Thread: rules for expired tanks are dumb...PSYCHE!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

rules for expired tanks are dumb...PSYCHE!

EDIT: This thread is satire. Please read the whole thing before responding.

Well, looks like I should retire another tank. I've retired two already at the end of their 15 year lifespan, which I wasn't happy about, since they still looked/worked fine, but I bought those ones used, and I really didn't know what had happened to them before I bought them, so I was comfortable letting them go.

My last tank, though? My beautiful MacDev 68/4500? I bought it new in 2006. No one has ever used it except me. I've never dropped it. It's always been in a cover. A nice, thick cover. It's been my primary tank for as long as I've been playing seriously.

And yeah, I know. 15 year rule and all that. But I don't really think those rules were written for people like me. When those bozos (whoever they were) first came up with rules about paintball tanks, they probably had to err on the side of caution. A really zealot might play paintball for six hours a day on half the Saturdays out of the year. They might ask their tanks to make hundreds of thousands of shots during it's lifespan.

But me? I play 4-6 times a year, and on those days I only play for 2 hours. I usually shoot less than 500 shots. My MacDev tank has probably only done about 50,000 shots in its whole life. That's like 100 times less than the "worst case" scenario.

I just really don't want to spend another $150 right now. Seems dumb to me.
    Last edited by rawbutter; 10-06-2021 at 08:05 AM.

Those rules are for protecting the field doing the filling.
    What you do with your own property is up to you, as is any liability.
    That's why I have my own fill stations (Co2 & HPA).
    How I drain the tanks is not the fields responsibility. One shot at a time releases them from liability.
    CT Co-ordinator, Paintball Marshals

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrate Jim View Post
    Those rules are for protecting the field doing the filling.
    What you do with your own property is up to you, as is any liability.
    That's why I have my own fill stations (Co2 & HPA).
    How I drain the tanks is not the fields responsibility. One shot at a time releases them from liability.
    Protection? From what? It's not like paintball tanks explode all the time. And besides, everyone knows about the risks. That's just part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
    Protection? From what? It's not like paintball tanks explode all the time. And besides, everyone knows about the risks. That's just part of the game.
    But they DO explode...I've seen it happen and you dont want to be there when it does.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    But they DO explode...I've seen it happen and you dont want to be there when it does.
    It's never happened to me. It's never happened to anyone I know. It sucks that you had to see it, but I don't see why it happening to you means that I have to buy a new tank.

I mean, really. How many people play paintball every year? A million? Three million? And how many tanks explode every year? One? Ten? Even if a thousand tanks explode every year, that's like....less than 1/10 of a percent. Why make such an expensive rule over something so rare?

Itīs a simple rule for your own and everybody else safety around you an your tank.

A tank will cost you 250-300$ (with 2xhydro testing) in itīs 15y lifetime --> It may be super rare to happen, but why take the risk for like ~ 20$ per year.