Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrid RTP Rails

I'm down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimBobFett View Post
    Hey, were sorta collaborating here so whats your problem? What, you prefer design by committee? You know what that results in, dont you? Do you like driving a Camry? Sometimes its a vision of something different by just one or two that paves the way... thats how you get GT40's.
    Committee? Everything comes froma committee, whether it is 1 person or a 100 people. Even the GT40 had a few people doing the design. Even John Browning designed his guns, yet there were engineers that made the design work in the manufacturing sense.

Youve seen other guns get windowed in more vulnerable areas like the hammer and spring (cockers). A mag isnt going to cry (like you) if it gets shot in the sear, lol. ;p. Its one of those areas you get dirt in anyways and with that big window now you can just hose it out easier.
    Windowing is fine, but when you do things in a senstive area, then you are asking for trouble. That is not anything you want to do because you are inviting trouble. And in 20+ years of paintball, i have never been shot in the sear with a mag. Paint has dripped in or gone up the frame, but have fun. Cry no, i will just laugh at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Apathetic_Chaos View Post
    How long before we can get a mag version of this??

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Not with Luke, he doesn't do compound corners...

So it looks like I only sold 3 of these rails originally and they were most likely made from factory rails.
    I did update the CAD for pump milling (now or later)

Last edited by luke; 08-26-2018 at 01:04 AM.

First off, I think this is awesome. I'll probably pick up an Ultra mini when buying season starts again. Let me throw this idea back in the ring. Combine the rail and frame. Uni-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Patron God of Pirates View Post
    First off, I think this is awesome. I'll probably pick up an Ultra mini when buying season starts again. Let me throw this idea back in the ring. Combine the rail and frame. Uni-frame.
    Were you the guy that approached me years ago with the cad files for these frames with and without the asa's? I'm not looking for files, I just dont remember who it was or who first posed the idea.

These have always been interesting and now I have enough experience that they would be doable. But there's many limiting factors about the design, enough that it may be unattractive to many customers. I highly doubt a T-Rex and LPR would be possible, limiting these to mechanical setups. Pumps may be an issue depending on the design. I don't know if a run could be done in small numbers of 25-30 with all the different challenges in doing a part like this. All that said it's just thinking out loud, besides any of that I'm not sure where I would fit it in with all the projects in the current lineup. Honesty I'm drowning in stuff that needs to get done...

Rails will go up for sale a little later today, I'm working on it now.
    The little 5.9" rails are strictly a limited run, get-em before their gone!
    Loose plans are to take orders for about a week, then knock them out, the wait will be minimal.
    At this point I dont know which rails will be standard stock items, these designs are just to get the project off the ground.
    Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate your support.

We're go for launch gentlemen, visit the Dealer forum or my website for details. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Were you the guy that approached me years ago with the cad files for these frames with and without the asa's? I'm not looking for files, I just dont remember who it was or who first posed the idea.

These have always been interesting and now I have enough experience that they would be doable. But there's many limiting factors about the design, enough that it may be unattractive to many customers. I highly doubt a T-Rex and LPR would be possible, limiting these to mechanical setups. Pumps may be an issue depending on the design. I don't know if a run could be done in small numbers of 25-30 with all the different challenges in doing a part like this. All that said it's just thinking out loud, besides any of that I'm not sure where I would fit it in with all the projects in the current lineup. Honesty I'm drowning in stuff that needs to get done...
    I've brought it up before, but I've never had a CAD for it. Not even my idea. Who was it that put the sear pin inside a cocker hinge frame? It was a truely 'micro' mag.

We're go for launch gentlemen, visit the Dealer forum or my website for details. Thanks.
    I have to wait a week or two before picking one up, car needs new tires this week, but I will definitely order ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Patron God of Pirates View Post
    I've brought it up before, but I've never had a CAD for it. Not even my idea. Who was it that put the sear pin inside a cocker hinge frame? It was a truely 'micro' mag.
    Saw it recently in the "AGD Automag Owners and Discussion B/S/T" Facebook Group:
    Name:  38454433_10156508050747629_691474431687524352_n.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  45.7 KB
    Name:  tinymag.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  78.0 KB
    Rather than combine the rail and body like X-Mags, a Deflator, or an XMT Evo, combine the grip and rail to really shrink things.
    Last edited by JimBobFett; 08-27-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Ultralight Hybrid

The old style was a little narrow at .65" wide and left a little gap on a standard frame between the frame and rail. I widened this to .75" so it will match exact to the grip frame. I was also able to do away with the center bumps that were there for the sear pin.

