Thread: Why is the spool valve the dominant design now?

Why is the spool valve the dominant design now?

Coming back after a 10 year hiatus, it seems the vast majority of guns (mechanical or electro) are now spool valves. Why? What makes them the best design?

Thanks,

Calvin
    From a poster at PB Nation:

""Jim, back to your cave. Bob Long is on the batphone..."

MY FEEDBACK

Many players prefer spoolies for the slim, single tube size; smooth/quiet shot; and no external moving parts. In recent years, they've gotten easier to maintain and emphasis has been more on shot quality than high ROF or max efficiency. Mercifully, we've gotten away from the ROF wars of last decade.

It's not so very much a quantifiable 'best' so much as subjective. Shoot what's fun.

Other than the LV1, which is a lever poppit valve, the poppit style gun has pretty much reached the zenith of what you can do to it. Good to great efficiency, ease of use and a well established design.

Spools on the other hand can offer better shot, improving efficiency, smaller profile and untapped potential in what else can be done with them.

Long lost are the days of spools vs poppits, just like cockers vs mags. Performance is just about the same, its just a different way of delivering the paint.

I agree with Nobody. There's not as much difference in performance.

For me, I think single-tube guns line up better for me and I tend to shoot a little better. It something about the ergonomics of it. I perceive the path of the paintball slightly differently, even though there's no actual difference in its trajectory.