Thread: First inspiration for the 'Automag'?

First inspiration for the 'Automag'?

Before I got into paintball, I enjoyed looking at old firearms and would sometimes go to the range with my dad or go to the local show. Before I ever knew about AGD, I knew about the Automag. I am not talking about the AGD Automag. In the Mid 1970s, a small company came out with the first( I think it was the first) production .50 cal semi auto pistol, and named it the Automag. This was the stuff of legends...57 oz. of stainless steel, it was sucha massive weapon...if I was to compare it to all other pistols being cars, it would be a semi-truck...it was so powerful, it was used mostly for metallic silhouette shooting. I got the pleasure to see one of these weapons at a local firearm shop and it was a thing of beauty...lemme see if I can dig up an old picture of it...

Interesting history lesson...this is how I came to my knowledge of the AGD...I was looking in an old paintball magazine...then I saw the name Automag, and though "thats gotta be a good gun!" Then a few years later, my friends get me interested in paintballing...and it seems natural that I remember that name....Automag...then I get on this forum, and the rest is history.

Tom...did this design in any way inspire you? If you look at the picture, the basic design is almost identical to the Automag paintball gun.

If any of the moderators feel that this post is out of place on the main forum, since it talks about firearms, please feel free to move it to the friendly corner.

Don't you think they bear some resemblance?

The first inspiration of the automag....

....pvc pipe.

Here is another one. If you look real close, you can see the word 'Automag' on the side of the body.

i knew about the Automag firearm before AGd also. As u, i remembered the name
    Tough Times Wont Last Forever...
    Tough People Will ~ Darryl Kile R.I.P. 2002

they used to make a .30 carbine I was real fond of, I thought it would be cool to have a pistol that shot rifle ammo
    "if I over shoot you, will you respect me in the morning?"

"Dirty Harry" turned in his S&W 44 Magnum for an AutoMag. I forgot which movie that was, though.

Dave,

Yes you are quite right, the original real gun was the insperation for the name of our gun. It was not the insperation for the design as we named it after we finished it. The original name during development was P3 for "Panther 3". The Panther was our first gun, there was a second blow back prototype named P2 then the proto that lead to the Mag.

AGD

Hey Tom, how does the Automag keep up now beyond 3 bps, without dropoff, as opposed to before?
    3bps to 26bps, hm that's an improvement, i must say.

Well, that truly is "History" hehehe:
    68 Automag "History"

some field in NoVA with a ton of pods ready to be dumped

Re: The first inspiration of the automag....

Originally posted by MagMan5446
    ....pvc pipe.

I was SO gonna say that!
    If you found the right size pipe, you could basically take the mags internals and stick in the thing.. that would be a sight.. walk on the feild with a PVC gun wit ha grip fram duct tpaed to the bottom.

lol actually this kid used to make them that way. he found the right size, and made himself a centerfeed body and spray painted it black, all out of PVC pipe. He sold them to some people for like $40 till someone got pissed cause it was a plastic body with superglue.
    ~Chaos
    chaos@cazorp.com
    NutBuster.net
    Team AO, SoCal

Wanna talk to a REAL skanline guntech? Email smackmyass@cazorp.com

Yeah, I am the one who went crazy on him, it was a piece of PVC that was all carved up, and glued. It was such a POS, and he told countless lies. I still have that thing somewhere, if you took one shot with it, that ring inside the body would have been blown to hell.