long wait... Coincidence?

I've always been open with my projects I just don't have much machine time unfortunately

So this is what I'm trying, excuse the mess it's completely in a proto type form at the moment.
    Sear rod will be custom made I've just modded the original for testing purposes also going to use an old etek frame for testing, no point spending time redesigning my frame just in case this doesn't work
    Basically the nod goes in line where the normal sear rod would go the trigger trips the switch before it contacts the sear arm so if in electronic mode will activate the noid or just use as a mech
    Going to be a while before its ready to test but you get the idea I'm also waiting on a shorter noid as this was longer than the one I originally ordered.

You are on the right track Renie...

I will get back to this eventually

BE,

Depending on the type of valve you want to run, I may have something that will fit the bill. As you noted in the other thread, the current 'special' on/off for the classic has some inherent problems and while it can be made to work (as you well know), it can be terribly finicky in the best of times, and can be downright trouble in the worst. This is something that has only been confirmed over long term testing in all manner of conditions. For this reason I think that particular design has gone about as far as it can go in that direction, and in my estimation is not satisfactory for any serious general use.

There are a couple of other designs in works, and both of those have much greater potential for the classic.

But if the classic valve is not on the table, then there is another design that should be very interesting indeed.

If you like, I'll pull it out of mothball and we can chat in greater detail at Polar Bears v. Penguins, or whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by Menace_AO View Post
    BE,

Depending on the type of valve you want to run, I may have something that will fit the bill. As you noted in the other thread, the current 'special' on/off for the classic has some inherent problems and while it can be made to work (as you well know), it can be terribly finicky in the best of times, and can be downright trouble in the worst. This is something that has only been confirmed over long term testing in all manner of conditions. For this reason I think that particular design has gone about as far as it can go in that direction, and in my estimation is not satisfactory for any serious general use.

There are a couple of other designs in works, and both of those have much greater potential for the classic.

But if the classic valve is not on the table, then there is another design that should be very interesting indeed.

If you like, I'll pull it out of mothball and we can chat in greater detail at Polar Bears v. Penguins, or whenever.

I would say since AGD no longer produces the Classic AIR valve then it shouldn't be taken into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    I would say since AGD no longer produces the Classic AIR valve...
    A travesty that they do not.

Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    A travesty that they do not.
    At todays manufacturing cost they'd likely be priced so high they wouldnt sell.

Especially when you can buy plenty of used ones for $30 - 35-ish.

Maybe, maybe not.

However, it is a bit of a bummer that AGD doesn't technically offer a tourney legal marker.

Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    Maybe, maybe not.

However, it is a bit of a bummer that AGD doesn't technically offer a tourney legal marker.
    Since they are trying to start back up, clawing back as it were, small steps.

Also, with Xmod and even AGD code, you can still use Emags at least. Might need to have a Tourney specific on/off to prevent RT'ing. You also can go the pure mech mode, again making sure no RT effect.

Also, in the other light, an Egomag does keep in the electronics RoF, so there is that.

But small steps. Having a tournament level gun is no small matter and at times it can be a fool's errand. Again, small steps. Any new or drastically updated gun from AGD is a better start than what could be.

In the age of cheater boards and hidden code on tourny markers, how ironic is it that the only paintball company that truly strived for "one-shot, one-pull" has had their markers branded as not legal for tournaments ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigevil View Post
    in the age of cheater boards and hidden code on tourny markers, how ironic is it that the only paintball company that truly strived for "one-shot, one-pull" has had their markers branded as not legal for tournaments ?
    qft

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post

But small steps. Having a tournament level gun is no small matter and at times it can be a fool's errand. Again, small steps. Any new or drastically updated gun from AGD is a better start than what could be.
    Oh, I absolutely agree and I am thrilled at the new energy at AGD over the past six months.

I realize with economies of scale and manufacturing costs that new R & D and small runs may not be feasible. I just hate to see options that require no R & D go unavailable. For instance, I have had some communications with Sandman about making the carbon fiber frame as an available option for new sales. To me, it seems particularly appropriate for the Tac One model since many milsim guys are not fans of double triggers. He has explained to me some of the complications of such a move.

M86 or mini vert if they want single triggers.