Thread: New guy with 68 Automag questions

New guy with 68 Automag questions

So let me start by saying “Hi”! I’m Brian from west MI, long time paintballer (mostly scenario) but I just fell into owning a 68 Automag. (My apologies if this post should be in the workshop)
    So, here’s my long story short. Both of my daughters (12 & 13) decided they want to start playing. Came across a killer deal on tons of gear. Seller says “not sure what all is there but I sent you everything paintball I own”. Got an A5, 98, some random Spyders and a 50 lb box of what’s best described as “stuff”.
    One thing was a toolbox full of parts that it took me a minute to figure out. Eventually put together it was a completely torn down 68 w/ a bunch of spare parts. So being the tinkering type guy I am, I set out to put this guy back together. I just need a braided airline yet and then I think it will be fireable.
    So, my question is, do I need to watch out for anything with these? Anything a 1st timer like myself may have missed? And as a side, anything you fine folks can tell me about it? All I know for sure is it has an aftermarket DYE double-trigger frame, a DYE squeeze barrel and a J&J ceramic barrel. Aside from that, all this is new to me. Thanks in advance!

Name:  6562D2DC-20F4-409E-8D70-8F6C8BB08B65.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  58.2 KB
    Name:  C7E7C6A6-305A-424F-AAE8-7294E2C296A9.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  65.9 KB
    Pics for reference

Some rubber grips or panels for the trigger frame would a start. A parts kit just incase you need to replace O-rings, bolt spring or plastic nubbin. Replace those metal nubbins for plastic ones. I think 2 come in the parts kit. You also might want want to hit up YouTube, you should still be able to find the old AGD videos concerning with maintenance and basic repairs for your automag. Aside from that, welcome to the fold and hope you have a great time with your automag.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6eKZJ9YYp4I

The link below is the full automag video that was included in the box of a new mag back in the day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zzd6pTzmo_0

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gundam V; 03-30-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Corrections/Additions

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam V View Post
    Some rubber grips or panels for the trigger frame would a start. A parts kit just incase you need to replace O-rings, bolt spring or plastic nubbin. Replace those metal nubbins for plastic ones. I think 2 come in the parts kit. You almighty want want to hit up YouTube, you should still be able to find the old AGD videos concerning with maintenance and basic repairs for your automag. Aside from that, welcome to the fold and bipe you have a great time with your automag

It actually has a set of what look to be modded DYE rubbers, I just left them off for the pics (screws missing). I will look into the rest though. Thanks!

What Gundam V said. A good o-ring rebuild and new plastic detents for the barrels is all you "need". Spend enough time here though and any alternate part imaginable will spark your interest. Mag parts are not getting cheaper though! (mainly because they last forever)

Quote Originally Posted by Zone Drifter View Post
    What Gundam V said. A good o-ring rebuild and new plastic detents for the barrels is all you "need". Spend enough time here though and any alternate part imaginable will spark your interest. Mag parts are not getting cheaper though! (mainly because they last forever)
    Forget parts, having multiple mag builds is a rather high possibility. Only cause it's hard to have only one configuration, style, etc. You want proof just ask the peeps of this community how many mags they own/in the process of building to add to their collection.

Welcome Brian, come on in and meet your new addiction...

Quote Originally Posted by Magoman View Post
    Welcome Brian, come on in and meet your new addiction...
    X2

Take a look here at your future mag wants :

https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...TM-Contest-*-*

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    X2

Take a look here at your future mag wants :

https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...TM-Contest-*-*

I’ve been doing a ton of looking around on the forum. I could easily see this being something that will get me in trouble with the wife. I do automation & controls (glorified maintenance) by trade but started out as a machinist/fabricator. Seeing what some of the guys around here have done, I’m definitely feeling like maybe it’s time to do some “government work” in my free time at the shop.

So say I went ballz out. Is there a local I should look to for machine work? I CAN do it but if these parts are regularly being turned via cnc then I’m at a disadvantage. I have an idea already and it involves copper.

Pretty sure Luke has some slug bodies made.

https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...58#post2922658

Good start if you wanted to do a one off body.

He probably has slug rails too....

MOTY3
    Before you fire it for the first time put 2 or 3 drops of approved oil into the valve, Automags like oil and it may go ahead and fix any leaks you may have. Anytime you put oil in it shoot it a few times without the barrel so you don’t get oil down the barrel.

Welcome DlyDragger! Hope you enjoy Mags as much as the rest of us.

Not sure your level of knowledge but if you are a complete Mag beginner, I should warn you that Mags don't like CO2 all that much. Yes, you can get a Classic Automag to run on it (I have) but things go much smoother with HPA. Your enemy is liquid CO2 so take steps to minimize it if you decide to use it.

Mags are very reliable and generally only need an oring or two if there are problems. They generally do take a bit of getting used to when firing. The stock Classic trigger isn't as forgiving as your normal blowback and can be "short stroked". This problem generally diminishes greatly with time.

Classic Automag detents aren't great with force fed hoppers. If you use one, try to minimize the force used to feed if it is possible. You can use them but you may experience some instances where the stack is pushed enough that you may have issues.

Oil...Mags love it. A few drops in the ASA before a day of play will keep your Mag happy.

Plastic detents...more user friendly than wire nubbins but both work.

Doc's barrel adaptor...a great addition if you have Cocker threaded barrels already and would like to use them.

This is the type of info I’m looking for. Im no noob to paintball but I’m an absolute noob when it comes to Automags.
    Of course I’ve heard of them but I’ve never seen/used one until I got this bag of parts. Most of my experience has been with building Tippmann or SP milsim guns.
    I have a problem, I like to know how things work and then tinker with them. From what I’ve seen here so far, I think I caught the same bug you fine folks have all because I opened a bag of parts.

You have two great barrels there, use em. They may not be the best with small paint and a force fed hopper. Forget the cocker adapters, if you go that route, go ULE.

Level 10 bolt if no one has mentioned it yet.

Lastly, that trigger. I find the triggers without a flat back tend to have inconsistent pulls and sometimes take higher force than needed. Get an AGD, Lukes, Nummech or Tunaman trigger. (personal opinion)

... And a foregrip if you want, 10-20$ to get setup with those

Quote Originally Posted by rnm410 View Post
    You have two great barrels there, use em. They may not be the best with small paint and a force fed hopper. Forget the cocker adapters, if you go that route, go ULE.

Level 10 bolt if no one has mentioned it yet.

Lastly, that trigger. I find the triggers without a flat back tend to have inconsistent pulls and sometimes take higher force than needed. Get an AGD, Lukes, Nummech or Tunaman trigger. (personal opinion)

So just replace the trigger? or is the entire DYE frame crap?

And the bolts... I like to know this stuff. What’s with the “level 10”? Just curious if someone can explain differences.
    -thx!

Lvl 10 prevents chops and is easier on brittle paint. Jump on YouTube and look up automag level 10. You should see lots of videos on it. Also, the trigger is purely personal preference. Play with it first to see if you like it before you purchase a different one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DlyDragger View Post
    So just replace the trigger? or is the entire DYE frame crap?
    Frame is good, just a silver pin that removes the tigger, where the safety should be.

You can get one here, or there are some for sale on the Facebook BST page, and probably at a better cost.

http://www.tunamart.com/index.php?c=27

Hi Brian and welcome!