Thread: 68 classic- Low Velocity

68 classic- Low Velocity

I purchased a 68 classic automag yesterday and I am having low velocity issue. With the velocity all the way up the gun shoots under 150 FPS. I shot some oil through it but have not tried anything else at this point. Any advice is appreciated.

Bit of extra info:
    The low velocity issue existed both before and after I shot oil through the gun. Oil made no difference. I used air compressor oil.

There are no leaks at all.

Barrel bore was matched to paint.

I am not sure what my tank reg output pressure is, I believe it is a standard output but it may be set to 600 PSI. I am only shooting 1 BPS or less. I will be testing the mag with a HP tank this weekend but would like to know what other parts I should check.

Please assume I have absolutely not idea what I am doing with this mag, even the most basic advice is helpful.

you need around 800 psi input for a mag to run.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    you need around 800 psi input for a mag to run.
    Thanks. It was my suspicion that the tank output was the source of the problem. However, shouldn't I be able to get at least 1 shot off with a 600-800 PSI output? It is my understanding that a 68 classic air chamber seals off at about 400 PSI.

Issue fixed. The automag had an improperly installed reg seat and a part of the on/off valve was installed upside down. The fact that it would shoot at all like that is pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by adennis View Post
    Issue fixed. The automag had an improperly installed reg seat and a part of the on/off valve was installed upside down. The fact that it would shoot at all like that is pretty impressive.
    If the gun is new to YOU, then buy parts kit and overhaul it so you know what you have. If the parts are ok now then keep those for spares. It should last years without overhauling it again...
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart