Thread: Is the z-locking pin/channel necessary?

Question Is the z-locking pin/channel necessary?

I'd like to cut down a rail i have and remove the portion with the z-lock channel for the valve.

Is there more to the z locking channel than ease of alignment for the quick-strip thumbscrew?
    I feel like I've heard that its to prevent the back half of the valve from unscrewing as well? Anyone have experience with that?

Would it be a safety issue to remove? I feel like the valve unscrewing isn't much more of a safety risk than the tank venting out a broken macro-line, but I'm usually wrong

Thanks for input/recommendations.

-cAyle

there are some few automags that don't use one,
    but the zloc channel and zloc pin are there for safety reason.
    it prevents you from unscrewing the reg when it is pressurized when you are adjusting the velocity, and having the back of the valve come blowing off in your face.

we did and unscrew of the back of the valve in a chamber once.
    but who knows where that video is.
    it was neat to see but would be scary to see it coming at your face.

This guy made a "tiny mag" and cut off the end of the rail. He's on here as SK8ERMOG, I think. You could always PM him and ask if he ever ran into issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8AW...ature=youtu.be

it is there for safety just incase.
    I run my 3d printed automag and it has a plastic rail.
    if you cut the rail to length and remove this safety feature you as the user would be liable for any possible injury to yourself or others if the valve unscrews under pressure.