Thread: Nfl / espn

Question Nfl / espn

Does anyone still watch the NFL or even care ?

They stopped being relevant to me in the 80's.

They seem to have become the millionaires equivalent of black lives matter.

It looks to me like Americans are tired of all the nonsense on ESPN and the NFL.

Advertisers are canceling and people are canceling ESPN and voting with their pocketbook.

It's good to see Americans pushing back.

I think you're right.

Americans are called racist and bigoted enough through the news and cable pundits; we don't need it in sports as well.

Regardless, the whole kneeling schtick is just antagonizing and counterproductive at this point.... they are just ticking off at least half of the country, the people they'd need support from if they want any real "change" (whatever that would look like). They'd be make a better point if they just spent some of their millions on taking out an ad or commercial.

Well, I admire your willingness to grab the third rail.

I don't watch ESPN or NFL. Overall I think these major sports are an unnecessary drain on the already painfully limited attention span of society.

But hey, now that we have your attention, might as well make use of it.

What part of Americans being called racist upsets you?

Is it because you think it's not true, or are you just tired of the inconvenience?

Is this form of protest during a pretty much perfunctory part of the event where you are probably off on a bio break, flipping the last burgers, or fetching a fresh cold one cramping your pre-game ritual?

"OMG turtle head poking out. How much time do I have?"

"They're just about to start the anthem. I'll hold your beer. GO GO GO!"

So, OK, there are "better ways of protesting". You suggested buying ad time instead of filling a part of the event where you wouldn't normally be paying attention anyways.

But wouldn't that *immediately* land you right back here complaining, "Man, I am so tired of seeing all these uppity SJW ads during a game. I can't hardly pinch one off now during the break because I'm so upset."
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

Haven't watched ESPN in 20 years. When they started to be all about the image of sports, and how they themselves are above it than just playing/reviewing the actual sports.

Haven't watched or care for football/NFL for slightly longer. When places like ESPN started to put football up on the pedestal, talking about it nearly everyday. No, there are other sports that people care about. In the middle of june, they need to be talking about the current ongoing sporting season, not practice of this team. And i really do not want 24/7/365 football. And the inundation of all these experts talking/disecting/ each and every play. No, i don't want or need this. There is an off-season for a reason.

So i don't really care about it. I ignore it. I really hate when millionaires think they are just like the people they are "standing with". Yeah, you want to live in the hood, act like the hood, till you go down to the Mercedes dealer then all bets are off. You want to make a stand against inequality, actually make a stand & make a change. But that would require you to stand up and be held accountable...

Great business plan they got going on now.............. Plenty of people watch sports for entertainment, not to get lectured by millionaires. The NFL pissed on a large percentage of their former paying customers, then wants to go into damage control when it hits their income. How about just shut up and go back to entertaining the masses with truly meaningless games which was a money making machine. Opps too late.......
    When trolls run scared. Mrs E, " Doug I will effin cut you!"

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    What part of Americans being called racist upsets you?

Is it because you think it's not true, or are you just tired of the inconvenience? lol wow...so when did you (or in this case, White America) stop beating your wife? Kinda the same thing at this point.
    Name:  racism.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  54.6 KB That survey isn't perfect but is a decent enough litmus test of our country's "about as low as it's gonna get" racism epidemic compared to the rest of the world, and that doesn't even take into account the governing laws that are in place to protect minorities.

Is this form of protest during a pretty much perfunctory part of the event where you are probably off on a bio break, flipping the last burgers, or fetching a fresh cold one cramping your pre-game ritual? Was I supposed to also have a bunch of my friends over, diggin in the chips n dip and passing around drinks too? Some people, like myself, simply sit on the couch waiting for the game.

"OMG turtle head poking out. How much time do I have?"

"They're just about to start the anthem. I'll hold your beer. GO GO GO!"

So, OK, there are "better ways of protesting". You suggested buying ad time instead of filling a part of the event where you wouldn't normally be paying attention anyways. But who watches ad's and commercials during a football game too? Wouldn't I be "fetching a fresh cold one" during that point? An ad has words and tone that can convey an argument or point in a more classy, nuanced way that might not alienate as many people. Just kneeling sends the message that you support a former QB's point of views, the same QB who wore pig socks to practice. Some would view that as a bit of a divisive stance to support during the national anthem.

But wouldn't that *immediately* land you right back here complaining, "Man, I am so tired of seeing all these uppity SJW ads during a game. I can't hardly pinch one off now during the break because I'm so upset." I poop in a bucket during my football games. I never miss a gameday moment.

My impression of the protest and reaction so far:

"What'cha protestin?"

"Unequal treatment of minorities in the criminal justice system"

"You hate the flag!?"

"No, I'm just using this moment and my platform to draw attention to a cause that's important to me"

"You hate America!"

"No, I love this country and I want to help to make it a better place"

"Hey guys! This ingrate hates America!"

Granted, the protesters have been less than articulate, but the whole flag/military thing is a strawman.

They have had their day in court and lost, the court of public opinion.

Revenues are down to a new low.

Hows the saying go, when you play with fire.....

Quote Originally Posted by Patron God of Pirates View Post
    My impression of the protest and reaction so far:

"What'cha protestin?"

"Unequal treatment of minorities in the criminal justice system"

"You hate the flag!?"

"No, I'm just using this moment and my platform to draw attention to a cause that's important to me"

"You hate America!"

"No, I love this country and I want to help to make it a better place"

"Hey guys! This ingrate hates America!"

Granted, the protesters have been less than articulate, but the whole flag/military thing is a strawman.
    yup. kapernick even got the idea to kneel from a former green beret and veteran. trump only became involved when he stupidly stuck his nose into it. it was never an unpatriotic or anti-trump protest.

the NFL has been loosing relevancy for nearly a decade, this protest isn't the reason for there problems. the sport is dying pure and simple. youth participation is down, and in a generation it will be dead, mostly due to the brain damage it inflicts. most folks i know who care about it, really only care because of fantasy football, they arnt like fans anymore of teams. they care about the players on there fantasy team.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"