Thread: 2004 IAO Review

2004 IAO Review

I havn't seen anything like this yet.

Tradeshow Vendors:

Let's face it, one of the major draws at any large tournament is the vendor area. A large portion of the paintballers at these events aren't playing, they are there for the tradeshow and to watch. IAO has always been famous for its tradeshow, supposedly the largest tradeshow around. This year was a fairly pitiful showing if this was supposed to be an impressive tradeshow. Now, some will argue that the Denver NPPL last weekend hurt the tradeshow. Granted, it would have made me rough on vendors, but they could have arrived by thursday or so. It wasn't impossible. Do the vendors just not care about IAO anymore? Dye, WDP, KAPP, Freeflow, Oddysey, CSG, and a few other vendors simply didn't show up. There were less trailers, and the large vendor tent and main vendor barn were startlingly empty. Everyone in attendence was commenting on the lack of vendors. It is a SERIOUS problem that needs to be addressed. IAO isn't simply a tournament, its an event. Without the vendors, there simply won't be an IAO as we know it.

The Games:

When I heard there were only 16 teams signed up for the 7-man, I knew there was a problem. Last year there were something like 77 teams. What happened to kill the attendance? Well, for one, Debra moved 7-man to earlier in the week, swapping it with 5-man. She hoped to draw roughly the same number of 7-man teams, and increase the number of 5-man teams. I'm not sure of the exact count of how many 5-man teams showed up, but I doubt it made up for 61 7-man teams. If you were running a large paintball event, where large profits are made off paint, wouldn't you want to keep the event that uses the most paint (7-man) at a time when it draws the most players? This one had to hurt in the pocket, which should inspire some change next year. One thing I did notice was a lot less complaints about reffing this year. While there were the ever-present grumbles, they seemed quieter and less common. I think the reffing class they held must have helped, as for the most part the refs seemed much better than most tournaments I've seen. Incidents of bad reffing seemed fairly few and far between.

Due to these factors, attendance was definitely down this year as well. The fairgrounds simply didn't feel as crowded. Last year, when AO went out to the Lone Star, we had like 40 people. This year, when we went out to dinner we had way less except when we went out with other owners groups and such. It was the same across the board, paintballers simply weren't showing up. Did they read about the lack of vendors before they left? Bad timing? I'm not sure. Someone needs to work on this next year.

Overall, IAO this year was a severe dissapointment when compared to last year. The Owners Group division was awesome, but a lot of other parts slipped. A lot of people said they weren't planning on returning next year, or they said if there wasn't a major improvement by next year, they wouldn't bother on planning any more trips to IAO ever.

It would be a real shame to see IAO die, it is one of the best events in paintball where truly anyone can be involved. I honestly hope Debra listens to what players were saying and somehow manages to restore IAO to its glory days.

I am sure paintball is like any other industry: If you are not growing you’re dieing. From what I have read/heard around the pb community it would seem that traditions need to be broken and future actions need to be reevaluated. What worked in the past does not always work in the future.

Besides, the dust is still settling from the SP fallout. Probably not going to see many new gun designs 'till maybe next year? Then the whole K2, a/c issues....

I agree.... the Trade Show was quite dissapointing this year. Dispite there being a bunch of new companies out there.... some people didn't even bother coming - Dye, ShockTech, Eclipse, Odyssey.... WDP only had a small booth... Redz wasnt there either... crappiness.

As a corrective note, as I played in the 7man last year with BlackCell... there were about 47-50ish teams in the 7-man division. This year there were a pitiful 16. Thor, we should played in that division, probably woulda placed better than the OG division, heheheh...

Overall, I had a great time, hopefully its gonna be aight for next year, or I'm just gonna start attending the major NPPL things.

-baller

That WDP booth wasnt even WDP, one of their dealers just set up a booth for them. I forgot about Shocktech and Redz not being there.

I thought I head 77 teams last year, but in any case, 16 teams is SAD.

