Thread: Pneumag yes or no

Pneumag yes or no

I have an Intelliframe and was thinking of making it pneumag
    Are people still donning this
    Why or why not don't hold back with comments
    I want to stay away of electric so I can play in games with my son
    Thanks

Just curious...

Why can't you play in games with your son with an electro?

Does the field run separate games for electros and mechs?

If so... they must have a lot of traffic/business/customers... which is a good thing...

And yes... I THINK people are still doing this... I def see it referenced in threads here fairly frequently... and I am pretty sure there are products created fairly recently with this ultimate goal in mind.

Mondo
    Last edited by Mondoatx; 02-19-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Yes they separate electric
    He's 10 and just started so the electric games are just to fast for him

I get it man... good on the field for separating them out.

Have a couple of kids myself... not quite eligible for 50 cal from an age perspective... but that is how I plan on starting them out.

Good luck man!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottprocurot View Post
    Yes they separate electric
    He's 10 and just started so the electric games are just to fast for him

Soooo.... was thinking a bit more about this... playing devil's advocate here...

Isn't the purpose of making a pneumag (aside from it being a cool and intricate project) to make the trigger closer/similar to an electro's trigger thereby achieving a higher potential ROF?

Doesn't that kind of fly in the face of separating the mechs from the electros?

Why not just go out with a true mech mag... with maybe a bit of reactivity if you want...

Principle wise... it would be like me taking my RT Pro onto a mech only field with 1100 PSI running to it... that thing will keep up with some/most electros with that much reactivity (it needs a Rotor to keep up with it)... even though it would technically NOT be electronic... it would still be gross overkill from an ROF perspective... which I would think they would be trying to avoid...

You said don't hold back on the comments

Have a good night man.

M

I think the main difference between a pneumag and electronic marker (besides not needing batteries) is the lack of modes. If you can shoot a pneumag at 10 bps, then that's YOU doing the work. You've learned the skills to shoot fast. But if you just buy an Ion and set it ramping at 15 bps, then that's a different kind of advantage. So I think it's great that your field separates the two, and I think that using an RT mag in a mechanical-only game would not be fair. So yeah, pneumag or ULT is what I would personally use in your situation.

And to answer your opening question, people are indeed still making pneumags. I think that folks just don't post up about it as often because they're not as novel and new anymore, so why bother showing off what someone else has already done better (probably)?

You can buy kits from knownothingmags for about $50. Another $20 will get you a decent LPR. And if you don't have the right tools, I'm sure you can find someone here to do it for you. Just post up and ask. (I've made four myself this year alone. See attached for pics of the latest one that I made with a Dye UL frame and sleeper set-up.)

As for pros and cons, I think the pros are obvious. Short, light trigger pulls. No batteries. Less finger fatigue. There really aren't that many cons. The parts don't seem to break down that often. (I've owned my oldest pneumag for 8+ years now, and I haven't had to replace or fix any of the components.) Some people think that the LPR sticking out somewhere is kinda ugly, but I don't think so. Autocockers have way more things sticking out everywhere, and people don't think of them as ugly. Honestly, the only serious drawback I can think of is that pneumags use even more air than regular mags, but if you're playing at a field and refilling your tank between games, I doubt that's a problem for you. So I say go for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Oh, almost forgot. There's also Luke's T-Rex, which is basically a drop-in "engine" for a pneumag. All you need beside that is an LPR.

http://www.lukescustoms.com/t-rex.html

If you don't have all the tools to do it yourself, that's really the cheapest way to go. And it's lighter/faster/better than any DIY set-up I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondoatx View Post
    Doesn't that kind of fly in the face of separating the mechs from the electros?
    They really do blur that line. Field rules can be pushed on them as well. A field that demands 10.5 bps or less is a problem. My son would often clock mine at 14 bps; I would top out at 11, but not while chewing gum at the same time. Since there was no way to limit the rof, I can't use it on an occasion where the refs care.

They are indeed entertaining and nice to play with as an all mech. If you have a level 10, you can use a gravity loader and no one should give you trouble. Well, mostly; when you get good at shooting the ball stack and pausing, the ref may ask you about your "modes".

I would like to play with electronic on a causation and
    A when a rental player starts to layin on me I an kick there butt (not that happens)
    And I thinks it would be a cool project

The only rule is electric can't play with rentals and they say automags are equal to there rental guns

Automags are equal to rentals... OK!

The only rule is electric can't play with rentals and they say automags are equal to there rental guns

Quote Originally Posted by Mondoatx View Post
    Automags are equal to rentals... OK!
    My worst pneumag episode,

Ref: is that an old mag?
    Me: kind of, it's a pneumag
    Ref: no, it's an old mag

Oh, well.

If he could even identify it as a mag you are doing good... most of the refs at my home field top out in their early 20s in terms of age... so they have never seen one before... The tech there knows what they are kind of... but he impresses me with his extensive knowledge of markers... he was telling me about a customer's mag the other say and said "it had all these weird washers in the power tube" I am sure he was talking about L10 shims... it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW View Post
    My worst pneumag episode,

Ref: is that an old mag?
    Me: kind of, it's a pneumag
    Ref: no, it's an old mag

Oh, well.

I would like to play with electronic on a causation and
    A when a rental player starts to layin on me I an kick there butt (not that happens)
    And I thinks it would be a cool project
    The Emag is better suited for you.

It is an electro, able to keep up with anything out there. It can be switched into mechanical mode, and still work if you remove the battery, if refs don't believe you. You can even cap it, which you can not with a pneumag (yes, you can physically limit it by not shooting as fast).