Thread: anodized valve thumbscrews (classic)

anodized valve thumbscrews (classic)

looking for red, dust or polished.. thanks
    Matthew 10:34

Thumb screws are made from steel not aluminum.

my apologies.. im trying to match the "anodized screw set from kilaproducts" ... any advice luke?http://www.kilaproducts.com/product....sid=62&pid=215

Really no replacement for the AGD thumbscrew, switching to an aluminum one would be dangerous.

thanks for the info broham.. i am a day smarter

You could get it plated. Not sure how it would match though.

You can polish the OE knob though for minimal cash. Just a little palm grease.

thanks 1k... i figured AGD would have at least Teflon coated one or something.. im a simpleton so i guess it all has to do with tolerances and specifications for safety that i have no clue about.. this site is a godsend.. infinite knowledge

If you're worried about the thumb screw not matching the rest of your color scheme, you can use a different 10-32 screw. Maybe something like this that's black and will hug the frame a little more, like this:

Name:  m5 button head cap screw.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  12.2 KB

Obviously, you'll have to use an allen key instead of your thumb to remove the valve. And the AGD thumb screw is an odd length, so you probably won't find the perfect size at your local hardware store. You'll have to buy something a little longer and cut/grind it down. But it can work.

Quote Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
    If you're worried about the thumb screw not matching the rest of your color scheme, you can use a different 10-32 screw. Maybe something like this that's black and will hug the frame a little more, like this:

Obviously, you'll have to use an allen key instead of your thumb to remove the valve. And the AGD thumb screw is an odd length, so you probably won't find the perfect size at your local hardware store. You'll have to buy something a little longer and cut/grind it down. But it can work.
    if you cut or grind a screw that is about the fastest way to have to helicoil a valve i have seen. I have a stack of valves that need to be done from people doing things they shouldn't and this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post

As I recall, TK suggested many years ago that this is a BIG no-no. There is no substitute for the AGD thumb screw as I understand it.

Could try having a titanium thumbscrew fabricated and have that anodized? Probably cost prohibitive...

Couldn't you just powdercoat one?

Quote Originally Posted by ElGringo View Post
    Couldn't you just powdercoat one?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes
    would this affect the tolerances in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by smallerfreeze View Post
    would this affect the tolerances in any way?
    Just powdercoat the top and leave the threads alone. Should be fine.

that sounds like the final solution rawbutter