Thread: Diagram dump

Diagram dump

How to plumb a Fabco MSV-2 and a Clippard PAVO-3 to make a 4/5-way valve (to control a double-acting cylinder):
    Name:  FabcoMSV2ClippardPAVO3.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  42.9 KB
    Yes, someone asked how to do this so I wanted to post it for all to see. Haven't had time to whip it up in CAD and make it all purdy, but there it is!

maybe im missing the intention of the PAVO but how are you going to get that to fit like the the MPA-3 does? its too wide.
    for the MPA-3 i mill the sides down to that it fits for installs.

EDIT* never mind i see whats happening now.
    still is the PAVO acting as the ram?

http://www.clippard.com/static/image...051f9d-900.jpg

This isn't needed for the MPA-3 since it is a single-acting (air advance, spring return style) cylinder. This is for running rams/cylinders that have an air port for advancing and returning. Actually, in the above diagram, I have the cylinder reversed to that it will retract when the trigger is pulled and activates the MSV-2. Oops! Most people will want to plumb that cylinder in reverse! My bad! Lets pretend that I drew that diagram with the ports flipped for this explaination:

The PAVO-3 isn't quite as slim as the Fabco MSV-2 at 5/8" wide, but it gets mounted down in the frame. Some people have been using the Clippard SMAV-3 instead of the Fabco MSV-2. The PAVO-3 is an air actuated version of the similar MAVO-3. The problem for pneumatic assist builds that some markers use cylinders with a ports for advance and return (no spring), and a Fabco MSV-2 won't work for this. There are no similar small 4-way valves though. You could add a spring onto an autococker '3-way' valve (its called a 3-way but its really a 4/5-way), but I've been seeing builds where people end up using much larger MAV-4:

http://www.clippard.com/part/MAV-4

This also doesn't have the light pull of the MSV-2.

Okay, so keep the MSV-2, add on the PAVO-3 and actuate it from the MSV-2's output. When the normally closed MSV-2 is 'off' it vents its output to the cylinder AND the pilot for the PAVO-3. The PAVO-3 is an N.O. valve though so it turns its output on to retract the cylinder while the Fabco is 'off'. When the MSV-2 is turned 'on' (trigger gets pulled), then its output sends air to extend the cylinder but also to the pilot actuator on the PAVO-3, causing it to turn 'off' and vent the air on the 'retract' side of the cylinder.

Yeah, this isn't needed for rams like the MPA-3.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBobFett View Post
    http://www.clippard.com/static/image...051f9d-900.jpg

This isn't needed for the MPA-3 since it is a single-acting (air advance, spring return style) cylinder. This is for running rams/cylinders that have an air port for advancing and returning. Actually, in the above diagram, I have the cylinder reversed to that it will retract when the trigger is pulled and activates the MSV-2. Oops! Most people will want to plumb that cylinder in reverse! My bad! Lets pretend that I drew that diagram with the ports flipped for this explaination:

The PAVO-3 isn't quite as slim as the Fabco MSV-2 at 5/8" wide, but it gets mounted down in the frame. Some people have been using the Clippard SMAV-3 instead of the Fabco MSV-2. The PAVO-3 is an air actuated version of the similar MAVO-3. The problem for pneumatic assist builds that some markers use cylinders with a ports for advance and return (no spring), and a Fabco MSV-2 won't work for this. There are no similar small 4-way valves though. You could add a spring onto an autococker '3-way' valve (its called a 3-way but its really a 4/5-way), but I've been seeing builds where people end up using much larger MAV-4:

http://www.clippard.com/part/MAV-4

This also doesn't have the light pull of the MSV-2.

Okay, so keep the MSV-2, add on the PAVO-3 and actuate it from the MSV-2's output. When the normally closed MSV-2 is 'off' it vents its output to the cylinder AND the pilot for the PAVO-3. The PAVO-3 is an N.O. valve though so it turns its output on to retract the cylinder while the Fabco is 'off'. When the MSV-2 is turned 'on' (trigger gets pulled), then its output sends air to extend the cylinder but also to the pilot actuator on the PAVO-3, causing it to turn 'off' and vent the air on the 'retract' side of the cylinder.

Yeah, this isn't needed for rams like the MPA-3.
    Ok cool. it would be cool to see you set one up, ooh and shooting video would be cool.
    proof of concept and and spacial consumption of a frame.