Thread: So how what needs to be done to mod a Proto UL frame to fit a minmag

So how what needs to be done to mod a Proto UL frame to fit a minmag

Just as the title says. Im looking to mode a proto UL frame for a minimag. I know I need to cut the front and drill a mounting hole. What else?
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

Sear rod needs to be shorter. You need to mod the trigger to allow sear rod movement ( don't cut the "leg" out. It acts as forward stop for the trigger ).
    Inside the frame there's structure that needs to be modded so that sear can move. Also you might want to drill and tap two holes for long set screws to help guide the sear rod.

I'll post few pics when I get home.

This will help too. It's a different version of the ultralite frame, but most of the advice will carry over.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/a...-your-mag.html

The basic idea is that you want the back mounting hole to line up with the thumb screw. Then you'll probably have to drill a hole for the body screw, and you'll have to cut off the front extension of the frame. Otherwise you won't be able to mount the normal foregrips. Then you cut out everything inside the frame that interferes with the sear or trigger rod, and shorten the trigger rod to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    Sear rod needs to be shorter. You need to mod the trigger to allow sear rod movement ( don't cut the "leg" out. It acts as forward stop for the trigger ).
    Inside the frame there's structure that needs to be modded so that sear can move. Also you might want to drill and tap two holes for long set screws to help guide the sear rod.

I'll post few pics when I get home.
    Awesome. Thanks

So how what needs to be done to mod a Proto UL frame to fit a minmag

Here are the set screws I put in to help guide the rod.

Name:  IMG_0923.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  171.1 KB

You want the rod tip to ride that hump in the trigger, if it drops below it can bind.

Name:  IMG_0925.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  86.6 KB

And in here you can see the modifications Renie had already done for the frame. Also you can see how the rod tip can bind with the trigger.

Name:  IMG_0926.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  71.6 KB
    Last edited by Laku; 07-19-2017 at 01:24 AM.

shooting you a pm.

there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.