Thread: RPG Triton Grip Panels

RPG Triton Grip Panels

Wondering if there is interest in aluminum grip panels for the RPG Triton frames? I've been on the hunt to either buy or have some made. Only found one pair and it isn't quiet what I'm looking for and haven't been able to find a shop that can do it.

I have now found a shop that can make me some and I'm putting it out there for others. I'm looking to have the panels made almost identical to the smoke acrylic panels that we're stock on the frames but with a diamond texture similar to CCM panels.

Looking for at least 9 other people who would be interested. This isn't limited to only 10 but I'd need 10 total in order for the shop to be willing to do it. Cost would be around $40-50 shipped. This isn't a pre-order, just looking for interest. I won't collect money until they have been made.

1. WholemealDrop
    2. Taco303
    Last edited by WholemealDrop; 11-19-2018 at 12:00 AM.
    I made the mistake of trading for a mag...now I'm trapped
    Cocker, Automag, and Misc Parts FS

I'm in for a pair. Are they going to be the shape of the stock triton grips( super narrow)? Or will they go to the edge of the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Taco303 View Post
    I'm in for a pair. Are they going to be the shape of the stock triton grips( super narrow)? Or will they go to the edge of the frame?
    What do you mean by narrow vs edge of the frame? They cover as much as any panels I guess.

a pic of your concept would be helpful

Working on that. Not that great at CAD modeling or Photoshop.

Do you think they're worth the $50 dollar price? I'm genuinely asking. If people think they are, I'm going to consider joining the order. I'm new to the hobby so I can't really tell what's worth what at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruston View Post
    Do you think they're worth the $50 dollar price? I'm genuinely asking. If people think they are, I'm going to consider joining the order. I'm new to the hobby so I can't really tell what's worth what at this point.
    To make a single set the shop wants $150-200, so the more I get them to make the cheaper it will be. And to put that $50 price in perspective, Luke's customs charges $50-60 for his panels.

Quote Originally Posted by WholemealDrop View Post
    And to put that $50 price in perspective, Luke's customs charges $50-60 for his panels.
    Are you comparing apples to apples?

My panels are 3d machined front and back which increases machine time drastically and by 3d ULE milling them it removes the max amount of weight. The shops I see charging $50 plus per set are just making flat panels with rounded edges and no ULE milling. The way I make panels have very low margins and are very time consuming to make.

Does that devalue yours? Probably not. The value as I see it is the panels don't exist today but for a small cost they can, there in lies the value.

Wasn't there a machinist on facebook making one-off aluminum panels in the $50 price range? Might be easier than filling a pre-order.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Are you comparing apples to apples?

My panels are 3d machined front and back which increases machine time drastically and by 3d ULE milling them it removes the max amount of weight. The shops I see charging $50 plus per set are just making flat panels with rounded edges and no ULE milling. The way I make panels have very low margins and are very time consuming to make.

Does that devalue yours? Probably not. The value as I see it is the panels don't exist today but for a small cost they can, there in lies the value.
    Just throwing out a number from a shop that has a standing stock of custom made grips, not talking about better. Even with the extra work you do, they will still be cheaper because you make them en masse as a standing product and as you said, you have a very small margin on them so they are even cheaper. If you only made them one at a time to order, they would be magnitudes more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Wasn't there a machinist on facebook making one-off aluminum panels in the $50 price range? Might be easier than filling a pre-order.
    Every paintball machinist I've gotten in contact with either can't make grips yet, only makes custom designs on 45 blanks, or like you, it isn't worth it for a one off piece. I don't mean that as a dig because I get it. In order to make it worth while for you, it would cost more than I'm willing to spend. If I can't get 10 people in on this I'll bite the bullet and pay the $100+ to get a single set made.

Here is an idea, how about some printed grip panels? Sure, not aluminium and can't be anno'd to match, but low production numbers are not a problem. They will be match to fit, so no need to modify stock, create new jigs or anything like that. I believe that after a few test pieces to get fit and material match, that these can be made in a variety of colours(but that is a guess) but will be quicker and easier in the long run. This is where i see 3D printing comes to the top versus these low production umbers or where you have odd pieces that use proprietary screw patterns. Just a thought...

Considered it as an option but not a fan of the feel. If I'm going to go that low tech I'd stick with the acrylic panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Here is an idea, how about some printed grip panels? Sure, not aluminium and can't be anno'd to match, but low production numbers are not a problem. They will be match to fit, so no need to modify stock, create new jigs or anything like that. I believe that after a few test pieces to get fit and material match, that these can be made in a variety of colours(but that is a guess) but will be quicker and easier in the long run. This is where i see 3D printing comes to the top versus these low production umbers or where you have odd pieces that use proprietary screw patterns. Just a thought...
    that would be neat.