Thread: Minimag with Loose Barrel issue

Minimag with Loose Barrel issue

Hello,

I’ve got a Minimag that’s been sitting up for about 15 years and I going to try and get her going again.
    Waiting on some parts to come in but I have a fairly serious concern regarding the twistlock barrel.

I have a modded RT barrel and a SmartParts stainless beauty barrel and neither seem to want to stay locked. The barrel detent appears fine but after maybe 10 shots the barrel rotates and the power feed doesn’t align with the barrel anymore. Paint quits feeding!!!

First thing I came up with is that the barrel detent pin isn’t strong enough to maintain the barrel in the locked position.

Open for suggestions!!!

Thanks

Try replacing the two barrel o-rings that hold the detent in.

you can also put a barrel-size oring down the breech before putting you barrel in.
    we do this a lot when using Doc's adapters to prevent wiggle and tighten everything up. It works well with looser TL barrels too.

If the gun has been sitting around for a while, it is possible that the orings on the barrel are weak. That could cause the barrel to compress towards the opposite side of the body from the twist lock assembly.

Most likely it is due to the dimple where the twist lock assembly sits in the barrel being too shallow. The twist lock pin easily slips out of the dimple when this happens. If this is the case, you can take a drill bit and make the dimple a bit deeper. You only have to drill enough to allow the tip of the bit to start cutting without actually going deep enough to allow the sides of the bit to enter the new cut. The resulting dimple would allow more of the twist lock pin to sit in the barrel dimple and would prevent the barrel from twisting without applying force.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.