Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nummech N-mag frame - 2020 updates

Nummech N-mag frame - 2020 updates

Hello! I know some people are waiting for the next batch of Nmag frames so I want to do an update thread to highlight some of the changes, since there's a few new aspects that have been adjusted as of this batch.

For reference, there have been two prior batches of N-mag frames. The first was in 2017 (which are not marked to identify) and the second batch in late 2018 (which are engraved "2018" on the side). The single-trigger frames all came from the 2018 batch. This newest 3rd batch is obviously marked 2020; any frame bought new after the pandemic would be the new stuff.

As of right now, the frames are all milled but not totally finished. We're working on the secondary parts like ASAs, safeties, and whatnot.

Okay here's the changes:

1. Added a small relief cut on the top surface which assists in compatibility with rails that extend their sear below the bottom of the rail surface like the classic and H1 hybrid rails. Previously this caused a compatibility problem with earlier N-mag frames since they had solid material directly under the sear, so there was no room for it. Luke messaged me with some info and we got a pretty easy solution to keep everything matched up across the board.

2. The internal reg blocker looks different, but functions the same. Just wanted to make it more lightweight.

I know I know, the pneumag drop in STILL isn't available that's a high priority for the upcoming season since many people have been asking for it. Just need machine time...

3. For the single-trigger frames, the trigger guard's edge radius is now slightly bigger and more rounded when it comes out of the CNC. Afterward that area will get smoothed out by hand with a buffing wheel. I found that nobody complained about it being "too smooth" (if there is such a thing, lol) but a couple people said they wished this area was more rounded. We've been doing it by hand since the 2018 frame batch, however it was a manual buffing operation. Going forward it's directly built into the frame's machining, while ALSO a quick final buff by handsmoothed by hand, so you get a combination of the two while making it easier for us to produce.

4. The safety button is a little more comfortable compared to past versions. Had to spend more time to smooth it out. We're probably going to use a slightly lighter safety detent spring too since that makes it easier to push.

5. New ASA design, called the "saddle ASA" which uses a cam lever similar to a feedneck (except the lever only opens like a quarter of an inch, so it won't get broken off). This lever ASA is quicker and easier to operate, but takes more work to manufacture compared to the simple ASA knob system used on previous frames. Regardless it's probably the biggest change going forward since the new design is very different on the outside, and its internals are totally different too.
    Main reasons for this change:
    - The purge system is MUCH more reliable since it uses a small pin that slides inside of the sealing o-ring, instead of using a tiny vent port. The previous knob-ASA was easy to rebuild, but hey why not improve it.
    - The pressurized pin surface on the inside is small, so it can be used with high-output tanks if you so choose. That's the best part about it since it's reliable across any tank output.
    - Backwards-compatible with earlier frames, so you could install the new saddle ASA onto any earlier Nmag frame if you wanted to buy the assembly. Additionally it's also compatible with our drop forward if you're running one of those.
    - The ASA housing still has the optional 1/8" NPT port if you want to attach something down there.

The above pictures show the original prototype which is similar in design, but the lever is stupidly small. The lever got beefed up immediately after making the test parts, so the version you'll see actually looks more like the CAD screenshot below. The lever only swings out a quarter inch, so it can't be broken off.

6. New purpose-built air fittings are soon available direct from Nummech. This isn't strictly related to the Mag frame since they're common 1/8" NPT parts, but I wanted to mention them here since many Mag owners will likely pick up a pair along with the frame. (they're NOT required but we will have them if you want).
    In brief, they're machined banjo swivel fittings that are mega easy to use and purpose-built for these frames. They're very different from the CCM design that appear to be intended for small size being the most important factor... these new fittings are just a smidgen larger but it allows a true swivel banjo that can be rotated anytime, pressurized or not.
    Anyway we're making the fittings with two different threaded stems (long and short) which are specifically built for the N-mag standoff distance. Naturally they can be used with any other marker too. And yes we also have straight fittings as well, cause it'd be silly not to offer those...

Those will be available separately soon, once the stainless stems are machined.

AND SO that's a list of the changes with these frames, be it small or large. I wanted to get everything uploaded onto AO so peeps can see the development. There were tiny changes with the earlier frames so this stuff is pretty major, can't wait to get em done and available
    Andy "Ydna" DuBuc
    Nummech Products & ZDSPB

Dude, these are awesome changes!!! Andy, thanks for the update!! I'm so ready to get one of your frames and the fittings as well. Can't wait!!
    JB
    Aggie Class of '09

glad to see this come to fruition. keep up the awesome work!

Neato

Looks amazing, can't wait to pick one up!

All the little things to make a good product better - it's much appreciated. Thanks for catering to the 'Mag market and still believing in drop forwards. I'll grab one of these frames whenever the NecroMag or EdgeMag become available!
    >>WTB<< Sydarm w/ constant air__WarpedMephisto half-c/f body__Ac!d c/f trigger__TASO humpback frame__an Oh-Mag

well somebody's gotta be the one to make drops in the current age!

Looks great!
    Now all that remains is to make the one that uses a classic RT valve with a custom banjo thumbscrew so it gets air from the frame instead of the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by bowcycle View Post
    Looks great!
    Now all that remains is to make the one that uses a classic RT valve with a custom banjo thumbscrew so it gets air from the frame instead of the rail.

This should work like that as is, you would just put the air fitting in the rail, instead of the valve.....

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    This should work like that as is, you would just put the air fitting in the rail, instead of the valve.....
    yes, but the way I described removes all external fittings, makes it really easy to remove the valve (just unscrew the banjo thumbscrew), and allows you to use regular mag parts instead of only RT-classic ones (as long as you have the valve sleeve).

The existing frames are really cramped around the thumbscrew, so it would need some mods to work. I looked into it a little while ago after a buddy lent me his Classic to measure. I think it *could* be done but would require some tweaking, so I dunno if that'll ever happen. there has to be enough demand for it hmmm

How do I go about getting one of these when they pop up for sell? Is there a list or do I just keep checking the Nummech site?

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    The existing frames are really cramped around the thumbscrew, so it would need some mods to work. I looked into it a little while ago after a buddy lent me his Classic to measure. I think it *could* be done but would require some tweaking, so I dunno if that'll ever happen. there has to be enough demand for it hmmm
    What scenario would need the tweaking ?

1) Drilling the thumb screw hole big enough for the banjo bolt and using the macro fittings to pass air into the rail

2) Or using the frame bored out for the banjo bolt with direct air , no macro fittings into the rail

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    What scenario would need the tweaking ?

1) Drilling the thumb screw hole big enough for the banjo bolt and using the macro fittings to pass air into the rail

2) Or using the frame bored out for the banjo bolt with direct air , no macro fittings into the rail

option 2.

Working on the new promo pictures for the machined air fittings and whatnot~~

Badass, can’t wait

I need this, like right now!?!??!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Will the straight fitting fit an inception EZ on/off or a pops?

I want when available plz

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up23 View Post
    pops does not use a standard 1/8 npt fitting so no. Inception EZ on/off does.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_q_up23 View Post
    Here is a few side by side pics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I was curious how it would look on either of those if possible

Here is a quick shot of the difference between ccm and Nummech fittings. I was curious of the size difference.

Hope that helps!!

I like the swivel action and the banjo bolt on the nummechs. Now just waiting on the frames.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I bought them already. They are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by djinnform View Post

What if you went from frame to valve and on/off asa to reg?

The way you have it is very unique.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Thats gotta be in the top 5 craziest plumbing jobs I've ever seen.

Any updates on production?

I'm ready to buy please hurry