Thread: How much grease in the spring pack on X Valve?

How much grease in the spring pack on X Valve?

Ok so stupid question. I ended up rebuilding my old X valve (and glad I did since many of the seals were garbage). Did a full cleaning of everything as well but I am not sure how much grease really should be in the back spring pack? I put a decent coating but is it really supposed to be more so packed? When I cleaned it out there was a good amount but after 18 years of life and storage it was hard to tell how much of that was actually grease and how much was dirt/grime that had made its way in.

I guess one really cannot over grease it since there isn't any air flowing through it right?

Thanks

Grease is only to inhibit rust, no need to over do it.

Thanks! Wasn’t sure if there was a whole lot of movement in that spring pack or not (while I have a basic understanding of regulators, their actual movement still kinda boggles my mind despite being mechanically inclined haha).

The movement is pretty minimal in a regulator, just coat up the steel spring pack parts as Luke said for corrosion resistance. Surprisingly sometimes HPA can have significant moisture content so we just want all the steel parts to be thoroughly coated.

Yeah I live far enough south and have worked with industrial compressed air (150psi supplying equipment, and worked at a field back in the 00s. Kinda stupid how much water really comes out of the air. Hell even with my AC running during the summer my 50 pint dehumidifier runs constantly and can t keep my condo under 50% RH. Quick back of the napkin math tells me there’s i probably well over a fluid ounce of water in the amount of air in a 68ci tank (at least before it’s “dried”) but I know that the compressors still dont get all the moisture out by a long shot.