<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by M-a-s-sDriver:
Well, I've been thinking about this, and the conclusion I come to is that there painty-ball thingy Does not, cannot, would not, and is completely unwilling to go 50,000 feet per second, no matter how much to beg. The problem with the formula (50,000 x.006 =300) is that you are assuming the paintball travels 300 feet in .006 seconds, because that is how fast it would have to go in that amount of time to hit 50,000 fps. A mile is 5280 feet. For this logic to work, it means that poor little paintball has to go 2840 miles per hour. That is approximatly mach 4. That is the muzzle velocity of a .308 sniper rifle. (ARMY, step in here if my ballistics are wrong buddy). A paintball has a muzzle velocity closer to an arrow released out of a 70# bow.
Now, If that ball got anywhere NEAR 50,000 fps, you would have to decelerate the poor thing back down to 300 fps somewhere in the barrell. Unfortunatly, all the two piece extremme porting in the world won't do that.
Sorry guys. The math is wrong here. Think about it some more and you will see.
Respectfully, Brent Jackson, PFB.
</font>
Sorry M-a-s-sDriver,
But you have your units wrong here. The ball does not travel 50,000 ft/sec the speed of sound is 1,088 ft/sec and the paintball does not even approach the speed of sound.

It does however excellerate at a rate of 50,000 ft/sec/sec. Acceleration is the rate at which velosity changes. This means for every second that passes the balls velosity would change by 50,000 ft per sec. So in 0.006 seconds (the amount of time it is in the barrel) it changes from 0 to 300 fps. The math stands as
50,0000 ft/sec/sec X 0.006sec = 300 ft/sec
Please note the units used.
Please do not take this the wrong way. I am only trying to explain and if it sounds condicending I am sorry. Physics is one of my favorite things.
Hitmanng

------------------
"I would rather hit once than miss 140 times."