You want to know something sad, the MI monster game had Evil, Redz and Shocktech. Not to mention a few vendors that left IAO to come, these would include tippman, centerflag and palmer. Something about this just don't seem right.
    You are the Wormtongue of AO.~bofh

Freebies were non existant. Usually we head home with a back seat full of posters, keycahins, stickers, etc...... SQUAT this year.

What bothers me besides the lack of venders, when I would ask "how much" for this or that, I always heard the MSRP, there seemed to be no deals (ormaybe price fixing). AGD had the tent sale, but that was just old stuff, I didn't notice any deals on the new stuff. Heck, even national/888 quoted me more for a mask then they pulbish in their ad's.

amongst the vendor no-show's (on Friday) besides those mentioned were centerflag, APP,action markers ,EMR too. (compared to last years attendance).

speaking of AGD, what did they sell and did they have anything left?

AGD missed the boat by going to IAO instead of the MI Monster Game.

All these little shops are selling thier scenario style Model 98s and A-5s with all the milsim add ons for 600$+, AGD could have made an ABSOLUTE KILLING if they had even a small booth with Tac-1s at $450...

Centerflag, Redz, Shocktech, Tippmann, Evil, Palmer's, Gunslingers, K&P Customs, Pro Team Products, Hammerhead Barrels, several other smaller shops, and don't forget Magnum Boots with Tabby signing posters...

I've heard player counts of 4,000+ over the weekend, plus others who didn't play both days.

Gameplay was a bit un-organized, but reffing was a bit better than usual. Air prices are the big killer, 20 center for 100 PSI! even with the air card deal they offer its expensive...

All in all a very cool event, Wyn1370, Datapimp69, PureEvil, Psychochicken, myself, and several other AOers (and mag shooters) were there.

---Fred
    Warp Feed Evangelist
    My Feedback

Some vendors at IAO split half way during the week to cover both IAO and the MI Monster Game.... Palmers and Tippman both left half the staff at iAO and the other half drove out to the MI game.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoBaller
    Some vendors at IAO split half way during the week to cover both IAO and the MI Monster Game.... Palmers and Tippman both left half the staff at iAO and the other half drove out to the MI game.
    you see Michigan paintball rocks, all you suckers must bow down and come here next year.

the monster game should be a Large AO gathering next year.

oh, and the number i heard was just some where over 5000 people this year. they had 3800 pre registered.

MI rules

from the judge in the WDP v Sp case.... " i find it significant that aside from a somewhat limited notebook produced by gaston, the four named inventors offer NO documentation of there work or there contributions to the conception or reduction to practice of the claimed invention"

I was very disappointed in the tradeshow. No Dye, Evil, Free Flow, Odyssey, Shocktech, PMI, Raven, Zap, OTB, Redz, WDP, or Action Markers.

Paint was INSANLEY priced. The blaze shot like crap and bounced like crazy.

Debra, the promotor/organizer, is the biggest ever! I tried asking her a few questions and she kept trying to ride off in her golf cart or she would look away and spark up a ciggarette. She is very rude.

The event wasn't very well organized. No one could even tell me where or when the open play was. Half the questions I asked, no one could answer. I dont think I will be attending next year. I will only come if the OG division is brought back.
    Dub V

Where greatness is learned
    and couches are burned

Quote Originally Posted by wyn1370
    You want to know something sad, the MI monster game had Evil, Redz and Shocktech. Not to mention a few vendors that left IAO to come, these would include tippman, centerflag and palmer. Something about this just don't seem right.
    I suggest that TK is not alone in seeing scenario as the future of the paintball business. You get more players at big games than at tourneys, and almost none of them are looking for a sponsorship. And because rec players don't practice, a lot of them are not fully equipped when they arrive, and are looking to buy their gear on-site.

I'd bet there are a lot more big games than tourneys with 1000+ players, too.

Jeff P
    Secretary
    The Canadian Contingent Paintball Club
    Cousins - EMR - PaintStorm - Odyssey - StraightShot

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy-CanCon
    I suggest that TK is not alone in seeing scenario as the future of the paintball business. You get more players at big games than at tourneys, and almost none of them are looking for a sponsorship. And because rec players don't practice, a lot of them are not fully equipped when they arrive, and are looking to buy their gear on-site.

