Thread: painting a mainbody?

painting a mainbody?

Name:  uBuBjxk.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  30.4 KB ... im sure using rattle cans on a mag is heresy, but i was wondering if anyone had advice on making a black colored main body ....i got this one looking too glossy
    Matthew 10:34

Cerakote/powder coating is pretty nice for stainless parts, lots will bring up that theres a chance for tolerance issues, personally I've never had any tolerance issues with anything I've had cerakoted

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up23 View Post
    Cerakote/powder coating is pretty nice for stainless parts, lots will bring up that theres a chance for tolerance issues, personally I've never had any tolerance issues with anything I've had cerakoted
    awesome, thanks, i didnt even think to consider that.

Pretty sure black Teflon is what was used back in the day for the black bodies. And I remember seeing a few color plated bodies in APG. I'm personally not a fan of powder for PB guns. But that is just personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Pretty sure black Teflon is what was used back in the day for the black bodies. And I remember seeing a few color plated bodies in APG. I'm personally not a fan of powder for PB guns. But that is just personal preference.
    me neither really.. but i really like the teflon bodies from back in the mid 90's .. and i dont want to spend ano money

Yes, stock black bodies were black teflon. They do come up for sale occasionally.

To paint it, you can try this. Scotch-brite the body to scuff it up. Use a rattle can, try for a couple coats, make sure you seal off the screw hole and places where you don't want the paint. Then get any type of sealer, as the environment of paintball will chip off unprotected paint. You can also try, before the black paint, a self-etching primer to give it a good base to bond with.

Powder coating and cerokote are much thicking and more protective. Nothing will stop all the chips, nicks and rubs, but with just paint on it, it will show wear earlier than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Yes, stock black bodies were black teflon. They do come up for sale occasionally.

To paint it, you can try this. Scotch-brite the body to scuff it up. Use a rattle can, try for a couple coats, make sure you seal off the screw hole and places where you don't want the paint. Then get any type of sealer, as the environment of paintball will chip off unprotected paint. You can also try, before the black paint, a self-etching primer to give it a good base to bond with.

Powder coating and cerokote are much thicking and more protective. Nothing will stop all the chips, nicks and rubs, but with just paint on it, it will show wear earlier than anything else.
    i etched, primed, painted and clear coated.. its way too shiny though.. thanks for the imput.. hopefully i can achieve at least something as good if not maybe better looking than the factory AGD teflon coating ... lol worst case scenario is i just buy another minimag body

Try a semi-gloss or a matte sealer. Not only will it be twice as good with 2 coats, the matte finish will tone down the finish. You can also scotch brite the finish now to take down the shine.

Cerakote is great, and it sticks to stainless

Before

After

Quote Originally Posted by keiko_819 View Post
    Before

After
    that after pic looks just as good as anything that came from AGD with a teflon coating ...what did it cost u?

I honestly can't remember but it was not expensive for how it turned out, not to mention durability, I've been playing with this on one of my pump mags for quite sometime and there is no wear anywhere.

Voodoo on MCB charged around 170$ for an entire marker and some Misc (about 17-20 parts)

Here's the link to his MCB thread, don't thinks he's currently taking work
    http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...g-service.html

VooDoo on MCB did my Minimag body in OD green several years ago. I love how it turned out and the durability has been great.

i think you can still buy certain black Teflon bodies from AGD.