Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who Was Fred Schultz? Remembering Great Players from the Past

FYI:

Mare Island paintball has been out of business for a few years now.

Beemer,

You're not serious? You know who this is. The pictures you have posted came from my stash.

You want to get a reunion going, try to get the old AGD crew together - John Dale (former president of AGD) and people like Howdy Bolt (Jim McGuffog), Sparky, Wayne, etc.

Someone back a few pages asked about Jessica Sparks. She is still around. In fact I think she is still involved with APG Magazine's parent company. As a lawyer, she fought a lot of battles and testified as an expert witness for paintball in courts across the country. She can play, too!!!

Oh yeah, I missed one in the photo with the tights. The guy named Jim that someone was trying to remember the last name of is Jim Anderson. To save people going back and forth here are those folks in the picture: Dan Colby (Air America), Jim Anderson (NPPL), Todd Nessle (Vents Goggles), Rene Boucher (Paintball News), Tom Kaye (AGD back), Tim Schloss (Tiger Stripe) and Bill Gardner (Smart Parts).

And I did know Mare Island went out of the business, some time ago. By the way, Fred did a show "Real World" (I think) for MTV at Mare Island about 5 or 6 years ago, too.
    IADSPBP

I remember scrimaging with CP out at Mare island and at Bob's. Fred always had a smile on his face and always looked like he was truly having fun. He was, and probably still is, one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Always had something complimentary to say about your game. I played this weekend with Rick Wilcox (Dogs of War- Sacramento) and he had an old CP patch (red, blue, skull, lightning bolts) attached to the side of his gogs. Brought back memories...good ones. Fred would be good for the game again, especially with all of the youngsters coming up that need a good role model in the sport.

Of Course

You're not serious? You know who this is
    I know but I dont think any one else does. We are the last of the old School guys, a dying breed

I have a Air Arm Fred Shultz tank... its way lighter than the new ones... works great.

That is so cool..........

I worked at MGM and now repair their landscaping equipment and never knew they netted it off and played paintball on New York Ave.That's cool! I have went through that area many a time.I still see that cab everyday and it looks a whole lot worse than that now.That area is changing a lot as they now have a huge stadium there that is for the new stunt show going in.They are also adding the San Fran. skyline and one other but I am not sure at the moment what it is.I wish they would do that again.That would be awesome playing in the stunt show city area.As for fred,I remember him.Never met him but read a lot of good things about him.He was a positive Icon on the sport.Can I get in on another game if you ever have one in the "streets? Please Tom..............
    TAC-ONE Camomag,Retro Valve w/LVL-10,milled RT-Pro rail,E-mag battery pack,KAPP stubby dropzone,CP on/off, 16" Stiffi and it's bewy,bewy qwiet

Richie's feedback

Smile I remember Fred!

Fred was the ORIGINAL and BEST Ambassador Paintball ever had. (Evidenced by the game at Disney's Main Street... Wasn't that 92-93?) I met Fred prior to the Dallas Open in 93. He was there for the tourny, and the team I was on, Texas Storm, invited him to dinner. He is a great guy, exceptionally friendly, and easy to converse with. His hair was longer than mine at the time and he kept it in a braided ponytail that went far down his back. ( And this was YEARS before Lasoya!)

The Tuxedo's were part of the MUFF's party wardrobe, and I have quite afew pictures of AGD, Fred, Bud Orr and Ross Alexander, all in the Tuxedos. But no one cut the form that Mr. Schultz did in those Tuxedos.

Someone mentioned, Fred's apparent uncoordinated playing style... Well he Captained Constant Pursuit to quite a Professional record back during the 15 man days, then continued on into 10 man, before turning to a more overall spokesman for the entire sport. So I think that would excuse an apparent lack, to some people, of coordination. Fred was just more interested in promoting Paintball, than stylin on the field.

HERE'S TO YA FRED.... IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE EFFORTS OF YOU, AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU, THIS SPORT WOULD HAVE DIED OUT LONG AGO. THANKS

Speaking of falling off the earth Tom, Has anyone heard from Ross Alexander? I haven't spoken to him since the midnight raid of Line SI.
    Last edited by Silverback; 07-16-2004 at 05:18 AM.