Wow, good points Jeffy.... I never thought o Scenarios in that sense..

For what it's worth, I completely agree with Thor on this one. If it weren't for the prank war, the event would have been boring as hell for non-players such as myself.

I go to the IAO for the AO people, the trade show, and the neat things you can learn from the vendors when they're drunk at 2AM. Last year was fun as hell-- the tradeshow was huge, the reffing wasn't great, but the games were, and EVERYONE was talking about them.

This year? Four vendors in the main tent does not make for a good showing. No one talked about the games, and didn't pay attention to the scoreboards. Last year everyone was in a tizzy over the outcome of games/divisions, and this year? "Meh, let's go back to the hotel."

As someone mentioned above, Debra is probably the most ill-mannered event organizer I've ever spoken to. While us lowly paintball players may not have that much of an effect as individuals, as a group, we pull alot of money around with us. There are several people who have discontinued plans to go to the next IAO already. I'm in that group--and I'm sure Target Practive is as well. If next year is anything like this, we won't miss much. Debra needs to ge ther PR skills in shape-- I may detest most human beings, but as some of you can attest to, I'm a nice person, and at the very least, somewhat approachable.

I wandered around the event with a camera, and found nothing of interest to photograph. No interesting booths, no huge crowds, no new fantastic products. Most of the pictures on my camera are from the Sheraton, and the Distillery. Almost 100. Maybe 12 or so more pictures are of the event.

In short, It sucked. I have no plans to travel for 12+ hours next year for a dissapointing, low turnout event.
    Such a sham(e).

Wow, glad I saved my pennies and time off for Shatnerball, instead.

Moorewatch

If you read this, thank a teacher.
    If you read this in English, thank a soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy-CanCon

thats true.. But for paint, even if theres only 200 to 1000 people at a tournament, there is alot more in paint sales.

IAO sounded like crap though, with paint at what it was its no surpriise people would rather play denver then this.

This was the 9th time I have played IAO and about my 11 oe 12 time being there. Since moving to the fiargrounds 3 years ago it has gone down hill. The first year, there was a huge turn out. Every company had a booth or trailer, you could not walk 10 feet without tripping over something. There were a lot of games, and a lot of people playing. Last year, it sucked, and this year it was even worse. If something does not happen the event will not exist in a few years.

I think the split of NPPL and PSP had a lot to do with it. I also think all the lawsuites have something to do with the lack of new product. I also think the lack of new product has a lot to do with the lack of vendors. Not only do I see IAO going down hill, I see the industry as a whole doing the same.

That being said, the Owners Group Division was a blast and I hope that anyone that does show up next year, comes over to cheer on their favorite OG, even the IOG guys.

One thing I want to say about IAO was the reffing was AWESOME! I hope they all realize what a great job they did. Last year I witnessed and was part of alot of reffing altercations and this year all of my games were reffed efficiently and fairly, and I didnt even see any problems. Great job guys!
    2k3 Equalized Nasty Impulse
    ---------------------------------------
    Crossfire 45/45k
    ---------------------------------------
    AO Feedback
    PBN Feedback
    eBay Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Muzikman

That being said, the Owners Group Division was a blast and I hope that anyone that does show up next year, comes over to cheer on their favorite OG, even the IOG guys.

The OG division made this event worth coming to. The games were very fun to watch. Good rivalries. The POG vs. POG game was probably the best game I saw all weekend. OG DIVISION

I was also upset there was no documentation of my superman dive.

I'm not surprised by the low vendor turnout. Some of you may not know this, but the vendors must pay to get a spot there. And since the IAO was so close to the Denver event, they felt there was not as much of a need to come. Less people would show b.c of Denver. They decided to go to Denver and then didnt want to pay again for a smaller crowd, probably less sales, and more driving.

I hope next year isn't as bad. They know what they need to do, hopefully they'll do it.
    Hey, look at that! It's Santa!

You gotta look in the right places- America's Funniest Home Videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Thordic
    I was also upset there was no documentation of my superman dive.

to put it simply...IAO 2004 SUCKED!