Thread: Ford 3.0 V6 Powerstroke

Ford 3.0 V6 Powerstroke

So just brought home my new F150 this past weekend. It has the baby diesel 3.0 V6 in it. Anyone here have any experience with these baby diesels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have zero,
    but please let me know how you like it.
    whats the power and torque on this?

I didn't know Ford made little diesel engine's like that, I'll have to do some research on them.

My old '71 beater and daily driver
    (68 F100 project under the cover, previous daily driver for about 20 years)
    Name:  F100 Old Beater.JPG
Views: 883
Size:  141.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    i have zero,
    but please let me know how you like it.
    whats the power and torque on this?
    250 hp and 440 ft/lbs.

What is the expected lifetime on those?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I didn't know Ford made little diesel engine's like that, I'll have to do some research on them.

My old '71 beater and daily driver
    (68 F100 project under the cover, previous daily driver for about 20 years)
    Name:  F100 Old Beater.JPG
Views: 883
Size:  141.9 KB
    I think my dad had one similar to to that 71, I just barely remember it.

What is the expected lifetime on those?
    Not sure off the top of my head. I’ll have to research that.

Been saying for years that if Ford put a small diesel into the F150, it would double the sales.

The engine might be an international, since the 6.0 PowerStroke Diesels was from International, but Ford since parted ways with them. So it could be a internally developed diesel, or even from Ford Europe or their trucking lines, but changed to meet emissions for a passenger vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Been saying for years that if Ford put a small diesel into the F150, it would double the sales.

The engine might be an international, since the 6.0 PowerStroke Diesels was from International, but Ford since parted ways with them. So it could be a internally developed diesel, or even from Ford Europe or their trucking lines, but changed to meet emissions for a passenger vehicle.
    Ford Europe, it’s from the England engine plant.

i will stick to my 5.0 V8.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    i will stick to my 5.0 V8.
    Had the 5.0 in my 14, solid motor. looked at truck almost identical to the one I got but with a 5.0. The diesel just felt better when I test drove both. I’m guessing because it makes its peak torque of 440 ft/lbs at 1700 rpm. So you have that solid off the line feel.

dstud2000, sounds like you weren't to impressed with the Coyote 5.0? I've never driven anything with one, but I've been running 289,302&351's for almost 40 years, the new 5.0 always seemed like the Holy Grail for 302's(?) That said my OLD worn out 390fe was ridiculously fun to drive, makes the 302 feel silly. lol

"5.0 Coyote
    360-460 HP
    380-420 ft-lb torque

In 2018, ford switched from the more traditional cast iron sleeves in the block to the Plasma Wire Arc Transfer cylinder liner technology. This increased the bore diameter from 92.2 to 93.0 mm (3.63 to 3.66 in) and brought total displacement up from 4,951 to 5,035 cc (302 to 307 cu in). The Gen 3 Coyote engine features dual-fuel, high-pressure direct injection with low-pressure port fuel injection and an increased compression ratio of 12.0:1. These changes are relevant to both the Mustang GT and F150 with 5.0 V8s.

For the 2018 Mustang GT, the Gen3 5.0 engine also was equipped with new camshafts, enlarged intake and exhaust valves, and revised intake manifold, that moved redline to 7,500 rpm."

dstud2000, sounds like you weren't to impressed with the Coyote 5.0? I've never driven anything with one, but I've been running 289,302&351's for almost 40 years, the new 5.0 always seemed like the Holy Grail for 302's(?)

"5.0 Coyote
    360-460 HP
    380-420 ft-lb torque

In 2018, ford switched from the more traditional cast iron sleeves in the block to the Plasma Wire Arc Transfer cylinder liner technology. This increased the bore diameter from 92.2 to 93.0 mm (3.63 to 3.66 in) and brought total displacement up from 4,951 to 5,035 cc (302 to 307 cu in). The Gen 3 Coyote engine features dual-fuel, high-pressure direct injection with low-pressure port fuel injection and an increased compression ratio of 12.0:1. These changes are relevant to both the Mustang GT and F150 with 5.0 V8s.

