Thread: Do I buy an X valve

Do I buy an X valve

My question. I have a classic valve with a L 7 bolt a reactor on off with ANN phase 2 air valve
    Yes I know a level 10 will help but what about the valve as a whole will I notice a big difference with a x valve
    I don't mind paying if there is a big difference in performance or would a level 10 make it the same as a x valve
    I have never seen one in action except the internet.

I've own both. X-valves are lighter, and they can cycle faster, but if you're keeping your Automag mechanical and not going pneumatic or electronic, then you'll never need that faster cycle speed. So the only difference between the classic valve with a Level 10 and an x-valve is the weight and look. If you don't care about either of those things, then I wouldn't bother. Level 10 kits regularly pop up on eBay for about $60, so just wait, watch, and snag on of those.

Oh, also keep in mind that if you have an older mag, you will have to replace the regulator piston assembly. The old brass ones are not designed for the higher pressure the Level 10 requires, and they will vent out the back. The newer ones are steel (pic is wrong on the website, I think), and they work much better.

For me, the X-valve is about weight and looks.
    I don't do any type of shooting where an x-valve is necessary over a lvl10-rt on/off-classic valve. But it is sometimes nice to have that sleek, black valve that weighs so much less sitting on the back of a build.
    So the question isn't performance for me, it's if nicer looks and less weight is worth an additional $150.

A classic valve with a retro on-off will have the same trigger pull as a retro/X valve. It just won't have the trigger kick to reset. This leads to a shorter open time for the on-off between shots. The retro valve also dumps air into the front chamber directly from the valve input allowing faster recharge. Therefore, it is harder to short stroke a retro/X valve than a classic valve. A lazy finger on the trigger where a person doesn't fully release the trigger before pulling again, will be more pronounced on the classic valve. If you have well trained trigger fingers, then a classic is fine.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.