Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who Was Fred Schultz? Remembering Great Players from the Past

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who Was Fred Schultz? Remembering Great Players from the Past

Quote Originally Posted by shives007
    Biff,

Curtesy of "Mr. Tiger Stripe", I have a slightly different address for Freddie. Are you trying to call him? I think Tim talks to him occasionally.

Shives
    Hey Shives,

I was just out in that area - Manhattan Beach, L.A., San Clemente, San Diego and Coronado, after Mexico, Tucson and Phoenix. Got back Tuesday after 6 weeks of partying with a lot of old friends in a lot of places. I wish Tim would let the rest of the world know something about Fred. I stopped trying to find him, several years ago. The address I have was good back then. I suppose if I had tried to mail something and he had moved less than a year prior, I might have got a forwarding address from the post office.

Freddy knew how to take care of you. The tv incident that TK was talking about was July 4th weekend of 1994 and Fred's partner used to work with Disney. They flew about 20 of us out there and put us all up in private cabins on the lake at the Marriott. We had back stage passes to everywhere on the Disney lot and great seats for the fireworks that evening.

Then they closed New York Street to public access, moved a bunch of buses and cars from old movies out there. The teams wore bright colored uniforns and the judges wore the first black & white stripes in paintball. Tom's team played against Fred's team and some of us judged. ESPN 2 had the highest ratings for a weekend and suddenly paintball was on the map. There was so much potential for the game to become a sport back then.

But, the big fish in paintball wanted to stay big and kept paintball isolated and profitable for themselves. And today, the players still pay to play and, by design, big outside sponsors like Bud, Coke or the airlines, etc., get only minimal representation.

Greed killed this sport from ever reaching it's potential and so, by the late 90's you saw most of the old guard hang up their markers and migrate away, while the leaches and parasites stayed in the sport to suck the players dry. Tom sold AGD, Freddy disappeared from the face of the planet, Dave sold ViewLoader, Rose left Unique, Marty got squeezed out of Scott, Vents is gone because they put Scott and JT to shame, Budd walked away from WORR Games Products. Of course, there are good people still in it, today, like Tim, Glen Palmer, Rick at Morgan Awards, the guys at Paintball Mania Supplies, Dale Hilton, Dennis Ashley and others. I think Joe West may still be at J&J. But, paintball is over-run with users and cheaters who never saw the potential or who were afraid to take it to the next level. A selfish generation of takers, took over and everyone loses. If tv had taken off and spectators had been encouraged to come in, the big boys would have followed with money for everyone to advance and profit.

Ahh, but once again, I digress. Give me an email address and I will send you what I got. I am still at GTOUSPL@aol.com

Biff
    Last edited by Old S.O.B.; 06-24-2008 at 08:43 AM.
    IADSPBP

right on!
    i guess the old link...is old

SS Tank

Hey guys,

I just put my Fred tank up for sale in the Air section:

https://automags.org/forums/showthrea...37#post2597337

I just wanted to post a heads up here if anyone has been looking for one.

Thanks,
    Scott

I'd thought perhaps I'd gotten a line on Fred. The Fred Schultz in question even looks quite a bit like our Fred might these days, but an e-mail to him shot down the hope. So, for anyone looking for our Fred, the Fred Schultz connected with Priority Kids charity organization is NOT our guy.
    Ben Kohnen, Limited Pump Paintball
    www.geocities.com/limitedpump

Who is Fred Schultz

On my Facebook page, I have several photos of Fred, from articles that either I wrote or that he wrote for a variety of paintball newspapers and magazines in the early 90s. There is a history of the creation of the NPPL, GTO and the USPL - all the product of my partner, Steve Davidson's labor and talent. You can find all of this in one of my 9 photo albums - the album titled: Paintball. There is also a short video from PaintFest 2000. But, that is not related to Fred Schultz, although Steve is interviewed. That video, by the way, was the one produced by Adrenaline TV and aired on TV over Thanksgiving weekend, 2000.

Biff Thiele

Well, I did not find Fred, but I found these in the basement:

found this:
    http://68caliber.com/2010/04/06/how-...-player-cards/
    but then again it doesnt do him justice.

google is amazing try it some time.

look at all the mags

I see all of these posts but does anyone know why he did leave Paintball? I'm just curious.

Are these actual barrels, or the slip on tubes I think J&J made?

Shives

Quote Originally Posted by RST
    Well, I did not find Fred, but I found these in the basement:

These are the slip on tubes.
    Sadly I did not have no more barrels that are long enough and fit these.

How long are they? I might be tempted.

Shives

Quote Originally Posted by RST
    These are the slip on tubes.
    Sadly I did not have no more barrels that are long enough and fit these.

1 x 24,8 cm
    1 x 29,9 cm

Fred Schultz is alive! Freddy the Ref was able to do an interview with him!

https://youtu.be/6WNuK0G8oeI