Thread: New mag build problem

New mag build problem

I built a mag for Living Legends (ULE body, X-Valve, Intelli-Frame Double Trigger). I'm pretty new to performance mag components. It shot great all weekend. However, I was never able to get it to RT. I had a brand new SL77 with SHP reg (so 1100 psi). Are their any pointers I should take a look at first. I gave it to one of my buddies that is seasoned RT shooter and he couldn't get it to RT either.

Also, this was very odd and the main reason of this post. After a few shots, my trigger would "twitch". The trigger pin was pulsing about every 5 seconds. After a while it would stop until I popped of a stream and it would start pulsing again.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    // lance

Shorter rt pin

new or used parts? which on off- rt or ule? how big is the gap between the trigger rod and the back of the trigger gassed up with the safety on?

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up23 View Post
    Shorter rt pin
    Ok I have read a little bit about that.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    new or used parts? which on off- rt or ule? how big is the gap between the trigger rod and the back of the trigger gassed up with the safety on?
    Used parts. I think it is a ULT, is there a sure-fire way to tell. I will air it up and measure for you later tonight.

with a SHP that thing should sing ,, Check you on/off , bad upper rings could cause the " twitch " , a ULT does not like to RT , a RT on/off with a standard length pin should RT with a SHP

if it is a ult then it will not RT. trigger rod gap should be no more than the thickness of a credit card

ULT should still RT plenty fast at that input pressure, given correct shimming/effective pin length. I've seen them scream at normal input pressures.

I'm not clear on the twitching/pulsing symptom you are describing, and would like to know more before offering advice.

Gas it while holding trigger down for several seconds. Any leaks or funky behavior?

Does it do it when trigger is pulled, or not pulled?

Both vintage and maniacmechanic have thrown some bones about where to look. Be sure those things are in order, and keep us posted.

Can you post some video of the behavior in question?

Hey guys,

I see multiple posts here saying mags will not RT with ULT... but my experience has been different...

I have 2 mags with xvalves both with ULT on/offs... the on offs have 5-6 shims in them... and they both RT like crazy... I measured one's ROF on the BPS chrono last week at 23 BPS... and it is controllable... I can do single shots when I want to... but if I hold my finger in the right spot it becomes a machine gun.

The input on 1 is 950 PSI and on the other is something beyond 1200... and they both RT like nuts...

Oddly enough... on my newer build (the one with the 950 PSI tank)... when I ran an 1100 PSI tank on it I got LESS RT than with the 950... I can only assume this has something to do with flow rate being different between the two regs...

Sorry my experience differs from everyone elses... but it is what it is.

If you want to stick with the RT on/off shorten the pin... and it will RT more... or add a ULT on/off with a billion shims... LOL.

A ULT is not Designed to RT ( designed for Ultra Light Trigger pull/resistance ) ,,, they will RT if the design changes ; 6 shims ,,,,
    2 things affect RTing ( Maybe 3 ) Tank Output PSI , ON/OFF pin length and maybe Reg Air Flow
    the correct way to set up RTing is by Adjusting Tank Output with a stock pin ,, then fine tuning it with a shim or two

Doesn't AGD take the stance that direct from the factory, in the optimum operating parameters, that the X-Valve should not go RT? I seem to recall reading that from Sandman a while back regarding the mech tourney division issue. My experience with Mags is only with Classic valves so I may have my wires crossed.

Correct.

They were not meant to bounce in the way we like to make them bounce now (though the feature was surely recognized then), but were meant to be more capable of faster, less user-error-prone shooting. AGD's philosophy has always been about maximizing performance. Crazy bounce would have been completely counter-productive at that time. Remember the loaders and bolts in use when this came out. AGD would never have wanted to take a marker that already had some bad press regarding chopping/blending and then rocket that image even further into the stratosphere.

Recall also that the bounce thing very much hurt AGD when it came to competitive play. The ULT was in part an attempt to keep the speed but minimize the chances of bouncing in competition, while at the same time allow players the option of tinkering if they wanted.

The modern NXL mech situation is revisiting many of those old discussions and issues.