I wish we could get Fred to come out to something like Shatnerball or the IAO for him to see that there are a lot of people out there that grew up reading about his exploits and that really respect all that he did for paintball. I'd personally love to shake his hand and buy him a beer. My first few years in paintball were spent with the days in between playing reading cover to cover magazines with articles by and about the man (and CP) and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer
    I know but I dont think any one else does. We are the last of the old School guys, a dying breed
    I'm an old school guy, and I don't know who he is. Help an old guy out. The memory isn't what it use to be...

Hey Hitech your starting to sound like me! - AGD
    Hitech is the man.... - Blennidae
    The only Hitech Lubricant

Just another SOBer

I'm an old school guy, and I don't know who he is. Help an old guy out. The memory isn't what it use to be...
    He would be the Biffster [Biff] original SOB like me.

So where is Fred. Called and left a very nice message on his daughters machine. Sent a e-mail and nothing.

I should know you to Hitech I just cant place it. I call it the beer effect. Now tell me you dont remember the SOBs. Didnt CP kick our butt?

I.A.D.S.P.B.P.
    Beemer

Yes, SOBs sound familiar, but I am TERRIBLE with names. That is what my paintball partner was for. I played with CP in the late 80's and early 90's. I am best remembered as the crazy guy with the red shoes buddy.

Here's a few pics of Fred from the 1994 Las Vegas NPPL.

We need to find him and see what's happening.
    Red/black faded Emag...serial # Brad Nestle (really it is)
    Matching faded Warp Feed
    4500/68 ci Flatline
    Mag CF11472 soon to be a stock feed mag pump. The serial number is also my birthday, 1.14.72.
    I love my job!

Brad "Q" Nestle
    Airgun Designs Tournament Tech
    Paintball Maxx
    Houston, Tx

Ron Fieldhack, Rest in peace my friend.

Jack and Coke video picture

I have that video and watch it to this day. Brings back memories of fun times. I still loan it out to people who have never played paintball and want to try it out. A big thanks goes out to Fred from me for instilling the passion that I have for the game in me, even though I never met him.

CPPA Member #1875

Im selling my Fred Shulta signature series Air Arm is anyone is interested... if this voids some odd rule please dont hesitate to delete.

https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...52#post1556452

I think I know where he is ....

Hey ... I played with him at Sam's during the Big Game 2 last year ...
    AO-IL

Ash:
    "Alright you Primative Screwheads, listen up .... See this?? This is my BOOMSTICK!!!!"

"Well hello Mister Fancy Pants. I've got news for you pal, you ain't leading but two things right now: Jack and **** ... Jack left town."

ATC Paintball Factory Team Member.
    www.atcpaintball.com

I played with Fred Schultz on Constant Pursuit. That was back when I lived in Vallejo. Great guy Fred was. Are there any other Constant Pursuit players around here?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
    I played with Fred Schultz on Constant Pursuit. That was back when I lived in Vallejo. Great guy Fred was. Are there any other Constant Pursuit players around here?
    Yup. I played on CP from about 88 to 91, or so. When where you around.

Quote Originally Posted by hitech
    Yup. I played on CP from about 88 to 91, or so. When where you around.

I was around at about the same time. I was picked up when Fred started the second team, just before the Bay City Open. My name is Scott. I hung out with Kiko (Keith) and Mitch and Dunn. Don't know if you remember them.

i used to play with kikko, billy payne, dan ringer and shawn. we used to scrim against cp, the ironmen and tour de force

The PB Sams games were always a lot of fun when Fred was there, even if he did shoot me a time or two....

However, Fred wasn't the only one seen in the camo Tux.
    Hollywood made an appearance at the Holy Grail Viper game two weeks ago.

Is that a ditch behind me?

I'm old... I'm slow...
    And I can't see very well...
    Is this gun I borrowed any good?

{heh heh heh}

Shives Guest

I thought Hollywood had retired...

Last time I saw him, more than a few years ago, he said he was retiring. I assumed he was heading down to Florida, where in his words...

"Old people don't live in Florida, their parents do."

Shives

Hi Shives:

Yep, Hollywood's retired. He just does what he wants to now. I think he came over with Wayne Dollack for this game.

