Thread: Strange Micromag?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Strange Micromag?

Hello all, so I have been an Autococker guy since the early 90's when I started playing. Only mags I have owned were stuff I bought and sold in package deals. A while ago I jumped in and bought a custom mag that caught my eye and really liked it but my true love has always been more vintage stuff and love old splash cockers. When I saw this I had to have it, love the splash and love how original it appears to be. Plus when i was a kid my local shop had an FX cocker body kit in the display case i would stop and admire but could never afford so I have a soft spot for PTP stuff.

Anyway anyone know the history to this particular Micro? Guy I bought it from believed it to be a Team Strange marker but had no real info on why. Would there be markings hidden on it anywhere if it was? I absolutely love it either way but always like to know the history of stuff.

So last questions (sorry this is so long) I would like to leave it original as possible and want to use the Micro valve. What's the biggest difference between it and an X valve? I don't care about weight and I actually don't care for the RT effect. Just want reliable. And I have read some of the older Micro bodies would not take a level 10 bolt kit. What exactly prevented it? And how would I know? Is it obvious like it won't fit in the breech or will it be an issue where I will never get it tuned? Like I said I am very new at these and want to dial this in so I will be asking lots if questions. Any advice is appreciated.

nice score, too bad the for grip does not match. the X valve is just an RT made our of more aluminum than any of the others. the Level 10 bolt will not go thru the stainless washer pressed into the body on most micro's with out either sanding down the lip of the bolt(recommended) or opening up the hole in the washer. the washer is to prevent excess wear to the aluminum body by the stainless bolt. the classic valve you have is perfectly reliable just make sure you use 800 psi minimum on all mag valves. I suggest you replace the power feed plug with one of the new ones from AGD.

welcome to the addiction that is Automags.

Bunny is our resident historian and is probably the only one who might be able to confirm if its a team Strange marker or not. the records have large holes in them.

Thank you very much for the info. And am I missing something on the grip? Does not match because of the brand or anno? Anno does match but probably looks off on the pics because of the angle, the black was just not showing. Here is another pic. Or did you mean not matching because it's no a PTP product?

And another noob question. Is this a level 10 bolt kit? Buddy of mine just gave me all his old gear to sell and he gave me a minimag he believed had a lvl 10 installed. I checked the bolt and it fit the Micros breech so I swapped valve setups and it shot great on the Micro.

Hex powertube tip and stem sticking out the back of the bolt - it is indeed a Level 10!

You already have a grasp on the classic ss valve vs. an aluminum X or steel/aluminum ReTro - it's heavier and no Reactive Trigger.

The gen1 fixed-barrel Micromag had no foregrip or even provision for one. The later gens all mounted via the female threads on the angled section below the barrel threads. Your arrangement, besides being a Smart Parts foregrip design, is highly atypical. It looks to be making contact with the frame's trigger guard and the top front edge does not sut flush or align with the body. See below how the PTP foregrip mounts on my gen5.
    Last edited by Walking Stick; 05-08-2018 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Image Link
    >>WTB<< Sydarm w/ constant air__WarpedMephisto half-c/f body__Ac!d c/f trigger__TASO humpback frame__an Oh-Mag

Got it, yes the grip is actually shaved on one edge that lines up with the trigger guard when tightened down. I have just been playing with it so it's not all aligned. And great to hear about the level 10, I will be stealing the level 10 parts off of his and swapping them over. I need to break the entire thing down to learn it and rebuild anyway. I love how it feels in my hands, think I am going to really enjoy using this. And I love the look of yours, amazing setup