Thread: Classic automag level 7 leaking

Classic automag level 7 leaking

I just pulled out my classic valve level 7(level 7 as far as I know), i aired it up. It started leaking(couldn't tell exactly from where), except when I held the trigger down. I don't know much about automata. I'm thinking about getting a rebuild kit and changing all the orings and everything else in that kit out anyways. I was just wondering what that could be.

did you oil it?

If it's leaking when the trigger is not being held but stops when the trigger is being held, then it's most likely the powertube o-ring. Still, it doesn't hurt to replace all the o-rings. When one starts to go, the others never seem that far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    did you oil it?
    Yes, I oiled it.

Quote Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
    If it's leaking when the trigger is not being held but stops when the trigger is being held, then it's most likely the powertube o-ring. Still, it doesn't hurt to replace all the o-rings. When one starts to go, the others never seem that far behind.
    Awesome thanks. I figured it would be best to replace them. This is the first time that I've had to replace anything on my automag since I got it. I got it in 2005 or so, and not sure if the previous owner replaced anything before selling it to me.

The life expectancy of orings is much less than the 12 years since 2005. Plus, you don't know the age of the orings prior to 2005. Orings harden over time. If its the original orings since 2005, then its time.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

How long can one typically expect rebuilds to last assuming the marker is kept indoor and away from temperature extremes?

Rebuilt my minimag in September, rebuilt my x valve last month. I'm good for a while
    yes, i could have purchased something new for the same money.

Quote Originally Posted by tucson.az.jbreen View Post
    How long can one typically expect rebuilds to last assuming the marker is kept indoor and away from temperature extremes?

Rebuilt my minimag in September, rebuilt my x valve last month. I'm good for a while
    I don't know if that's possible to nail down. Ever. Too many variables. I have an x-valve, for instance, that was fine for six years or so, and then one cold day killed the ULT o-rings. Or maybe the o-rings were almost gone anyway, and freezing temps + over-tightened field strip screw pushed them over the edge. All you can do is store everything in climate controlled environments, use quality oil, and hope for the best. And keep a spare kit on hand.

Different o-rings also wear out at different rates. I've replaced far more powertube and regulator o-rings than on/off o-rings, for instance.

I think oil quality also affects o-ring shelf life. I switched from Gold Cup to Outlast a few years ago (based on a glowing review from Doc), and I've already noticed improved durability.
    Last edited by rawbutter; 03-12-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Buna orings have a shelf life of about 15 years. Urethane orings have a shelf life of about 5 years. These life expectancies can be maximized or exceeded by limiting exposure to contaminants and other items affecting life such as sun, air, ozone, oils, etc.

The quality of oil you use has a big effect on the life expectancy once installed.

The weather extremes we experience in normal use and storage won't affect the life of the orings. The temperature range for changing that is well beyond anywhere your storage or gun may be placed unless you store your equipment in an operating oven. Freezing temperatures won't affect the orings either, except any oils you use may get stiff. The stiff oils may prevent proper movement and interfere with sealing. The only issue with freezing came when orings got stiff due to liquid CO2. Even then the orings didn't get hurt, but they couldn't seal. Operating while frozen could then damage the orings, but the freezing by themselves wouldn't hurt the orings.

Orings may work for years and then all of a sudden get hard and fail. It could be either the oil that broke down and affected the oring, or it could be that the oring reached beyond its chemical life expectancy and broke down. Orings that move a lot have a higher rate of failure than those that are static. Orings that have fluid, air included, passing by them have a higher chance of failure because of contamination acting as a friction agent or embedding itself in the oring.

Be prepared to change all the orings regularly to guarantee optimum long term reliability.