The "gate keeper" {Wayne} enjoyed asking players " How long was the first 24 hour game?"

I miss the old days.

There should be an event for Old schoolers vs. new.

What should the cut off be for years of experience?

For the really old guys like Tom, Fred, Glen, and Bud we could get them electric golf carts or those scooters I see on TV.

Land of the silent mag majority Spokane Washington.
    I only met Fred once. Totally blew my socks off with how nice he was, I was having trouble getting geared up between games at a tourney. I felt someone start straightening out my pack (it was all twisted) , I turned around & it was Fred!!!! I stood there pretty much in shock, at that point he was all over paintball. The real Ambassador of Paintball. He was all over the place. We spoke for a couple minutes. Seemed like a very sincere person. We had just been sponsored by AGD a few months prior. We were proudly flying the AGD banner in our area along with General Joe's & Scott's. Jessica is rumored to be playing in the stock class event at D-day. There are many of the old teams that I wish were still in the mix. The peps from dogs of war etc.
    AGD CCI

Talking about "old school" and "old guys"..........

For years, I've advocated the use of "golf carts". Golfers have caddies, why can't paintballers have "ball boys".

You know... someone to drive the cart, keep the pods filled, have the various guns gassed up and ready to go, be prepared to repair any gun that went down during a game, and keep the gatoraid cold. He could stay a respectfull distance away from you while you're playing and be ready to change out guns, give you more paint, or just tote you back to the staging area when you get hit. At the staging area, he could clean your goggles and gun, get you fresh jerseys or camos {depending on your preferences}, get your hot dogs and root beer, and keep you informed about when the next game/insertion is happening.

That would be worth a $20 tip, wouldn't it?
    Last edited by Mike Smith; 03-09-2005 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Forgot reference to "old guys"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Smith

yes...yes it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
    I was around at about the same time. I was picked up when Fred started the second team, just before the Bay City Open. My name is Scott. I hung out with Kiko (Keith) and Mitch and Dunn. Don't know if you remember them.

Hey, I still have that jacket! I'm trying to remember who you are, the name sounds familiar. I remember what Keith looked like (what was that Kiko stuff anyway? Always sounded odd to me.).

As for me, you'd probably remember by "swim buddy" better. He was the lunitic who wore the red cleats. Crazy John. I was the guy who's job it was to keep him in the game.

You know... someone to keep the pods filled, have the various guns gassed up and ready to go, be prepared to repair any gun that went down during a game, and keep the gatoraid cold.
    That's what girl friends are for. Even better is when it's someone else's girl friend.

Talking about "old school" and "old guys"..........

For years, I've advocated the use of "golf carts". Golfers have caddies, why can't paintballers have "ball boys".

You know... someone to drive the cart, keep the pods filled, have the various guns gassed up and ready to go, be prepared to repair any gun that went down during a game, and keep the gatoraid cold. He could stay a respectfull distance away from you while you're playing and be ready to change out guns, give you more paint, or just tote you back to the staging area when you get hit. At the staging area, he could clean your goggles and gun, get you fresh jerseys or camos {depending on your preferences}, get your hot dogs and root beer, and keep you informed about when the next game/insertion is happening.

"ball boys" would be a really bad P.I. term nowadays!

I've had this discussion with Tyger, Kennedy, and Shives so I think that was around when you first came up to Sam's. We were making fun of Shives collection so he would explain that each marker had it's place depending on the situation and style of play needed. Sort of like a paintball golf caddy. The older markers had a lot of variation in accuracy and ROF. The Armson barrel came in handy when you needed a trick shot and so on.
    Forest Gump of paintball

I've had this discussion with Tyger, Kennedy, and Shives so I think that was around when you first came up to Sam's.
    Are you sure about that? I remember in 97 or 98 {back when I was still smoking} thinking about golf carts to get me to the white base at PB Sams. That was a long walk for a 240# smoker....

I do remember the idea came from my Sams experiences, so it is possible that y'all talked about it and I refined it...

I have yet to come up with a better term for ball caddies or ball boys, but I haven't put much thought into it. I can still get around OK for the next 10 years, so I have some time....