Thread: FS: Upgraded Automag 68 Classic

FS: Upgraded Automag 68 Classic

AGD 68 Automag Classic. Matching serial numbers on the valve. Chrome Dye Grip, missing on/off pin. Chrome foregrip. Stock mini barrel. Chromed out & polished body.

I love my Automag, but I just don't see myself getting back out there after a 15 year hiatus. Was my first real gun after the Alley Cat. Lots of modifications. There are some dings & scratches, but overall it looks very good (see pics). It's been stored away for 10+ years - haven't played with it since high school and I'm now in my thirties. Condition is used. I have not had an opportunity to test this marker fully. It may need to have some seals and/or o-rings replaced, and a general tune-up.

Wanted to give you guys a look before I post to the bay.
    Asking $195, OBO. $15 shipping to Continental US.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  104.6 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1594
Size:  109.2 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  83.2 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  110.0 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  101.7 KB
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  104.4 KB

Thanks,
    Brett

Very nice gun ya got there brett and good luck with the sale, but I must admit I hate to hear you not playing anymore. I'm in my mid forties and honestly my mags are what got me back into playing after a10 year absence. Shooting people with these old guns is what brings it all back. Especially the young guns, they're like " what the hell is that"!!! Anywho GLWS or...........

Hey, thanks Magoman. When I was in high school I worked at the local movie theater and a lot of those paychecks went toward buying and upgrading my 'mag. I was obsessed. My dad accidentally disposed of my sweet barrel collection and hpa tank when he sold our house, but he knew to save the 'mag. After taking it down from my attic and cleaning it off I definitely felt conflicted about selling it. I still do...but in order for me to use it again I'd have to buy a new tank, hopper, mask, equipment, etc. Plus the cost of a tune-up. It's an expensive sport, and I don't have the money. It's been interesting to check back in on the sport after 20 years - seems like it's taken a hit. I'm surprised to see Mags and Cockers have been phased out (Tippman's still around tho). Makes our 'mags feel a little more valuable. How did you end up getting back into paintball after the decade absence? And how does your 'mag hold up against the new guns?

I too was contemplating 3 or 4 years ago to get rid of everything , gloss black sto cocker with chrome eclipse frame , ptp micromag ( purple and black anodizing) and countless other old outdated crap. Or so I thought. Happen to come across this website and custom cockers and literally end of story. History repeats itself mags are coming back . Just look at xmagterrors preorder thread. OMG so many bodies to make!! And not to mention countless other manufacturers who have been around since this forum started ( Luke, xmt, knownothingmags, tuna, etc.). I wonder if the man himself looks at what is still being made for these things today is amazed that's were still here. I know it all sounds kinda of sappy but you gotta understand in the 80's and 90's this was literally my world. And now because of this forum, I'm still a little kid running around playing "war". As for keeping up with the "new" guns? Well I'm frequently picked first to be on walkon teams because "dude did you see that gun of his in that last game". Absolutely no problem at all keeping up with the "new guns".
    Trust me go rent a tank, mask and one bag of balls. Look I get what you're saying. It ain't cheap and a bit of a nuisance if you can't work on them yourself. I just hate seeing guys get rid of they're stuff because they think it's not worth it anymore.

I hear you. The fact there's still a community of people building and using Automags is incredible. When I left paintball 18-19 years ago, AGD was at the top of the game -- I remember being wowed by ads for the soon to be released EMag. I don't know what happened since. However, it's good to hear your optimism, and that you can still keep up with the modern game. We'll see what happens with the sale, perhaps I'll reconsider if no one buys. Do you have any idea what it might cost me to get her back up and running?

Go to either airgun designs or tunamart for your oring kit. They're usually around $25-30.00. My guess is that if it was keep in the attic your orings are probably toast.

Cool

I too am back from a ~15yr hiatus. I came back into the game fresh and nostalgic. Here are a few quick takeaways.

I sold all my markers way back then, and I wish I hadn't. Particularly my rare automags. Now they're impossible to find.

The industry dove headfirst into the spool valve tech that we were starting to see when we left. They've pretty much perfected the design. Spool valve markers are fun to shoot, quiet, lightweight, efficient, and fast. There's a massive supply of these markers that are being pumped out on a yearly basis, so the used market is flooded with cheap high-end electros. I picked one up (SP Shocker RSX) and have really enjoyed playing with it.

There are fewer active players than before. A lot fewer. That said, I've still managed to find plenty of people to play with at weekend recball games. I also was among 5000 players at last year's ION game.

There's a bps cap on most games now, and at many fields, there are mech-only days. That bps cap has largely driven a mech boom. Autocockers are VERY popular right now. There's a huge autococker market and new autocockers being produced by Freeflow, Inception Designs, and Empire. Automags are slower to catch hold on the mech wave, but there's a lot of institutional investment this year and that's a good sign for things to come. (Look at Luke's Customs products, XMT's new bodies, and KAM's frames). XMT just secured pre-orders for 150 new automag bodies, which means there's at least 150 new automag builds starting shortly!

I've seen a trend of more and more people returning to paintball "after a 10-15yr hiatus." It's a generational thing. We played as kids. Many left after high school. Now that we have an income, we're poking our toes back into the sport that brought us so much joy.

Forums have sadly become inactive and are a poor indicator of paintball activity. Paintball discussions have largely shifted to facebook. :/

If I can nudge a little, getting your mag back up and running could be very reasonable. Parts kit can be found from AGD directly for ~$25. New tanks are still in the $120-220 range, but masks and hoppers are pretty cheap now. I picked up a spare Prophecy Z2 hopper for ~$50, and it's better than my old Halo. Your mag is more than equipped to compete in the game. Speedball may be a different story, but our mech mags were never really that much competition in speedball for electros.

Magoman & Xyxyll,

Thanks for taking some time to catch me up, I do appreciate it. It's valuable insight you provide on the state of affairs. I remember being jealous of electronic markers because of the insane firing rate, and how, at the time, they seemed to dominate mechanical markers. Even though I was biased toward Automags (partially because I invested so much into mine), I always felt like my classic was somehow a little slow and slightly underperforming. I would never give it up, but I remember seeing faster Autocockers, Angels, etc, and being impressed by them. I've since seen videos of ridiculously fast mags, but mine seemed just a bit quicker than my Alley Cat. If I got back into the game, I would want to upgrade to a Lvl10 valve, and maybe an Intelliframe - I would want a really fast mag. If I stepped onto the field now, I feel like those Shockers would light me up. Anyway, I love that you guys got back into the game....it's very tempting. I can't tell if you're the angel or the devil on my shoulder...

-B

Well, my angel is a dark angel.

Nice gun. That Dye Frame looks in awesome condition. Chrome plated items are hard to find in good shape.
    GLWS!
    AGD is in the house!
    Custom gun builds. All the parts. New Website. Factory Service available!
    www.airgundesigns.com

Hey, thanks Sandman.

You guys aren’t making this easy.