Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do I mill a rail for a pump rod?

how do I mill a rail for a pump rod?

I'm getting a pump kit, and I already have a pump milled body, so the only thing I'm missing to complete the build is a pump milled rail. Fortunately, I have a mill, but unfortunately, I've never seen a pump-milled rail in person, so I'm not sure what to do.

The way I understand it, a pump mag has a shorter bolt return spring, so the bolt doesn't fully reset after firing. (And the wave spring helps with this, right?) When you pump the handle, though, the pump rod reaches back through the rail and pushes the bolt back. When you fire again, however, won't the bolt hit the pump rod? I'm guessing the pump rod has to be pulled down somehow when it's in the forward position.

So do I need to just mill a channel for the rod? Or does the back end of that channel have to have an upward slant?

How good are my chances of screwing this up completely and ruining a perfectly good rail?

Check your messages
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

please send it to someone that knows how to mill it. It is not as simple as milling a straight slot. It is a compound slot that requires either a cnc mill.

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky View Post
    please send it to someone that knows how to mill it. It is not as simple as milling a straight slot. It is a compound slot that requires either a cnc mill.
    Exactly what captian pinky said. The slot "slopes" up which allows the pump rod to come forward and down to clear. Luke I believe slots rails for pumps.

you can do it on a manual mill easily, but Im guessing the appropriate people have been in contact with you already.

You can definitely half-ass on a manual mill.

If you don't take your time. Carter use to do them all the time for us in CA. They work flawless

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I stand by my original comment.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I stand by my original comment.

Hmm.... I am the king of half-ass.

So, if I try this, I would have to do a straight channel first, and then slope it up toward the end? Doesn't sound too hard. I've got plenty of scrap aluminum that I can experiment with, and even a few FUBAR rails that I can hack up first. I just need to know where to start sloping.

Can I go straight and then just angle the channel up by 30* or so for the last inch? Or does the slope need to be more....curvy? Are we talking about this, or this?

The fact that you are even asking the question means you shouldn't do it. It is not a straight cut. Last thing i want is another botched pumpmag rail that myself or someone else needs to try and fix. Save yourself, the next guy and the next guy the trouble and send it to luke. I send everyone to luke for the pump milling because he is set up for it and its correct.

I agree with this.

Last thing i want is another botched pumpmag rail that myself or someone else needs to try and fix.
    Nah, chew it up and spit it out, we'll make more. lol

Nah, chew it up and spit it out, we'll make more. lol
    As long as it isn't sold, he can cut them in half for all i care.

As long as it isn't sold, he can cut them in half for all i care.
    LOL.

I hear you, it happens all the time, I know first hand.

The fact that you are even asking the question means you shouldn't do it.
    But.....how does anyone ever learn to do anything without asking the questions? I'm sure there was a time when Luke and everyone else didn't know how to mill a rail. Someone had to teach them. They had to learn. I want to do that too.

And don't worry. If I botch it up, I promise I won't send it to you for fixing. I'll just ULE the rail and sell it for a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
    But.....how does anyone ever learn to do anything without asking the questions? I'm sure there was a time when Luke and everyone else didn't know how to mill a rail. Someone had to teach them. They had to learn. I want to do that too.

And don't worry. If I botch it up, I promise I won't send it to you for fixing. I'll just ULE the rail and sell it for a profit.
    I have plenty of extra rails for you too if you need more practice. And of the metal variety. . If you want to learn, learn. And no worries back when I was buying I came across mucho rails hit me up if you need another.

That's a bit harsh, Jake. Let the man (or woman, or whatever they identify as) live their life. Aren't screw ups half the fun?

The fact that you are even asking the question means you shouldn't do it. It is not a straight cut. Last thing i want is another botched pumpmag rail that myself or someone else needs to try and fix. Save yourself, the next guy and the next guy the trouble and send it to luke. I send everyone to luke for the pump milling because he is set up for it and its correct.

I agree with this.

You spend 250k on a mazak and mill it.lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Xmagterror View Post
    You spend 250k on a mazak and mill it.lmao
    I can do it for 1/2 that price on a Haas.

In twice the time.bahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Xmagterror View Post
    In twice the time.bahaha
    7500 RPM max will do that.

Manual mill with an angle vice it's an easy job but don't rush it, Cnc is obviously easier

OMG, how did people ever mill anything in the 200+ years of metal working without the aid of computers???

Just forget it. It can never, ever be done manually. Forget that you can take the time to make it a compound cut, because it is just a straight slot, with a ramp up. Come on, a pump slot is shear rocket science and no one has ever gone into space, put a man (men) on the moon, or even gone great & vast distances without a computer. Call the boys and girls at Nasa, the Jet Propulsion laboratory, MIT, cause that **** is way to difficult to ever be figured out. Seriously...

Who said it cant be done on a manual mill?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    OMG, how did people ever mill anything in the 200+ years of metal working without the aid of computers???

Just forget it. It can never, ever be done manually. Forget that you can take the time to make it a compound cut, because it is just a straight slot, with a ramp up. Come on, a pump slot is shear rocket science and no one has ever gone into space, put a man (men) on the moon, or even gone great & vast distances without a computer. Call the boys and girls at Nasa, the Jet Propulsion laboratory, MIT, cause that **** is way to difficult to ever be figured out. Seriously...
    I <3 this. Welcome to the party!

Here's what I've saved from haveblue.org, since it seems to have died.

Name:  Y3yMqWK.gif
Views: 179
Size:  3.9 KB
    Name:  lYDRI1e.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  13.5 KB
    Name:  xpke34A.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  27.5 KB

Lightbulb

Who said it cant be done on a manual mill?

nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    Here's what I've saved from haveblue.org, since it seems to have died.

Name:  Y3yMqWK.gif
Views: 179
Size:  3.9 KB
    Name:  lYDRI1e.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  13.5 KB
    Name:  xpke34A.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  27.5 KB
    That's great. Cougar20th sent me the same thing, so I think I'm good to attempt something. I just need to find an angle vice first.

That's great. Cougar20th sent me the same thing, so I think I'm good to attempt something. I just need to find an angle vice first.
    Should be, at least close enough. Friend of mine made few rails for me and himself with that as reference.
    It's been tested with rainman's older pump kit on a rail milled with that reference and on a rail that Luke milled to spec (and which it is currently using).

I just need to find an angle vice first.
    Just machine a fixture.