Thread: Troubleshooting Leak

Troubleshooting Leak

So I have a classic valve with level 10 bolt that has stayed in the same gun configuration for 10+ years. In this time I have used rebuild kits as necessary to keep the gun leak free. The valve got the "new" higher pressure Reg Piston Assembly when the level 10 bolt was installed. No other configurations to the gun have changed.

Problem:
    I went to air this gun up at the field and it was leaking hard from the area where the the halves come together. Didn't think much of it, put the gun away and went to my backup for the day. Teching the gun has gotten me to this point.

-New rebuild kit was used in its entirety b/c it was probably time anyway --- still leaks from same spot.
    -Pulling and Holding the trigger does not effect the leak at all, gun will fire and continue right along leaking hard from same area.
    -Swapped in complete on/off assembly from known working classic valve --- does not effect the leak in the slightest.

I feel like this has to be coming from the reg seat, it is installed wide side into the pocket so it "snaps" in. When I unscrew the valve halves after the leak sometimes it is still in the pocket, and sometimes it is setting on the valve pin. Is it possible for a brand new reg seat to be defective and cause this kind of leak?

Sounds more like a body o-ring (#31 in the pic below). Even if it's new, sometimes it just doesn't fit right, especially with aftermarket regulators. Or it's possible that some gunk is stuck underneath, causing it to not seal correctly.

I would remove the body o-ring, clean underneath really well, oil it up, and try again. If the leak persists, you might need a new o-ring. You can order one from AGD, or just visit your local hardware store. I bet they have something that will work. They probably won't have Teflon o-rings, but the normal buna ones will work fine there, since there's no moving parts. It's just a static seal.

But it's definitely not the reg seat. Worn out reg seats cause leaking on/off assemblies, velocity spikes, and double-firings. You can literally feel the difference in the trigger when firing. If it's still shooting the way it should (except for the leak), then your problem is elsewhere.

Name:  classic valve.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  102.9 KB

I need a new rebuild kit anyway, will get one ordered and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk