Thread: Hydro-Dipped Carbon Fiber MAG

Hydro-Dipped Carbon Fiber MAG

Hey what's up, still doing some fine-tuning (I know, waiting to get a larger bolt for the foregrip to put it on correctly), but I figured id post my MAG up here to show another awesome technique available to graphic out a gun (or any surface for that matter). Its HydroDipping, similar to plasti-spray/dip. but you just use a paper thin material and quick clear coat. I was tryin it out myself as just a hobby, saw stuff about it on the internet, going ok, Im alriiiiiiight at it, ha. But just recently a Hydrographics shop opened in my town, so I figured id let a "pro" take a try at doin up my MAG, im going to have him dip a few parts again just to be sure we got it at its best, but here is some trial photos, held up fine this last weekend and no knicks or scrapes. I got a Lapco barrel, cp drop and feedneck dipped as well for $80..... Let me know what ya think! Thanks.

photobucket.com/user/kingkine/media/20131111_115516.jpg.html][/URL]
    Last edited by Cali_Mag; 11-13-2013 at 05:38 PM.

The complete process was $80. It looks pretty sharp.

looks great

does your fore grip move back any so that its not sticking out past the rail?

MOTY3
    Beautimus...I had a Mag build dipped as well and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteN0ise View Post
    The complete process was $80. It looks pretty sharp.
    Yup, more parts more discount.

Quote Originally Posted by rukh013 View Post
    looks great
    Sure does, that's why I put in "( )" that im "waiting to get a larger bold for the foregrip to put it on correctly," but I meant "bolt"

trade ya my ymag for yours ? lol that looks sick !!!

that is very nice looking. question, was the rail and body totally dipped or did they have to mask off where the rail and body touch?

That response earlier was meant for need4reebs, not rukh013

Quote Originally Posted by C_losjoker View Post
    that is very nice looking. question, was the rail and body totally dipped or did they have to mask off where the rail and body touch?
    Ya, dipped the entire rail, only part i can recommend taping off is is the threads on a barrel if you decide to dip one. and if you get sick of a certain graphic or design you can sandblast it off and try sumthi n different or get it ano'd or powdercoated

Very nice. The only thing I see is the dip blured the lines of the Armada rail. I'm looking for ways to highlight the lines on mine. Still very nice.
    I took the road least traveled...now where the hell am I ?

watch out, this stuff is not nearly as tough as anno, and scratches easily.
    "because every vengeful cop with a lesbian daughter, is having a bad day, and looking for someone to blame"

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    Maybe not as tough as anodizing, but I've heard this stuff is pretty tough. I mean they use it to coat fenders on 4 wheelers and trucks. Still haven't really seen anyone give an in depth feedback on the durability though for a paintball marker. Seems like all the ones that end up dipped, end up as wall hangers.

Did find these:

Seems pretty durable to me...
    Last edited by OPBN; 11-14-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Does dipping damage the item at all? Can it be removed if you dont like it? Im looking to do similar to my mag plus a hopper.

Also what about feed neck threads and also barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
    Very nice. The only thing I see is the dip blured the lines of the Armada rail. I'm looking for ways to highlight the lines on mine. Still very nice.
    Maybe its just the quality of my camera phone, haha, but the lines definitely pop in person.

Perhaps you had a bad experience? played with it last weekend, not one scratch. as well as ive done a few dips myself in my garage, and no problem. Im sure if you throw it across the room at a concrete wall, yea, its eventually going to wear and scratch. I grew up building and riding street bikes, ive powdercoated and annod just about anything you can think of, and there are a lot of little parts I wish I could of had dipped, sometimes the other alternatives are too expensive and time consuming. Anno color can fade as well if the part is used consistently and out in the sun all the time, as well as if you want numerous color changes through the time of owning the part, heating and reheating and reheating over time weaken the metal as well, but im speaking from bike parts, never had a gun annod, but a local friend has his done, and it looks great for solid or blended/fade/splash color schemes, with hydro dip you can get full on printed images to adhere to your surfaces. Also know a guy who has his mirrors and front grille dipped on his bmw, no chips or dents in it yet, im sure some variation in quality of life would depend on layer of clear coat added as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Maybe not as tough as anodizing, but I've heard this stuff is pretty tough. I mean they use it to coat fenders on 4 wheelers and trucks. Still haven't really seen anyone give an in depth feedback on the durability though for a paintball marker. Seems like all the ones that end up dipped, end up as wall hangers.

Did find these:

Seems pretty durable to me...
    No wall hangers here, haha. My Hopper is next for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by capt spank View Post
    Does dipping damage the item at all? Can it be removed if you dont like it? Im looking to do similar to my mag plus a hopper.
    Nope, doesn't damage it at all, your just applying a super thin layer of like a paper material over the piece than spraying on a clear coat finish.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteN0ise View Post
    Also what about feed neck threads and also barrel?
    Ya, as I mentioned earlier, the barrel threads should be taped off. I didn't have any problems with the feedneck threads, but it probably wouldnt hurt to tape em as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Runamok View Post
    I think with dip, ano or any other treatment you get done. If you get one solid color you will show the lines, if you go multi colors, acid wash or lots of graphics it would hide the lines.

You did this yourself, or had a company do it for you?

[QUOTE=Cali_Mag;2844666]That response earlier was meant for need4reebs, not rukh013

did you get a new bolt yet? tha dip is pretty Sa WeeT!

Looks good. I've found hydro dipping holds up pretty well under use, although it's not as robust as anodising. Had my GoG eNMEy dipped back in April and no dings or scratches so far and it's definitely not a wall hanger (although I do baby my equipment). I like the fact that you can select not only the pattern but the finish of the clear coat as well, to get either a flat or gloss finish.

Only thing to be aware of is that it can add a significant amount of material to parts (as there is usually a base coat, the pattern and a top coat) which throws tolerances completely out the window - so only apply to the external faces of parts like regs, barrels etc - not the internals.. Any good dipper should easily be able to seal off the internals prior to dipping.

This method seems like a winner for plastic pieces especially. I always prefer ano, but ano is costly and needs a more intensive stripping process. I would say for anything with plastic/polymer/cast aluminum that dipping and clear is the way to go. I've painted some things that were aluminum cast, like ion frames or tippmann bodies, which held up well. However, I think dipping and clear gives you limitless options for colors/designs.

all your camoflauged shotguns are dipped and have been for years now. as with anything care and usage determines a great deal to the longevity of a finish.

MOTY3
    ^^^Yes this and compound bows as well.

depends on what kind of hydro it is.

Do you have name address phone number link to this vender that did the hydro dip?

I personally suggest this guy on PBNATION :

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4023444

He did 2 rotors for me and they turned out awesome. Working with him on a mag project. Good prices and fast turn around. Also he has been doing more paintball gear then anyone out there cause he saw there is a market for it.

depends on who does it.
    a buddy from school does it back home as a profession, his stuff is super tough. but nock off stuff no matter how good it looks will always scratch like you are mentioning.