Thread: Classic RT Rail

Classic RT Rail

For $40 to $60 thats a good price too. Looks in really good shape.
    AGD is in the house!
    Custom gun builds. All the parts. New Website. Factory Service available!
    www.airgundesigns.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    For $40 to $60 thats a good price too. Looks in really good shape.
    If it is the old style rail it isn't worth a ****...
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

The classic rt rails are worth it if you have a project. i just snagged one from sandman before this was posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    If it is the old style rail it isn't worth a ****...
    1) How can you tell

2) Why not

Yeah Tuna, I'm not aware of an older or newer style change in the classic RT rails. RT's were introduced and developing while I was having my first kids so I didn't follow their changes during that time and was not aware of a significant rail style change. What classic RT rail differences are there and what do we look for to tell if it's older or newer?

I have a stash of classic RT rails and would like to be able to tell good from bad...

Thanks!
    Sandman

Yeah Tuna, I'm not aware of an older or newer style change in the classic RT rails. RT's were introduced and developing while I was having my first kids so I didn't follow their changes during that time and was not aware of a significant rail style change. What classic RT rail differences are there and what do we look for to tell if it's older or newer?

I have a stash of classic RT rails and would like to be able to tell good from bad...

Thanks!
    Sandman
    I believe there was a rail update for the Original RT. Something to do with the drilled hole for the banjo bolt. Thats all I know. Dave would know more. I do know that all of the RT rails that I have ever gotten from AGD were good ones...so I suspect the change was early on . If you got the rails from AGD Tim I suspect they are fine for sure. I have changed at least 20 or so during the years.

The difference should be on the top edge of the banjo bolt hole on the rail. There is a chamfer there on the edge, maybe excessive deburring, on the "defective" ones. If that chamfer is too large, it won't hold the middle banjo bolt o-ring in place. It will sprout leaks until the o-ring breaks from the pressure or from you taking the banjo bolt out when the o-ring is out of its groove. Mine was that way. I put a stainless sleeve in it to fix it. I still enjoy testing it out every now and then to make sure it works. It's not a fix you could sell, but leaky RTs are usually at a discount.

good to know. ill check when i get home.

I have brand new rails I can see the deburring/chamfer groove on the top of the banjo hole.
    Name:  RT_Rail_0.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  117.8 KB

Close-ups make it look rough, however, this is a new rail.

Name:  RT_Rail_1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  37.3 KBName:  RT_Rail_2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  55.2 KBName:  RT_Rail_3.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  42.0 KB

I guess I have to find an earlier bad one to really be able to know the difference.

It's good to know there was an early problem with that. Maybe keep me from pulling my hair out on a rebuild in the future.

Pinky, I honestly could not tell you on the rail I sent you. That rail looked perfect to me, however I have no idea of how early it was produced.
    I'll assume it was a later production and the banjo hole was machined and finished properly.

I have brand new rails I can see the deburring/chamfer groove on the top of the banjo hole.
    Name:  RT_Rail_0.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  117.8 KB

Close-ups make it look rough, however, this is a new rail.

Name:  RT_Rail_1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  37.3 KBName:  RT_Rail_2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  55.2 KBName:  RT_Rail_3.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  42.0 KB

I guess I have to find an earlier bad one to really be able to know the difference.

It's good to know there was an early problem with that. Maybe keep me from pulling my hair out on a rebuild in the future.

Pinky, I honestly could not tell you on the rail I sent you. That rail looked perfect to me, however I have no idea of how early it was produced.
    I'll assume it was a later production and the banjo hole was machined and finished properly.
    ya thats what i was thinking too.

These pictures show a chamfer to a counter bore on the high sides. It has been a while, but I don't remember seeing machining detail like that, just a chamfer/countersink that went up the sides.

I have a post mod pic, but nothing before-hand from that side (just the bottom, doh!)
    Last edited by Spider-TW; 01-11-2017 at 02:23 PM.