Thread: blue loctite on reg threads?

blue loctite on reg threads?

I bought an old Max Flow adjustable reg for my automag and I'm putting it on a new ninja tank. should I use blue loctite to keep it from unscrewing? would this cause any problems?

No, do not put any loctite, thread sealer or anything on the tank threads. There is an oring that will seal it up, in addition to the air pressure from filling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    No, do not put any loctite, thread sealer or anything on the tank threads. There is an oring that will seal it up, in addition to the air pressure from filling it.
    ok, it's not a screw in reg so it shouldn't be an issue I guess. we've already tested the reg on another tank (no loctite) to make sure it made a good seal. the only reason I was concerned is that older regulators don't have a vent groove milled into the threads like the new ninja tanks do.

The vent groove doesn't help with venting, best I can tell. The threads on the tank and reg aren't tapered, so they don't do much (if any) of the sealing job themselves. The o-ring does that. The threads are really only there to hold the reg tight to the tank.

And they work. I own two Max-Flo regs that I use on some loaner guns, and twice now I've had friends try to unscrew them at the end of the day or when they're going for an air fill. Of course I warn them not to, but somewhere along the day they forget, and they see other people unscrewing their tanks, so they try to do the same thing with the Max-Flo, and POOOOFFFF!!!! Thousands of PSI vent all at once. Scares the crap out of everyone in earshot. Ruins the o-ring too. But the tank hasn't flown off. Yet.

Needless to say, I put lock-tite on those tanks now. I know everyone says I don't need to, but it makes me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
    The vent groove doesn't help with venting, best I can tell. The threads on the tank and reg aren't tapered, so they don't do much (if any) of the sealing job themselves. The o-ring does that.
    well that makes me feel a little better. it was just a safety concern but if it vents before it's completely unscrewed I'm not worried. this is for my main mech gun so I don't think anyone else will be using it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
    The vent groove doesn't help with venting, best I can tell. The threads on the tank and reg aren't tapered, so they don't do much (if any) of the sealing job themselves. The o-ring does that. The threads are really only there to hold the reg tight to the tank.

And they work. I own two Max-Flo regs that I use on some loaner guns, and twice now I've had friends try to unscrew them at the end of the day or when they're going for an air fill. Of course I warn them not to, but somewhere along the day they forget, and they see other people unscrewing their tanks, so they try to do the same thing with the Max-Flo, and POOOOFFFF!!!! Thousands of PSI vent all at once. Scares the crap out of everyone in earshot. Ruins the o-ring too. But the tank hasn't flown off. Yet.

Needless to say, I put lock-tite on those tanks now. I know everyone says I don't need to, but it makes me feel better.
    Then your friends are idiots. There is literally no reason why you would have to unscrew a tank to fill the tank, so your field are idiots if they enforce that rule. At minimum, if the field doesn't want or wish to have accidental firing, then stringent use of barrel socks and no hoppers would solve that.

Remove the thread sealant from the tanks. Not only you can have particles of the sealant inside the tank, it can then be sent into the reg, causing potential problems & the gun itself. No one wants a to blow a noid in an expensive gun. But the biggest reason is that, if you seal up the tank to where it can not be removed easily, then if you have a problem, it could destroy the tank as it is supposed to be removable. Add in the fact that if you fly, you do need to open the tank, and show TSA that there is nothing inside and have it open to not pressurize. Ifdo not believe me, mail/contact Ninja, Luxfer or hydrotesters.con or any one of your trusted HPA dealers. They will all say the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they would fail the tank, with life on it, just because you used sealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Ifdo not believe me, mail/contact Ninja, Luxfer or hydrotesters.con or any one of your trusted HPA dealers. They will all say the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they would fail the tank, with life on it, just because you used sealer.
    Interestingly enough, I have read on Ninja's website that they use thread sealer on tank regs.

I switch regs around on my tanks, I dont thread lock any of them.

I never use thread locker. Never had an issue. If you travel with tanks at all, you definitely don't want any thread locker. You want easy access to take the regulator off the tank. AS mentioned, the threads will stay tight from just the thread friction, especially once air is put into the tank. You really have to apply a lot of torque on a tank to turn it off the threads once air is in there. It will vent around the threads long before there is any danger of the tank flying off the regulator even if someone does manage to screw the tank off.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Truth.

Tank has to be removed so they can see in the tank to fly.