Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cool Hand Luke UMF frame

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Will it use standard 45 grips?
    I'm leaning towards aluminum grips because the top screw of 45 grips hit the T-Rex, so screw threads would have to be ground down to 0.07" in length, not exactly ideal.

Will it use standard 45 grips?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I'm leaning towards aluminum grips because the top screw of 45 grips hit the T-Rex, so screw threads would have to be ground down to 0.07" in length, not exactly ideal.

I think thats kind of an affliction of all the aftermarket frames, and really with new designs, I dont see how it can be helped.

No one really ever came up with a good option for the UMF or the Triton, although Kruger did make a few wood ones.

If someone had the tools to do it (dremel and band saw ?), micarta is an option that can be had fairly inexpensively on eBay...

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson

Micarta is not cost effective, its much more expensive than aluminum

That is awful.

That is awful.
    45 panels aren't really worth the trade off:
    -They don't fit correctly
    -They don't look right on non 45 grip frames
    -Less ULE milling
    -Hassle adding a LPR
    -Does not work well with the T-Rex
    -Wonky standards on 45 grip screw spacing
    -Most people will ask me to make aluminum grip panels anyway.

My absolute favorite frame. Keep the countersunk valve screw please!!!

Micarta is not cost effective, its much more expensive than aluminum
    That may be true but aluminum needs to be anodized adding a cost you arent counting, and there are some amazing patterns of micarta that would make some pretty cool looking custom grips.

Quote Originally Posted by sjrtk View Post
    *AGD rear thumb screw.

From OP

I can always hope...

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    That may be true but aluminum needs to be anodized adding a cost you arent counting, and there are some amazing patterns of micarta that would make some pretty cool looking custom grips.
    Micarta cost at least 6X more than aluminum.
    I do machine plastic but can be tricky unless you spend a bunch of money to get setup to machine it. I would have to purchase a vacuum plate, vacuum, and all the parts to set it up, plus the cost of fixturing plates would go up by several hundred times or more. It's just not worth it (to me) doing low volume runs that I do.

Iím interested

Quote Originally Posted by sjrtk View Post
    As I understand it standard screws are a safety issue. I could be miss remembering the statement, but I recall TK stating many years ago that using standard screws were dangerous. I would probably switch all my frames to a flathead if that wasn't the case.

I am interested but for RT Classic set up. I understand it can't be used for TRex

As I understand it standard screws are a safety issue. I could be miss remembering the statement, but I recall TK stating many years ago that using standard screws were dangerous. I would probably switch all my frames to a flathead if that wasn't the case.
    I've used standard screws in various mags for years and I've never had an issue. In fact, the only screw I've ever broken was an AGD factory screw. Maybe this is an old piece of advice that's outdated. As in, the screws from $30 years ago couldn't be trusted, but nowadays they are stronger and safer.

Still, it's better to be safe than sorry. I doubt the screw hold design will be a deal-breaker for anyone.

MOTM14
    Quote Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
    I've used standard screws in various mags for years and I've never had an issue. In fact, the only screw I've ever broken was an AGD factory screw. Maybe this is an old piece of advice that's outdated. As in, the screws from $30 years ago couldn't be trusted, but nowadays they are stronger and safer.

Still, it's better to be safe than sorry. I doubt the screw hold design will be a deal-breaker for anyone.
    I have had to had multiple (8 x valves, 2 classic, 2 rt valves) ruined from other people using other screws and or trying to remove broken screws. I have used field strip screws since 2k2 and have had no issues. if one snaps its easily removable with a eraser end. The same can not necessarily be said for other screws. not to mention you can't get it finger tight if you are using a tool. you have to think about people who will purchase your product and whether or not they will replace the screw that the head is starting to strip out on before its done and who is then going to be asked to remove that screw with out ruining the frame, valve etc.

I wouldnt use a standard screw and i surely wouldn't countersink it.

It won't stop me from getting one of the frames myself. Just the perfect frame shape and angle for my hands.

Interested!

As long as it's affordable, I would definitely be interested

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Gentlemen, this frame is inline for production early this year.

I want one! Count me in. U taking deposits?

I havenít checked in on this thread for a while and am stoked these are gonna happen!!
    Iíll definitely be grabbing one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Taco303 View Post
    I want one! Count me in. U taking deposits?
    Not taking deposits at the moment. I need to finish up the the VASA's the get the Z2 frames done and out the door. After that I need to get some personal projects wrapped up (non machining related) then I have loose plans to get the CHL frame made. I dont want to drag out a preorder for that long.

I would be in for one but it would be a huge bonus if we could stuff one of your LPRs in there.

In for 2 at least

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg047 View Post
    it would be a huge bonus if we could stuff one of your LPRs in there.
    Initially I didn't think it was possible, but I do believe so now.

This keeps sounding better and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am anxiously optimistic lol...

Sleeper LPR and 45 grips (for my Dye Stickies), and I would pay whatever number you put on it!

It should be able to be done.

Did this to a Logic UMF many years ago...[/IMG]

By the way, in regard to the field strip screw IMO if you is a SS screw you should be OK. That is what I have done on many occasions, for many years and have never had a failure.
    ......You know you want one!!

When I originally made the statement, it really had to do with using the parts I manufacture. The issue I initially ran into was fitting the P90 LPR with the T-Rex and also having room to adjust the LPR pressure. Since then I've manufactured a LPR adjuster for my P90 reg that uses an open end wrench instead of a hex key. With the new adjuster and angling the LPR to miss the T-Rex mount it looks promising, I just haven't done the CAD work and looked at production machining to verify it's all viable.

I'm sticking with AGD spec on the field strip screw, based on TK's comments years ago. It's one thing to take chances when it only involves your personal safety, it's different when you force those choices on others.

I"ll take one.
    "Crush Your Opponents, See Them Eliminated Before You, & Hear The Lamentations Of Their Team Captains!"