Thread: freak XL - marketing hype or a real difference?

freak XL - marketing hype or a real difference?

So is everything I've read about the freak XL just marketing hype or does it actually make a difference over the normal freak system? The only real reason it interests me at all is because of my favorite barrel for my classic RT mag. Not sure who actually made it or what its called even but I love the look of it on the RT. I'm pretty sure the longer inserts would be just about a perfect match for the barrel length too. I believe the barrel is more than thick enough to support freak boring as well, if anyone even does that anymore. Be nice to have a unique tip on the barrel to add a bit more character to it.

Name:  rtmag bull.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  118.0 KB

Though I have to admit, I like the compression barrel on the RT too... but I won't ever get that freaked.

Name:  rtmag compress.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  120.6 KB

I really need to find a new frame for that.. gotta get rid of that blue.

From what I understand, the freak xl inserts are longer so youll need a new back. I love the freak system too, but from what ive read and seen online...the xl makes a difference on paper, but its pretty small and not something you’d really notice in gameplay.

If someone is new to freaks, id recommend it. If someone already has a freak, its probably not worth the $100+ to upgrade to it.

The inserts are longer.

There are no backs for a twist lock in the new stuff.

IMO ,,,,HYPE ,, to sell more gi spurtz junk ( kids buy anything )

Longer control bore should make a difference.

Lots of companies are doing this now, Stella, empire etc.

I own a freak as well as the barrel that comes with the sniper ( forgot it's name right now, 8 inch backs) I've noticed a difference when the paint I'm shooting is marginal. If the paint is really good you probably won't see a difference but when the paint is iffy you can see a difference. It's not a miracle solution by any means but I feel it does help.

I plan on moving to a deadly winds fibur XL at some point.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The difference it makes will depend largely on the marker being used. Volume and peak pressure behind the ball. IIRC for Mags this is 8-10 inches. That's supposed to be before the porting, but the barrel step effects consistency / efficiency as well. I have a destructive customs barrel with an 8.5" control bore. All things being equal it shoots darts, but it also seems to get more barrel breaks (anecdote).

Quote Originally Posted by Patron God of Pirates View Post
    but it also seems to get more barrel breaks (anecdote).
    That does kind of make sense especially if you like to underbore, long tight barrel back providing more opportunity for crap paint to do it's thing.

Anyone know of someone that still does freak boring? Someone linked me to a facebook group that does freak boring, but they bore from the back end of the barrel. I'm wanting to get a twistlock bored for the freak xl, preferably with the end threaded for a nice tip (old freak threaded) to be installed. The image is the barrel I want done, the freak xl should fit rather nicely.. may lose a half inch of the barrel, but the tip would make that up plus some.

Name:  IMG_4130.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  424.3 KB

Ty McNeer/Brass Monkey customs

You would have to talk to him directly as twistlocks are more difficult and how you want it is not the norm, i don't think. I am sure he has facebook but also on MCB

Not sure a twistlock would work as the insert would not be able to seat against the breach since it has to be forward of the hole the ball drops into.

I think the XL is long overdue, never been a huge fan of the freak since you're only sizing 1/2 the barrel and the front half is too large to do anything. If you already have a set it's probably still not worth the upgrade but definitely the way to go if just purchasing one. If I didn't hate Gog/GI/Smart Parts I'd already own one.
    My feedback

Made in USA - it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by paint magnet View Post
    If I didn't hate Gog/GI/Smart Parts I'd already own one.
    I dont hate them but I avoid using their products also.

Especially paint.

But the easiest way would be get a twist lock to cocker thread Automag barrel adapter.

http://docsshop.storenvy.com

Personally I use an Inception Designs barrel kit, I stopped using Freaks.

http://www.inceptiondesigns.com/Sear...s.asp?Cat=1981

Last edited by going_home; 03-11-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Already have a twist lock adapter. I just reeaaally like the look of that unported barrel on the classic RT. But it's a really large bore barrel, so I was hoping to find someone that would bore/tip it. But it doesn't look like that is possible.