Don't know if its too late, but with all the other things going on I forgot to revisit this design. Instead of being 'rounded off' at the ends like a 'dogbone', how about something more geometric and squared off at the front and back? I don't know about a full RT slot fore-grip (maybe, maybe not) but I'm thinking something with all 90 degree angles or maybe something in the shape of an "arrow"? Not sure what exact angles would work out best, but something along these lines...? I actually just picked up an original AM "dogbone" last week from Le Capitan Pinky, so looking at something different I guess. If you're at the "I think I've designed enough for now" point, no big deal.
    Name:  ultralight-hybrid_orig (2).jpg
Views: 333
Size:  50.4 KB
    Name:  ultralight-hybrid_orig.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  47.2 KB
    Name:  ultralight-hybrid_orig (1).jpg
Views: 326
Size:  47.0 KB
    Last edited by JimBobFett; 08-27-2018 at 09:28 AM.

In general, inside square or inside 90* cuts aren't doable or adds to many setups to make it viable or attractive to the machinist to want to do it. Any of those designs would need to be done in one setup, so looking from the top view consider the profile is being machined with a round cutter, all those 'inside' square corners will be rounded.

Nothing wrong with the ideas but I don't think they would be viable as as store item, I can machine a custom rail but there would be additional costs involved to do a one-off.

Name:  ultralight-hybrid_orig (2).jpg
Views: 333
Size:  50.4 KB
    I've done one similar to this before, even carried it on my website, only sold two.

I'm not at work so I couldn't whip it up in Inventor/Solidworks, but had an idea... needs to have the inside corners rounded off, maybe outside too. I was thinking maybe the front gets rounded off too somehow or something, but this is the general idea...
    Name:  Rail1.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  27.5 KB
    Name:  Rail3.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  32.1 KB
    Name:  Rail5.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  37.6 KB
    Name:  Rail6.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  13.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  Rail923.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  42.4 KBName:  Rail924.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  33.8 KB
    Moved around some things already to shave weight... added a cross drilled hole in back.

The design as it is could be machined with some small tweaks, but the problem is there's WAY to many set-ups in the design. It would cost too much for me to make on my machine (No 4th axis) But it's a cool design.

This is a Gamma-8, it's 2.2oz and still very sturdy. Do they really need to be lighter than that?

I can do any or all of the designs in post 163 but there would be a small design and programing fee (per design) unless if I could sell a few then I could wave those fee's.

It doesnt really translate in pictures, but I'm diggin it, I wish I had that setip 20 years ago.

Rail weighs 1.3 ounces.

I think the valve support is about right, shouldn't have any problems

It doesnt really translate in pictures, but I'm diggin it, I wish I had that setip 20 years ago.

Rail weighs 1.3 ounces.

I think the valve support is about right, shouldn't have any problems
    Are there electronics in that frame, or just speed holes??

Quote Originally Posted by Apathetic_Chaos View Post
    Are there electronics in that frame, or just speed holes??
    Yes, that's the LcE90.

Yes, that's the LcE90.
    Nice, did you use the Morlock board for it?

UTB board.

Automag sexiness, RTP performance.

Epsilon 8

Teth 8

Gamma 8

I'm going to be breaking down the rail setup on the mill here pretty soon, I have to get back on few personal projects. Several guys were asking about variations of some of the designs, if you want something sooner than later you may want to hit me up asap, I'm not sure when the mill will be free to setup to do rails again.

I still have to do Armada rails, been working on the programing for those today, hopefully I'll finish up this evening. Plus I still need to work on the programing for Nano rail. Probably be looking at early next week to setup a different job. We'll of course be revisiting rails but I'm not sure when, I just need to get some other stuff done.

Yes, that's the LcE90.
    I am not seeing this on your site. Is this an up and coming?

Quote Originally Posted by smilestyler View Post
    I am not seeing this on your site. Is this an up and coming?
    I had to shelve the project because the board manufacture went of of business during the time I was developing the frame. The closest you can get to that frame design right now is the MP90.

Finished up the Armada prototypes.

Armada 8

Armada 9

Armada 8 and 9
    Last edited by luke; 09-02-2018 at 07:02 PM.