Thread: Haven’t played in a long time! Another outdated HPA tank question...

Haven’t played in a long time! Another outdated HPA tank question...

Wow I haven’t played paintball since about 2006 or so and it’s been a long time since I’ve been on here! I just dug out all of my old gear and decided I want to play again after this long hiatus! I was reading the recent post about outdated HPA tanks and and was wondering if I could reuse the regulator off my old tank? I have an old System-X 3000 psi tank that was manufactured in 2002 and it has a Centerflow fixed pressure regulator on it that I would like to use on a new tank if I can. If it is possible to reuse the reg the next question is would it be worth it? Or would I be better off buying a new tank and reg together?

You can buy a replacement tank and re-use the reg. But all carbon fiber tanks are now 4500 psi. Only 3000 psi tanks are the steel ones. So, unless you really like that reg, it might be better to just get a new air system. That's just my opinion though.

As a side note, I still use a flatline 3000 system on one of my mags, cause its still a good system and can get parts for it(more or less) so I just threw it on a 4500 tank.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gundam V; 11-29-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks Gundam! God I forgot all about the Flatline! I always wanted one back in the day but I was in high school at the time and I had to pay for all my gear so I just couldn’t swing it. So are the tank threads the same between 3000 and 4500 psi tanks? You just fill your 4500 up to 3000 max on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Automag88 View Post
    Thanks Gundam! God I forgot all about the Flatline! I always wanted one back in the day but I was in high school at the time and I had to pay for all my gear so I just couldn’t swing it. So are the tank threads the same between 3000 and 4500 psi tanks? You just fill your 4500 up to 3000 max on yours?
    Yes, if iirc the threads are 5/8-18. Also thats correct I only fill a 4500 tank to 3k because of the flatline reg. But I'm fine with it, since its a loaner gun. Everyone who comes along with me on my outings who plays with it always gives that gun and system praises. It hasn't bothered them to top off the tank at all. Also I should mentioned I have 4 air systems, 1 3k flatline, 1 4.5k flatline, a first strike hero regulator on a standard first strike tank and an immortal air aura regulator on am hk army 80c.i tank. My flatline 4.5k is basically on its last legs since there's hardly any parts avaliable. So, I'll be replacing it when it goes, and using it as a paper weight since I have no desire to get rid of it. I still have the original tank that I bought it with, so I'll probably put it back on mounted a may and have it buried with me and a when my time comes. Anyway point is, I'll be looking to get a new system or 2 myself. 1 is gonna be the new immortal air reg and maybe a powerhouse reg. Still on the fence for the second one, or maybe I'll try to find an armageddon or apocalypse 4.5k, since immortal air has some parts for them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just get a new 4500psi tank with a new reg.

You will want the output psi on the reg to be about 850 for use with Automags.

https://www.immortalair.com/product/...1-tank-package

Immortal Air (previously Air America) offers four different reg presets:

430psi – Xtra Low Pressure
    550psi – Low Pressure
    850psi – Mid Pressure
    1100psi – High Pressure
    Other pressures available please email sales@immortalair.com for more information on your request

If you get a new tank, just take the reg that comes with it, though I prefer to buy used and refurbish. If you want to keep the old reg, be sure to rebuild it with new o-rings! All the old semi-clear o-rings (forget the material) will be mush or worse by now. I actually find good deals on used aluminum 3000 psi tanks, and I'll get them hydro'd and cerakoted, then put a rebuilt reg on them. I do have some flatlines and they work just fine with aluminum 3000 tanks.

It's fun to get back into paintball. I usually get myself to one scenario game a year minimum, but unfortunately this year hasn't cooperated. This may be the first time since 2002 that I didn't get out to play once in a year.

welcome back to the sport Automag88! I think you will probably want to get a complete new tank:

1. I have yet to find a reputable store that sells just new cylinders. (if anyone knows one, I'd be interested).
    2. you could rehydro the tanks unless they are past the lifetime limit (if you find a fire extinguisher company, you can get them done around $25-$35 last time I did this).
    3. the newer 4500 psi tanks are very convenient - more shots for a smaller profile tank (no more hauling around a 88 cubic inch tanks)

The prices of tanks have dropped over the last couple of years (you can get a 48 cubic inch 3000 psi steel tank on sale for $40 - good backup tank; 68/4500 psi carbon fiber tank for under $200) and most fields are able to fill to 4500 psi.

I have a Ninja tank with high pressure output (900 psi I believe) and it works very well with my Tunamag RT valve gun. Many of the newer guns use low pressure, so its more common that the newer regulators are preset with moderate output pressure (it's not like the old days with Air America tanks where you can set the output pressure). Some regulators can be adjusted by adding shims.

good luck.