For the 2018 Mustang GT, the Gen3 5.0 engine also was equipped with new camshafts, enlarged intake and exhaust valves, and revised intake manifold, that moved redline to 7,500 rpm."
    It’s not that I wasn’t impressed with it, the 5.0 in my 14 was solid, towed my boat without a care through all seasons even the winter when I would tow through snow and ice to go steelhead fishing in the rivers in the middle of January. Not one complaint. I’m just saying that from a daily driver perspective the 3.0 making its torque so quickly gives you a different feel. My 18 with the 3.5 eco was a beast, slightly better gas mileage than the 5.0 and the grunt of its higher torque made pulling trailers easy. Even pulled out the family tractor that buried all the way to the bottom of the frame with it. The difference I’ve noticed with the 3.0 and I am assuming a lot of diesels are like is just how soon you make that peak torque and secondly the fuel cost savings once you are at speed. So far my 3.0 is avg about 24 mpg combined driving but I only have about 400+ miles on it my 3.5 was avg 18.8 mpg combined and my 5.0. avg was about 16.9 mpg combined. A lot of that I believe is due to where the engines power bands, hence the peak torque of the 3.0 being so early in the rev range, and also the rpms at speed.

My dad has the 2.7 eco and it is an impressive little gasser too 325 hp with 400ftlb, it is actually quite quick with good throttle response and he gets an avg 21 mpg combined driving.

As far as the f150 goes, any of the EcoBoost motors, the 5.0, or the 3.0 would be welcome under the hood of my truck. but since I am buying this time instead of leasing I went for the truck that was basically everything I wanted and like I said earlier I have been wanting a diesel option but just could never justify the superduty with a diesel for what I use my truck for.

Thanks for the insight, just what I was fishing for.

Thanks for the insight, just what I was fishing for.
    Glad to help Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by dstud2000 View Post
    As far as the f150 goes, any of the EcoBoost motors, the 5.0, or the 3.0 would be welcome under the hood of my truck. but since I am buying this time instead of leasing I went for the truck that was basically everything I wanted and like I said earlier I have been wanting a diesel option but just could never justify the superduty with a diesel for what I use my truck for.

The answer is right there. You wanted a truck, with a diesel but didn't want/couldn't afford a Superduty.

I am sure the economy of the diesel when under a load should put a gas motor to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    The answer is right there. You wanted a truck, with a diesel but didn't want/couldn't afford a Superduty.

I am sure the economy of the diesel when under a load should put a gas motor to shame.
    It’s looking like it should, the motors not even close to broke in and I’m already almost at. 6 mpg increase over my previous truck with the 3.5 EcoBoost, and it should keep climbing as the motor breaks in:

dstud2000, sounds like you weren't to impressed with the Coyote 5.0? I've never driven anything with one, but I've been running 289,302&351's for almost 40 years, the new 5.0 always seemed like the Holy Grail for 302's(?) That said my OLD worn out 390fe was ridiculously fun to drive, makes the 302 feel silly. lol

"5.0 Coyote
    360-460 HP
    380-420 ft-lb torque

Forgot to mention. I have it on good authority that Ford will be releasing a cam in block pushrod motor for the f150 in 22, it will be in the 6 liter range, built in Windsor and based off the current 7.4 Godzilla motor you can get in the superduty trucks, and it will fit in a mustang.

So just brought home my new F150 this past weekend. It has the baby diesel 3.0 V6 in it. Anyone here have any experience with these baby diesels?

That's an awesome truck, dstud2000. I just can't, for the life of me, distinguish what specific tires and wheels you have (poor eyesight, my bad). I'm planning to mount a new set of mud tires and wheels and on my truck as well and I'm currently sorting out my options.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeem Russell View Post
    That's an awesome truck, dstud2000. I just can't, for the life of me, distinguish what specific tires and wheels you have (poor eyesight, my bad). I'm planning to mount a new set of mud tires and wheels and on my truck as well and I'm currently sorting out my options.
    Factory wheels and tires still. Goodyear wrangler territory at 275/65 r18 on the stock chromes that come with the XLT chrome package

How much did it cost?
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    How much did it cost?
    Sticker was 54K, got a few thousand in rebates and incentives and I get my dads z plan since he worked 49 years with Ford, so out the door taxes and title we close to 41k

Axed

3.0 V6 Powerstroke has been axed.

I saw that on FB. I’m hearing it’s due to the circuit chip shortage. My guess is due to our dictators in Washington. SMH

Quote Originally Posted by dstud2000 View Post
    I saw that on FB. I’m hearing it’s due to the circuit chip shortage. My guess is due to our dictators in Washington. SMH

He explains it pretty well in the video.

It's a very niche product that's doesn't sell well.

Less horsepower and torque than the 3.5 twin turbo too.

Fuel economy no better than the 3.5.