Thread: Valve Weights

Valve Weights

While I was going through my Mag stuff to see what I can let go, I looked at my various valves and was curious about the weight differences. So I grabbed six (which correspond to most valves out there) and measured them. On/offs, power tube tips and spacers were kept intact.

6th place: stainless steel SmartMag

5th place: stainless steel/aluminum ReTro

4th place: stainless steel/aluminum Classic RT

3rd place: stainless steel A.I.R. & Shocktech aluminum

2nd place: aluminum X

1st place: stainless steel A.I.R. & aluminum DeuceMachina cap

11.3oz SS classic
    9.9oz SS/aluminum ReTro/E-mag/RT Pro
    8.7oz SS/aluminum RT
    8.4oz aluminum back SS classic
    6.8oz aluminum X-valve
    6.2oz aluminum capped SS classic

Yeah, the capped valve will require a secondary regulator so isn't the lightest in operational use, but the change in balance and length is something to consider.

This info may not be that useful...but it is knowledge and something else to add to the database that is AO.
    Last edited by Bunny; 01-20-2018 at 08:21 PM.
    >>WTB<< Sydarm w/ constant air__WarpedMephisto half-c/f body__Ac!d c/f trigger__TASO humpback frame__an Oh-Mag

Awesome post man, out of curiosity where do I get those deus machina caps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Whups, it was "Deus Machina" on MCB back in 2010 (Classic Mag Reg Caps Finally Up). He had various styles - internal slot like mine, external slot, knurled edge or center hex.

I remember recently coming across a thread where XMagTerror made some too a few years back...here it is *NEW* Classic Valve Caps!!!.

They're not practical for best operation of a Mag but are something different.

Bunny can you please sticky this so when some one asks i have a place to send them.

Or better yet make it an article on AO archives? There's already quite a lot of stickied stuff.

ya i agree with this one.

Nice post. I added this to the archives. I will convert the images so we do not lose them. I have a few pages i'm building out in the valve section. Thx!

Just popping in to say that it's still awesome to see my stuff around.
    Unfortunately I'm not in a place I can make more, for now, and it's a shame I kind of dropped off the planet when that went down. Oh, for a workshop again.
    Wish I had weighed those beforehand! I meant to shave some weight, but a 45% reduction on a stainless valve, enough to get it lighter than an X-valve, and the lightest of the bunch? Kinda proud of that.
    Last edited by Deus Machina; 02-11-2018 at 02:05 AM.