Thread: Ball breaks

Ball breaks

Hey all,

I apologize if this has been answered many times over.
    I’m just getting back into things after taking many years off and I’l be honest, I can’t remember how everything works.

I was having a problem with the bolt not resetting properly at times. I’d have to push it back manually before I could shoot again and get it to stop leaking. I’ve since taken the valve apart, cleaned/oiled/replaced o-rings and it seems to be doing better. (Side question, is this the definition of bolt stick? I’ve seen the term thrown around but not a good explanation of whether it’s the bolt not resetting, or something else such as the marker not firing).

Right now I’m trying to deal with chopping balls. If I stick something in the breach like a squeege, the bolt will stop on it (and reset after a second). However, I have tried a few times where I was putting a ball half way into the breach, and they all just got sliced right in half.

It may just be that I have rather brittle balls (they do kind of feel hard and when thrown on the grown just kind of “snap” if that makes sense). I can’t remember, is there a way to adjust the force that the bolt moves forward at (other than dropping the pressure)? Does the “sensitivity” have to do with anything else?

Any input is appreciated.

Yes that is bolt stick.

Adjust your L10, either take a shim out or put one in.

Now, where are the ball breaking at?

If in the breech: then its a chop. Look at your hopper, your L10(assuming you have one), or your powertube plug.

If in the barrel: look at the barrel, the bore size of the barrel and the paint.

We would jeed more details of your gun. Do you have a powerfeed, straight feed, vert feed, ULE bodies? What kind of hopper do you have? Which valve & does it have an L10 kit? What barrel are you using?

Heh, I should have added more details.
    Regarding the ball breaks, it's definitely in the breach. This isn't from a hopper, it's me doing testing and positioning one half way in the breach by holding it in position with tape.

L10 x-valve, ule, all that good stuff.
    Does switching to a different spring have an impact on the sensitivity of the level 10 bolt?

Switching tbe spring; not really. But if the bolt is chopping the ball, then you need to reset your L10. You shouldn't be chopping period.

With that, start with the smallest carrier, add shims when necessary. The spring should be, when placed on the bolt, above the tip of the bolt. Also, with your finger, run it along the tip of the bolt. Make sure there are no sharp edges.

Starting with the smallest carrier? I'll give it a try.
    I can confirm that the spring is above the tip of the bolt (longer than the bolt).
    I'll double check for any sharp edges on the bolt as well..
    Thanks.