Thread: Eclipse frame on an Automag

Eclipse frame on an Automag

So I saw Sk8ermog's Eclipse-framed "Tiny Mag" in his sale thread...

Then I saw a similar frame on eBay almost the next day, and bought it....

And after a few evenings of fiddling, viola!!

At first I was just gonna use it like any normal frame. The mounting holes line up perfectly, so I just needed to remove some material from inside the frame for the sear arm to hit the trigger. But then I noticed that the frame already had some holes drilled for other stuff (Autococker timing stuff, I'm assuming). And I had some left over sear-arms from pneumag builds. I started wondering what would happen if the sear was lengthened and lowered.

So I attached one sear to an expansion pin that sticks up through the frame.

Name:  IMG_20170201_205225.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  73.7 KB Name:  IMG_20170201_205145.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  76.6 KB

I removed the other sear arm and shaved down the sear a little bit so it can easily slide into the pin.

Name:  IMG_20170201_205204.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  61.8 KB

I also had to shave some material off the trigger and custom make a safety, but hey, all in a day's work, right?

Name:  IMG_20170201_204926.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  64.0 KB

Sadly, this will probably go up for sale soon. I forgot that chrome really isn't my style. But I've still got to test it first, and I need to drill a hole for the twist lock assembly, so at least I get to play with it for a while. The funnest part is building it, anyway.

Forgot to mention....the longer sear arm doesn't seem to make that much of a difference when it comes to trigger weight. Best I can tell, it feels like most other double-trigger frames. I mean, it's lighter than a stock classic with a single trigger frame, but I don't think it's that much different than a Benchmark or Intelliframe.

Looks great, though.

So you put a cocker frame on a mag ?

Why ?

Same reason people put Angel frames on mags. Or ultralite frames.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    So you put a cocker frame on a mag ?

Why ?

Cause there are more cocker frames than mag frames?

Some are actually more comfortable...

The cocker frames have more options than mag frames...

And like you sir, who has to have the tiniest feednecks, some people just like being different and see that regardless of any possible advantage, it's just fun to mod stiff to see if you can do it...

We certainly would not have mags if TK didn't see the inefficiency of the then current designs and choose to follow a new path.